Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #31
yellowfever3
2nd Gear Member

lsx swap you are looking at about $4000 for the swap parts, plus the countless hours for the swap. A friend of mine did a 4.8 swap for a customer, cast iron block, aluminum heads, was over the 7000 mark. so if you are doing the work yourself, its def worth the power with an LS from a corvette or camaro (all aluminum) only weighs about 50 lbs more than the s52. I was told "That motor feels like it should be in the car" But an s54 e36 i guess looks more...right, specially in an m3
Good luck with the swap. Looking forward to pictures
Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #32
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

I have discussed the ls swap that danimal did he said he stopped counting at 10k... not sure what a proper s54 swap runs from one of the local shops though.
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #33
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

i think if you take it to a shop to do a S54 swap... its gunna cost... hell alot..lol..
only worth doing these swaps( money wise) if you know how to do them yourself.

or better to buy E46 M3 with high km.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #34
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

s54 swap isnt cheap
Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #35
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

I've heard that there are/can be difficulties regarding the electrical and that an s54 may not be the best choice for a daily.... rather more for a track car
Old 12-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #36
Steve30
Techno Viking

What kind of issues? There are quite a few people who daily their s54/36's with no problems. I'm guessing you are referring to Burrough's swap. I heard that he ran into some electrical issues recently. I think you just need someone that's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to reading wiring diagrams and integrating harnesses. Issues probably arise from trying to ignore/delete certain functions rather than trying to integrate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbovsky View Post
I've heard that there are/can be difficulties regarding the electrical and that an s54 may not be the best choice for a daily.... rather more for a track car

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #37
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
What kind of issues? There are quite a few people who daily their s54/36's with no problems. I'm guessing you are referring to Burrough's swap. I heard that he ran into some electrical issues recently. I think you just need someone that's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to reading wiring diagrams and integrating harnesses. Issues probably arise from trying to ignore/delete certain functions rather than trying to integrate them.
No I was just reading up on the UUC swap on another forum... It scared the hell out of me, they claimed that there were difficulties and bastardized wiring set ups.... I'm not speaking from experience, but just curious to know more.... i might be attempting this swap some day...
Old 12-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Ive done 40,000+ hard km on my car including several track days and several 11hour+ trips to the states. Its my daily in the summer. My car is dead reliable .

Most people that have had issues with their swap cars hardly understand how the system works. Reading and connecting wires is one thing, but if you don't understand how they work, you will be asking for serious serious problems down the road.

www.StanceFactory.com

Last edited by ZiMMie; 12-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #39
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie View Post
Ive done 40,000+ hard km on my car including several track days and several 11hour+ trips to the states. Its my daily in the summer. My car is dead reliable .

Most people that have had issues with their swap cars hardly understand how the system works. Reading and connecting wires is one thing, but if you don't understand how they work, you will be asking for serious serious problems down the road.
Were you able to save the traction control, abs, obd-II port scan. how is your emissions, any codes or faults? that's what i was reading into when i started to back away from the swap... I'm just not up to it. again I'm only repeating wheat UUC reported while doing their swap....

I know a lot of this wouldn't matter on the track but as a daily I just don't need the headache.

I congratulate you on your successful swap however! just goes to show that hard work is rewarded!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #40
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Were you able to save the traction control, abs, obd-II port scan. how is your emissions, any codes or faults? that's what i was reading into when i started to back away from the swap... I'm just not up to it. again I'm only repeating wheat UUC reported while doing their swap....

I know a lot of this wouldn't matter on the track but as a daily I just don't need the headache .

I congratulate you on your successful swap however! just goes to show that hard work is rewarded!
Traction control, what is that? lol. Euro E36's never came with such non-sense. My traction control is my right foot.
the car could be diagnose with an OBD 2 scanner or even a BMW GT1 to erase, code or program the ECU if i need to.

ABS, and all other modules in car could be scan be scanned if there is any fault.

My car is emission except, and even if i were to do emission it will pass if i have cats, the s54 runs and burns much cleaner than the old M52.

www.StanceFactory.com
Old 12-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #41
Steve30
Techno Viking

^ Mike I was shocked at how clean the engine ran de-catted. Couldn't smell anything like the typical de-catted car where all you smell is fuel.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #42
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
My traction control is my right foot.

hell yes!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #43
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Traction control, what is that? lol. Euro E36's never came with such non-sense. My traction control is my right foot.
the car could be diagnose with an OBD 2 scanner or even a BMW GT1 to erase, code or program the ECU if i need to.

ABS, and all other modules in car could be scan be scanned if there is any fault.

My car is emission except, and even if i were to do emission it will pass if i have cats, the s54 runs and burns much cleaner than the old M52.

How is it emission exempt??

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #44
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
How is it emission exempt??
well i shouldn't say "exempt", but it get tested as a hot rod, since its classified as a one. read up on it.

www.StanceFactory.com
Old 12-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #45
dcramer
5th Gear Member

are there insurance implications to being classified as a hot rod ?
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: