Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
paddyhong
1st Gear Newbie

Hello maXbimmer!

Hello!

Not the first time here in the forums but I've decided to bring the current situation I am in to BMW owners and see what you guys have to say.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I have come into ownership of an E36 325is that was previous a track/daily car. I am currently driving a 1998 Honda Civic and I'm contemplating between the 2 cars. Since this is a BMW forum, I'd like to ask for non-biased opinion as to which car I should keep. Both cars need work and I like doing most of the work myself where possible but just looking at the sheer difference in the amount of parts on a E36 compared to a Civic is just night and day.

I've already done the math for gas consumption and I'm only paying $0.01 more per km to drive the E36, which is more than acceptable for almost double the horsepower to the wheels. I was going to sell the E36 but after driving it around my neighborhood for a few minutes and comparing it to other cars with similar horsepower and/or drivetrain layouts that I've driven (S2000, WRX, 350z, G35, etc, etc), I'm seriously stuck between the two. I know I can make the Civic just as fast and handle good but that would mean spending anywhere from 3-5k and up, where as most of the modifications that need to be done on the E36 have already been done since it was a track/daily.

The current list of modifications:

- koni struts and some spring/coilover sleeve setup
- beefier sway bars
- Active Autowerke front and rear strut towers
- Active Autowerke c.a.i
- BMW Motorsports X-Brace
- Active Autowerke short shifter kit
- motor/tranny were rebuilt about 30k ago
- carbon fiber hood
- Genuine BMW EDM hid projector headlight housings

And I'm sure I'm missing a few other things.

The current list of problems or things that need replacing that I currently know of:

- exhaust leak (located)
- driver side window regulator
- rear passenger rear bearing
- heater control resistor pack
- cluster is turning on and off intermittently and randomly (needs replacement)
- tires
- and of course the typical flush/replacement of all fluids, plugs and filters
*edit:
- low/high beam do not work
- needs new battery
- needs door and truck locks to match with ignition

So after all that, a few questions:

1. After fixing all the current problems on the car, how much more does it cost to maintain an E36 compared to a Civic?
2. How much harder is it to work on a BMW? For example, do I need special tools?
3. And anything else I need to know please!

Thanks in advance folks!

p@dDy

Last edited by paddyhong; 12-22-2011 at 05:04 AM.
paddyhong is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: