Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
whiskas
1st Gear Newbie

New BMW touring owner!

I recently bought my first BMW, a 2002 325it,I've had it for a couple of months and I am trying to sort out a few minor problems.
Priority is the switch that opens the glass window on the tailgate door, it has a mind of it's own and opens itself from time to time, I know I could just replace the switch but I wonder if anybody knows if its possible to repair the switch or pull a fuse to stop it operating. A couple of times I have gone out in the morning and the car has opened itself and the trunk lights are on, I'm worried that the battery will die or worse the car will be stolen or broken in to.
I also have a heater blower that changes speeds by itself and is generally not that warm.
If anybody knows if these are common things and how to fix them I would appreciate some help.
whiskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Firstly welcome to the forum..

Electrical problems can be very tricky at times. It looks like it's safe to say that you have an electrical short somewhere. I would say otherwise if it was an isolated incident, but it clearly isn't. I would check to see if all your fuses and relays are in working order. Once you find that they are, or are not, then replace the ones that are not, and see if they blow again. This will at least indicate where the short is coming from. If they are all good to begin with, then you may possibly have to check the wiring harness for the affected part to see if any wires are kinked or cut.

Good luck. It doesn't sound like an easy fix, but i hope i'm wrong.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Welcome to Max.

For your problem i would first look at the body module (controls several things including central locking, windows etc). Get it checked by a good shop, if this turns out the be the problem they are easy to change yourself and you can do the programing.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Catsu
1st Gear Newbie

Hello,

I had the same issue on my 02 325iT with the tail gate glass. I tried everything and looks like there is short somewhere, most likely at the rear tailgate where the wires are routed through.

I've disconnected the lock for the glass gate (from the lock inside the rear tailgate) for now and deal with it when it get warmer.

I hope this helps
Catsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: