Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #31
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, they are awesome. Wagons with the M sports package are pretty rare, I have only seen one in Toronto in Topaz Blue Metallic, the cousin of my 540i/6. Even has the Style 66's - which I am looking for a good set if anyone has some for sale...

That said changing the bumpers and trim is easy, just $$$ if you go OEM. The above 23 examples also have M5 mirrors if I'm not mistaken, pretty sure all Tourings even with M sports package came with dumbo ears.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #32
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Yeah, they are awesome. Wagons with the M sports package are pretty rare, I have only seen one in Toronto in Topaz Blue Metallic, the cousin of my 540i/6. Even has the Style 66's - which I am looking for a good set if anyone has some for sale...

That said changing the bumpers and trim is easy, just $$$ if you go OEM. The above 23 examples also have M5 mirrors if I'm not mistaken, pretty sure all Tourings even with M sports package came with dumbo ears.

I think you were looking at my car! (now mine anyways!)...
Owner kept the rims, and car how has M5 driveline/6spd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (120.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload14.jpg (120.3 KB, 122 views)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #33
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Hah, that is awesome... I snapped the pic in the Davisville / Mt Pleasant area in 2009, or around there. Was it as nicely maintained as it looked?

I'm jealous, but glad you have it! Especially since it's basically an M5 now!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #34
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Yes, the car was still super clean when i got it, altho it still had the cracked foglight as 3 years ago! ROFL...

I have seen one other 540it M-Sport in Mississauga since, but not as nice!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #35
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Fil,

You end up changing any of the sensors on the S62 before you put it in?

I just changed the CPS exhaust and now am in the process of the TPS both banks.

wayyyy easier once the engine is out.

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #36
jmack
2nd Gear Member

So, more info on the burning smell. I had a friend in the car at the time so it was good to get a second opinion. He was sure it was coolant that he was smelling. Even before it was really bad he could smell it faintly. To be honest my nose for certain types of automotive fluids either burning or not is pretty newbish, so my initial description of the 'electrical burning' is likely incorrect.

Here's what I did to 'break it' this time. From a slow roll pinned it to 7k RPM in first gear. Slowed, then smoke started entering the cabin on the passenger side primarily. Stopped the car with the engine on and rolled down the windows.

My friend thought it might be the heater core that was leaking. He's not a BMW guy but it's a possibility just a PITA to get at and fix. I'm not familiar with heater core failures so I need to read up on that.

My other other thought was the valley pan gasket having a minor leak that is under high RPM load and pressure opens up and squirts coolant out somewhere. Is that possible? It was definitely the higher RPMs that cause this situation to arrive. Under normal driving conditions this doesn't happen, although there is a faint odor here and there.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #37
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

I don't think it would be heater core if the heat is turned down or off but you are prolly in the correct area. There is a heater hose that I have replaced in the past that is known problem on the E39 540 to develope a pin hole leak at one of the bends, it is located at the back of the engine/passenger side. If I recall correctly it connects to the right side coolant manifold at the rear of the engine and runs around and down to the heater auxilary pump on the left shock tower.

Get the car hot then open the hood and check the rear heater hoses for dampness, the pin hole maybe just starting and will spray a fine mist that is barely noticible. It is normally at the top bend in the hose that this pin hole occurs.

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #38
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

^^^There is NO coolant hoses on the right (passenger) side of the E39. All are on the left side, running to about half way on the firewall, so check left side and middle of engine bay.

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #39
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
^^^There is NO coolant hoses on the right (passenger) side of the E39. All are on the left side, running to about half way on the firewall, so check left side and middle of engine bay.
You're right, no hoses on the right side of the E39 but I'm refering to the heater hoses just to the right of and under the CCV and connected to the coolant manifold that bridges both banks of the engine.

I forgot to mention that the engine cover will have to be removed to see the hoses.

Last edited by MLue1; 01-06-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: comment
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #40
jmack
2nd Gear Member

I think this is finally solved.

A couple days ago when I was with a friend who was giving his opinion on the smell, shortly after I went hard on the accelerator, the battery light came on. I didn't mention that part because I thought it was just a dead battery rearing it's ugly head. The car seemed fine so a couple minutes later I turned off the engine, then tried to start - nothing but click click click. Battery juiced. Luckily we got a jump within minutes of me pulling over.

5 minutes later, the car goes into limp mode - all the dash lights come on and trans. failsafe. Got it towed home, had NAPA check the battery. It did have one bad cell so I bought a new one. Take it for a 20k test drive with new battery, things seem to be working well. During this time I can faintly smell burning plastic once the engine is up to speed, so I am driving normally and not any heavy acceleration since I don't want to induce the smoke again.

Later in the day I go for another drive, long story short after 60km the battery light comes on - then 5 minutes after that it went into limp mode. Luckily I was travelling at 80km which was enough to keep the car working, but when I stopped in town the gas pedal was no longer operational. I limped into a parking lot then called for a pickup.

After charging the battery again I got the car home. There is a whirring noise from the alternator area now, which was not present before, as well as the burning plastic smell - identical. With the car running at idle and 1500-2000 RPM the voltage was at 11-11.1. Not enough juice, alternator dead. Putting a screwdriver to my ear it sounded like clack-clack-clack in time with the engine.

So over the last couple weeks I have been slowly frying the alternator. I know of four instances where it was bad enough to bring smoke into the cabin, the first time I was on the test drive with the car, and the last when it completely died and stop charging the battery.

The PO actually just had the alternator replaced by BMW before I bought the car, so I'm hoping they might honor the 1 year warranty on it.

Anyone else heard of an alternator going this way?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #41
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

I dunno... you have a water cooler alternator, most or it is encased the only thing that could cause the smoke is the bearing or the connector burning up.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #42
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, there is not much to see on the outside. I am really curious as to what it looks like on the inside of mine. When I figure out how I am getting my replacement I might take a peek inside and get a look.

Here are some reference shots of the innards of a similar unit. There is a lot of plastic in there as it turns out.

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Alternator/Index.htm
Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #43
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

I had my watter cooled alternator rebuilt 4 years ago locally here in Markham and "knock on wood" it's still doing fine. The shop told me the cause of the failure was the battery so I replace it as well.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #44
jmack
2nd Gear Member

They seem to go hand in hand. The battery in the car when I got it was 4 years old, and when I took it to NAPA for a load test they told me one of the cells was only showing 330CCA, so it was bad. New one now, just need a new alt and I should be golden.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #45
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
Fil,

You end up changing any of the sensors on the S62 before you put it in?

I just changed the CPS exhaust and now am in the process of the TPS both banks.

wayyyy easier once the engine is out.
Did you do them yourself?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: