Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

car insurance?

Guys whats the company with decent rates?

So far td is the lowest of them all, statefarm quotes double of that. so weird.

Where else should i call?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

insurancehotline dot ca?

Can't remember if that gives you the local best 5-10 insurance quotes.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

TD is good. If you have a university or college education, their division Meloche Monnex is untouchable.

I pay $110 a month for my E30, and I have a totalled Camry on my record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I second TD meloche monnex... I have an 06 Acura TL, an 07 Acura MDX and an 07 Z4 3.0si and my house with them. All coverages included, I pay about $3600 a year, so $300 a month for 3 cars and my house. I have an accident on record (almost 10 years now, so soon off my record) and my wife has 2 not at faults. There's 1 or 2 tickets between us.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

They were raping my gf on a 13 year old Volvo and then a 10 year old Jag. She has a clean record.
Deep I guess Milton has its advantages? I think that plays a large role in insurance.

We are with the Personal but my understanding is you need to be with a union of some sort. She pays for 2 cars 15$ more than she paid for just one with monnex/TD

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Milton was about 10% cheaper then being in Mississauga.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Insurance scaMmers.
According to one insurance co, thornhill is a very dangerous area and there is a high chance his 6 year old Volvo wagon was going to be stolen or broken into. Haha. They are surrounded by parks, schools and synagogues with multi million dollar home around. Last place a thief is going to steal an old Volvo.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
Guys whats the company with decent rates?

So far td is the lowest of them all, statefarm quotes double of that. so weird.

Where else should i call?
A few years ago TD's rates almost doubled (4 increases in 12 months). This past year State farm had some significant increases. It's a cycle. Almost every company that operates in Ontario had an increase in the past 12 months, however, some did have decreases in specific areas/postal codes.

There is no one company with the best price. Every company has a target client. The trick is to find the company targeting you. If you are calling banks, direct writers, or agents, you are getting once price at a time. If you want to get a few quotes at once, call a broker. Every broker out there has at least 3 companies they represent, some have more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
insurancehotline dot ca?

Can't remember if that gives you the local best 5-10 insurance quotes.
It used to be top 3 quotes. I'm not sure what they are doing now.

I used to work with a web based quoting service. We stopped. Generally, these types of webpages make money by selling "qualified leads" to brokers for a flat fee. They are not overly concerned about accuracy as they get paid once your information gets sent to the broker/agent, not once you get the policy/price they teased you with. The lower the price offered, the greater chance of the client electing to be contacted = fee paid to web service. It can be a very frustrating process for both the prospective client and the broker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
TD is good. If you have a university or college education, their division Meloche Monnex is untouchable.

Meloche has some competitive pricing, but they aren't untouchable. Half of my clients who come from Meloche move for price alone, the other half are in situations that TD will no longer accommodate or are tired of dealing with a call centre. Many people pay more then they have to because they assume where there are is still the best just because it used to be six years ago.

If you are going to post up what you pay, try to include the bare basic info (ex: # of tickets, or # of years since an accident). It can help others figure out what options are available to them. I pay $120/mo for my 'vert with Wawanesa and have 5 at fault claims on my record. Without a time frame, that info is misleading as Wawa will not write a driver with 2 at faults in a 5 year period. Yes, I have 5 claims, but my last accident was in 2002. (I'm not a maniac, I used to drive a delivery truck)

Indiretly, MaxBell brings up an important point: When getting quotes ALWAYS REQUEST ACCIDENT FORGIVENESS.

Further to that: If you have an accident less than 2-3 yrs old and are receiving forgiveness, you are often best to stay with your current company.

Wherever you call for a quote, my best advice is to be as accurate as possible. It used to be that if you drive to work less than 20 km it was all the same price. This isn't the case anymore. Work out your exact annual mileage and your exact commute distance. Know your exact licencing dates. I had a case this week were a client guessed their G2 date, was off by 1 week and she would have been paying $300 more than necessary if it wasn't caught.

Good luck!

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
damameke
6th Gear Member

I was with the TD meloche monnex group for a long while until 2 years ago for my rate kept on going up(5 cars and a house); used the insurance hotline and RBC came up the cheapest, have been with RBC for 2 years now and last year Hockeyfan27 did a quote for me and he was a hundred or so more.

Give Hockeyfan27 a PM, his quote is competitive to the low side. then again based on your infraction.. if any...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

i currently have state farm. usually is been pretty good but last year they raised fees over 20% i think. Was ticketed in toronto and went to court and had it downgraded to failure to go in a green light. Guy at state farm said increase was due to ticket and province increases. makes me wonder what would happen if I actually get on an accident or make a claim.... might as well get some vaseline while I wait !! lol... thinking of switching ... we got 4 cars and house insurance.. will check with TD.. any other suggestions?
Colombian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post

If your car is less than 20yrs old Belairdirect is probably the best. They were offering me a better rate at renewal than TD MM. I only switched over because I have another car older than 20 yrs old and I didn't want to have to deal with two insurance companies. But to be fair the rate that TD MM gave me was pretty close to what Belairdirect was offering.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

This thread got my thinking about my insurance. Did the insurance hotline thing, came out that RBC had pretty good rates. Called them up - the quote was a little different the online, but close enough. I thought I was going to be switching!

RBC has INSANE home insurance rates - this is the problem. Now after it's all said and done, RBC is $4 HIGHER then TD per month when they started at $10 cheaper per month for just auto...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

so far quotes for 09 135i full cover , clean record im 29

td 169/m

rbc 340$

Bellair 310$

statefarm 370$

Td ftw so far.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
so far quotes for 09 135i full cover , clean record im 29

td 169/m

rbc 340$

Bellair 310$

statefarm 370$

Td ftw so far.
Big difference from the above quotes, wonder why...

Hockeyfan 27, why the big difference?

Key is to get quotes before any renewal,, loyalty does not get special rate anymore...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
fitter527
hates chrome

By switching from TD to TD MM,i recieved a much better coverage on both my home and auto insurance.and the best part the switch saved me $800/yr.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: