Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

Looking for a new desktop computer. Any good deals?

There was a similar thread about laptops not too long ago, but i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or good deals that they've seen for a desktop computer in the $500 range. Please keep in mind that i'm only looking for the tower, and don't need anything else. Pref no HP ...oh and in the Toronto/Mississauga area.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1bmw1; 12-01-2011 at 08:37 PM.
1bmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

well if you dont know how to build your own stuff, then buy whatever is on sale come boxing day.

Not sure what you want to use youre computer for but if you take a random pick of any desktop in the $500 range they will all Play youtube, do excel/ms word, internet really well.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

Thx Sirex

I don't want to build one. I just want an already built, ready to go one.

All i need is a simple one for exactly what you just mentioned. Simple browsing, documents, some photoshop, etc..

What's the best processor to look for in that range? Sorry, been out of the loop for quite some time now.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
M1_DRM
1st Gear Newbie

Hey 1bmw1.

My suggestion would be to buy a refurb computer. I have been buying only refurb for the last 5 years and that equals roughly 10 computers. STAY AWAY from HP refurbs. I hate HPs. What I have been lucky with is the Gateways Refurb as they get totally refurb'd and they add more to the system than the original specs to make it more attractive. Prices are good and there is a 1 year warranty included. out of the 10 I bought, I had an issue with only 1. I took it to their depot in Mississauga and they had problems repairing it as it was a big issue, so they sent me a BRAND NEW system from the current model line. Huge Bonus for the small inconvenience.
I grab them at Canada Computer (worst customer service at times but good price.)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/searc...page=1&sort=3a
M1_DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1_DRM View Post
Hey 1bmw1.

My suggestion would be to buy a refurb computer. I have been buying only refurb for the last 5 years and that equals roughly 10 computers. STAY AWAY from HP refurbs. I hate HPs. What I have been lucky with is the Gateways Refurb as they get totally refurb'd and they add more to the system than the original specs to make it more attractive. Prices are good and there is a 1 year warranty included. out of the 10 I bought, I had an issue with only 1. I took it to their depot in Mississauga and they had problems repairing it as it was a big issue, so they sent me a BRAND NEW system from the current model line. Huge Bonus for the small inconvenience.
I grab them at Canada Computer (worst customer service at times but good price.)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/searc...page=1&sort=3a
Great piece of info there. I will check them out, and have a look. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I built my tower from Canada Computer. Was $1300 with taxes in. Pretty much a top of the line tower that will last me 5 years or more.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
Thx Sirex

I don't want to build one. I just want an already built, ready to go one.

All i need is a simple one for exactly what you just mentioned. Simple browsing, documents, some photoshop, etc..

What's the best processor to look for in that range? Sorry, been out of the loop for quite some time now.

Id say stay away from any older processor that they are trying to get rid of now adays. on the AMd side the Athlon IIs usually X2 or X4's. They are good but they are the lower end.

On the intel side stay away from the E series. They are also decent but on low end.

Everything else should be good thats newer than these. E.G. PHenom II, Bulldozer (amd side)

or

i3s, i5s on intel side.

theyve got some new naming, numbering going on that im not familiar with as ive been out of the loop for sometime as well. I say if you go with a processor from the last year in a half u should be fine with what you mention.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Bulldozer are still not available as of yet in Canada. Not to mention they are about a 300$ processor themselves alone. I wasn't able to buy one when I built my computer last month. I settled with the PhenomII X4 BE which to my surprise is working super nice and I even OC to 3.7Ghz with ease.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
sirex
King Sirex

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=043085

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: