Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
dcramer
5th Gear Member

e39 battery dead diagnosis help

So ... came back from vacation. car starts up fine, but the battery light is on.

Checked the charging voltage and it is at 13.5, so the alternator is working
It also sometimes turns off the radio, and the heater in an attempt to save the battery.

This morning the battery is dead

Any ideas ?

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Sounds like what was happening with my jag. Battery sounded weak when starting, lights were flickering randomly and gauges were going nuts. Shortly after needed a battery after being outside in the cold for some hours. All is good now. These cars are super power hungry and if they do not get the consistant supply they need they act up like you wouldn't believe.
Start your car then disconnect the battery. If it dies, you also need an alternator, if it continues running, just a battery.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
dcramer
5th Gear Member

The battery is new, as I said the voltage when the car is running is > 13.5 which is well within spec.

These alternators actually have another circuit which turns on the battery light. I have to check that first. Just curious if anyone has any other insight.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
The battery is new, as I said the voltage when the car is running is > 13.5 which is well within spec.

These alternators actually have another circuit which turns on the battery light. I have to check that first. Just curious if anyone has any other insight.
Had the same issue 2 weeks ago.... car started fine then died.. checked voltage - within range...charged battery for a night.. ran fine the next few days then died again... replaced battery.. all is fine now...

Battery might not be holding charge...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Battery voltage 12.6 Volts - fully charged
12.2 50% charged
11.7 (or less) fully discharged

Alternator is providing the adequate voltage - check belts.
You were on vacation, so I question wether the battery has had enough time to fully recharge. Put it on a charger overnight (u don't have to remove)
Battery connections, clamp them down and check for corrosion. ( I assume you put the battery in?)

Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
dcramer
5th Gear Member

thanks, my money is on the light circuit in the alternator. The battery dying is probably due to lack of charge as you noted.

almost forgot. My rad blew a few days before I left on vacation .... antifreeze all over the alternator...

Last edited by dcramer; 01-05-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
dcramer
5th Gear Member

so charged the battery overnight, disconnected from the car. Reconnected it and now the charging voltage is 18.5 V

Now suspecting the alternator

Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: