Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
No, no no.

If the car is over 15 years old, you still have to e-mail or fax your title to us export. You still have to stop at us export before crossing the border. You still have to go to canadian customs and fill out the RIV form 1. Except on that form, you check off [exempt - Over 15 years old.]

You DO still pay the RIV fee.
You DO still pay taxes.
You DO still pay the A/C tax.

Regarding plates in the USA: You can obtain temp plates from (almost) every state. Temp plates are ONLY valid in the state you are in. (If you buy a car in NC, get temp plates there, and get pulled over in NY, you have invalid plates.)

I wouldn't worry about plates too much. I've been pulled over in some ridiculous situations in the USA without valid plates, never had a problem. DO make sure you have insurance though. Your insurance company can usually suggest what they'd like you to do plate wise. Mine told me to stop in EVERY STATE and get a temp permit. No, thanks

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Really ? what's the point of the 15 year rule then ?
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^you dont have to pass RIV inspection (no going to canadian tire). You just take your completed form 1 to MTO and get an ownership (After you pay provincial taxes).

In alberta, there's yet ANOTHER inspection (out of province) that needs be be completed when importing an out of country car. We do save the HST though

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
HalifaxMMM
Know it all

Thanks for all your info on the temporary plates.

I'm trying to edit my main post to incorporate your contributions about the temporary plates... but it's not letting me edit it.. Mods???

[b]rings [M]ore [W]omen
HalifaxMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMMM View Post

I'm trying to edit my main post to incorporate your contributions about the temporary plates... but it's not letting me edit it.. Mods???
Great info. A lot has changed over the years!

There's a time limit on editing threads. PM me the changes you want made, and i'll add them for you.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
HalifaxMMM
Know it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
Great info. A lot has changed over the years!

There's a time limit on editing threads. PM me the changes you want made, and i'll add them for you.
Done!

Thanks for everyones feedback. Please continue contributing and I will send Bliss the changes as we go.

FYI - For anyone importing V8+ BMWs or Gas Guzzlers ... they can levy a "Green tax" on you.

I'll post some information on that after I research a bit more.

[b]rings [M]ore [W]omen
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
Ted in T.O.
3rd Gear Member

How about selling a Canadian car to somebody in the US? The answer to this would help both US and Canadian Maxbimmer members in the future.
Ted in T.O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #23
vintagez
2nd Gear Member

If selling to the USA you normally require a letter from the manufacturer saying your Canadian car complies with EPA and DOT standards except for minor labelling issues. I do not know if BMW will provide this, check with them. Sometimes the label on the drivers door will say US standards, then you are ok, if it says Canadian get the letter.
vintagez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^you dont have to pass RIV inspection (no going to canadian tire). You just take your completed form 1 to MTO and get an ownership (After you pay provincial taxes).

In alberta, there's yet ANOTHER inspection (out of province) that needs be be completed when importing an out of country car. We do save the HST though
What a rip-off. The RIV inspection is a crock of shit anyway. You only need to have DRL's and the rear child seat restraint only has to be in the car, not actually installed. Canadian tire will sell you one on the spot.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

So, are the savings still worth it? IE cars are still that much cheaper? $5K+?

The only reason I've imported cars in the past were for the fact there are more options down there for hard to find vehicles.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
propr'one
op sucks cock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
What a rip-off. The RIV inspection is a crock of shit anyway. You only need to have DRL's and the rear child seat restraint only has to be in the car, not actually installed. Canadian tire will sell you one on the spot.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Terry, yes. If you shop around there are deals to be had in the USA, even assuming 20% taxes (HST + Duty) and 500$ worth of bullshit fees (RIV, A/C fee, Crappy tire inspection fee). Remember you'd still pay HST on a used car, so the difference is just duty + fees.

hid headlights hid kit
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
HalifaxMMM
Know it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
Couldn't agree with you more.

Terry, yes. If you shop around there are deals to be had in the USA, even assuming 20% taxes (HST + Duty) and 500$ worth of bullshit fees (RIV, A/C fee, Crappy tire inspection fee). Remember you'd still pay HST on a used car, so the difference is just duty + fees.
IMO the best bang for your buck is a BMW made in North America (ie. X5 and X3) they have no 6.1% duty so you save a bunch.

PS - the Canadian Tire inspection is a joke lol they only checked for the daytime lights... nothing else.

[b]rings [M]ore [W]omen
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
marek
5th Gear Member

A car over 15 years old DOES NOT need anything from the RIV. You don't contact them or they will gladly take your money and provide you with something you don't need.

After having your title stamped by US Customs

1. You just pay your 6.1% duty (if not made in North America), GST, AC Tax to obtain Form 1 from Canada Customs.

2. Get a safety (all) and e-test (if newer than 1987)

3. Register car and pay PST portion of the HST

^^
This applies to any vehicle imported from any country in the world (if it is 15 yrs or older). There is no Crappy Tire inspection or any recall clearance letters or other money grabs that are required.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #29
wee man
1st Gear Newbie

I'm sorry know it all. Over the last few years, I have brought Three cars into Ont. from the US.of A. I just drove them to Peace Bridge at Fort Erie and declared them.
wee man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #30
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man View Post
I'm sorry know it all. Over the last few years, I have brought Three cars into Ont. from the US.of A. I just drove them to Peace Bridge at Fort Erie and declared them.
and your point is?

this is not like weekend shopping in Buffalo
that you just bought things and just declare..

I would like you to be more specific...what does your "declare" means?
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw import recall riv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: