Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #16
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
will be hard to e46 m3 under 100k
125km is alrite
Hard? A friend just got one with 10,000 original miles.... very easily for an incredible price...
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
JayR_84
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
Before i bought the roadie i was thinking about e46 m3 vert, and i had decided against SMG when i found out the pump failure was somewhat common, and cost 4-5K to fix.
Around $800 shipped from the UK plus cost to swap. Not a terribly difficult job, easier than changing a clutch at least.
JayR_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

It depends on the type of person you are. In terms of maintainance cost yes the 6 speed will be less ultimately, but driving pleasure...is a different story. I now own a 03 M3 Vert SMG but before I ended up getting it I was stuck deciding.

The first week I got my M3, I was wondering if this is the right choice. Now few months later I have no regrets. Would I still prefer a manual? In some situations yes, in most it doesn't make a difference to me. Shifting comfort is good as long as you pick the right program for your driving style although I feel in stop and go traffic I could probably have a more comfortable ride using a traditional manual transmission. IMO When it comes to performance driving, the average driver will definitely benefit from SMG.

The cost sometimes may be a bit high depending on what the problem is but in the end it's a fun driving experience.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

I might as well chime in here with a few points about SMG, since I've had mine for 5 years and I have 214,000km on it.

The SMG pump problem is somewhat of a known issue for sure but what you spend on a pump you save on a clutch. I track my car a lot, have been for 4 years or so, and finally I needed a clutch replacement (so I thought). Original clutch, 199,000km, and it still had life left when Rocco @ RMP took a look at it. I replaced it anyway but I could have gotten another 80k - 100k off of it. SMG saves your clutch bigtime because it is MUCH better at shifting than any human is. Unless of course you keep using launch control and burnout mode, but that's going to wear the clutch the same as any manual. I never use either simply because it's pointless, I am not a drag racer, and don't feel the need to impress anyone.

The reason I thought it needed a clutch replacement was because of slipping but turns out it was my SMG pump. I have a new one on order now. I don't know how people are getting pumps for $800 but I am getting mine for $1900 from Tischer. $800 for a used pump perhaps but there are a slew of horror stories on M3F about used pumps. Don't do it. Labor is going to be $600 if I decide not to do it myself (which I probably will since I have the AE software and can do a bleeding). Swapping the pump out is actually pretty easy from what I've read with the exception of the hydraulic lines which sometimes need a torch to get them out. Not looking forward to that but we'll see how it goes. I'll let you know

Anyone who says SMG shifts rough has either not driven one or not driven one properly. It does take getting used to and you have to time your lift of the throttle and the severity of the lift based on the mode you are in as well as the RPM. Took me a solid 2-3 months to get used to it but after that shifting was VERY smooth. Same with the automated mode, you eventually learn when the car is going to shift and learn when to lift. You can even tell the SMG to shift in auto by lifting the throttle at the right time. It's a pretty slick system. On the track it's absolutely awesome. It shifts faster than any human can (no matter what some people say) and feels incredible in S6 mode. It also won't let you do the dreaded money shift which is nice

There's really no other issues with SMG other than the pump and the infamous salmon relay (a $7 part which takes 30 seconds to replace and I guarantee you will be replacing it at some point). Actuator and transmission failures are MUCH more rare. I've actually only seen one transmission replacement posted on M3F. Thank god, because it's $7k for the tranny alone (same as 6MT really).

In summary, the added cost really isn't going to impact you if you can afford to maintain an M3 to begin with. As I've said to many others, buying an M3 is easy, maintenance is the expensive part, 6MT or SMG. Especially if you track it. What's nice about getting the SMG is you know the clutch is going to be fine unless the previous owner was a knob and used the LC a lot. Same could be said of 6MT though, and with the 6MT the clutch is very likely to be worse because of human imprecision.

-J

jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Espritv8
2nd Gear Member

Looking for an E46 M3. There are lots of SMG out there, and they are most of the time cheaper than the 6MT's.

Just wondering if should a problem comes up with the SMG system, is it possible and rather easy to switch the SMG to a manual gearbox system. As I understand, it's the same gearbox?
Espritv8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: