Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

It's competitive in terms of dry/wet/ice, but it'll give up a bit in deep snow. If you drive on plowed routes go for the Eurowinter and save some coin. If you're on roads too treacherous for the Falken you should probably be running a non-performance winter anyway (like the X-Ice2 or Altimax Arctic).

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
It's competitive in terms of dry/wet/ice, but it'll give up a bit in deep snow. If you drive on plowed routes go for the Eurowinter and save some coin. If you're on roads too treacherous for the Falken you should probably be running a non-performance winter anyway (like the X-Ice2 or Altimax Arctic).
Thanks for the feedback.. perhaps I don't regret my purchase so much after-all... after seeing you rip that little M coupe around the DDT Track at Mosport I'd say that you know what you're talking about - I would've been out more often if my brakes weren't garbage and faded every 2-3 laps

When I first got them I was skeptical because they don't look like a very aggressive winter for sure (compare the tread to something like the W409) but went with it for the good reviews on dry/wet handling. But I have a winter beater '99 Honda Accord so the Bimmer is mostly a weekend car, so i figured they would fit the part.
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
Mystikal

Thanks, were you in your E90? I remember a [quick] 323i but I don't recall a 325 there.

@stancejay
Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Yup I was there in my E90.. on the far right side of the pits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 318338_916358345091_172007262_44648044_417956597_n.jpg (75.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Mystikal

Nice, grab some new pads and let's go lapping next season. Why does it seem so far away?

@stancejay
Old 11-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Nice, grab some new pads and let's go lapping next season. Why does it seem so far away?
Yeah.. I have my mind set on a set of HP+ pads and some dot 4 fluid for next summer that should stand up to light tracking and a good daily drive. Any recommendations of where I should look to buy them from?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
Mystikal

I wouldn't suggest HP+ for daily driving (lots of dust and noise). HPS if anything.

@stancejay
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #23
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Got the Eurowinters installed today, price is right and so far in the dry they are exactly what I was looking for in a winter.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Took my Eurowinters out in the snow the last few days.. I'd give them a 5/10 for snow/ice conditions and a 9/10 for cold dry performance.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Axxe

Yeah, they are not that impressive in the snow and ice compared to the blizzak ws-50's I had on my e30 back in the day, but once you get out onto cleared roads they are perfectly acceptable, especially when you consider the pricepoint.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

in deep snow add some poundage to the rear over the suspension. 60-70lbs should be plenty to give you traction
Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #27
Axxe

The rear isn't the problem, the issue is that the sidewalls don't have the typical snow tire saw teeth on the edges which promotes lateral grip when the front wheels are turned. These behave in deep snow much like a good all season, and I'd wager that the top all seasons available today aren't much worse in the deep snow as this tire is. But in exchange you get excellent dry and wet performance, and on warm days such as we've been having I can drive my car as if I had summers on (with reduced grip occurring mainly due to reduced section width).

Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
The rear isn't the problem, the issue is that the sidewalls don't have the typical snow tire saw teeth on the edges which promotes lateral grip when the front wheels are turned. These behave in deep snow much like a good all season, and I'd wager that the top all seasons available today aren't much worse in the deep snow as this tire is. But in exchange you get excellent dry and wet performance, and on warm days such as we've been having I can drive my car as if I had summers on (with reduced grip occurring mainly due to reduced section width).
Yup, you hit the nail square on the head with this. They are just as good as all-seasons in deep soft fresh snow. You will be spinning rubber.

But the dry-performance is seriously seriously seriously impressive - perfect for the kind of winter we are having this year. They are meant for cold-dryish days and they perform flawlessly - but if you do happen to get stuck in a snow squal.. they'll get the job done enough to get you home. Just keep both hands on the wheel!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: