Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
phreshSOCKS
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMe30 View Post
empty parking lot? any corner lol more so when you have lsd rear end!
yeah but I suggest starting in a parking lot. And this is my first winter on my new LSD! Hope it makes a big difference.
phreshSOCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreshSOCKS View Post
yeah but I suggest starting in a parking lot. And this is my first winter on my new LSD! Hope it makes a big difference.
YES it will. I powered past tons of stuck vehicles, fishtailing my way to safety.

It parkings lots are so much fun, feels like I have 500 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
BMe30
all by chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreshSOCKS View Post
More than you know.... 5spd, rwd, lsd.... Pure joy. I recommend nitto winter tires... On my second set this year... They are perfect!

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #19
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMe30 View Post
More than you know.... 5spd, rwd, lsd.... Pure joy. I recommend nitto winter tires... On my second set this year... They are perfect!
Nittos, TOYO and Nokia are great. Stay away from that Goodyear Michelin shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

I LOVED the Hankook iPike W409's on our E30.
How new are your all-seasons? What type? Some fresh all-seasons are better than others.
I'd HIGHLY recommend buying a used set of snows mounted on steelies at the very least. Heck, I have some OLD snows with decent tread that worked well that you could have for $120, mounted on steelies.

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #21
jasonbaek
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njansenv View Post
I LOVED the Hankook iPike W409's on our E30.
How new are your all-seasons? What type? Some fresh all-seasons are better than others.
I'd HIGHLY recommend buying a used set of snows mounted on steelies at the very least. Heck, I have some OLD snows with decent tread that worked well that you could have for $120, mounted on steelies.
Tires are good(less than 8k on them). they have directional thread and they're good for wet road.. Well when I come back to canada on Jan I'll find 4 set of snows..
jasonbaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #22
adam325i
3rd Gear Member

I drove my E30 from Tofino BC, thru Whistler,Revelstoke, Sun Peaks, Banff back to Hamilton Ontario, on all season motomasters. Biggest thing as you should always be doing is stay alert and aware of your suroundings and conditions. Drove all the way with no problems at all. I bought snow chains out there since there legal and the only time used them is driving thru my trailer park in the winter in ontario. Be safe this winter!
adam325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
noid
5th Gear Member

Get snow tires all around, a car the weight of an e30 needs them.

Best thing to do is have two sets of tires, summer tires for the summer and snow tires for the winter.
noid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #24
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Sometimes no matter how safe you are things happen... that's the way it is.

Every year I seem to tell someone that I drove through a few horrible winter storms with 0 visibility at times, I passed 3 or 4 transport trucks, jeeps, subarus, some of them upside down. There I go past them at 120 kph in my nearly ancient car with no jee whiz gadgets. I wouldn't want to crash in my car that's for sure, but it's all about how comfortable you are in the car, and knowing what the limits are. If you see a car in the ditch let off the gas and coast it, there could be ice under the snow. If a rabbit runs across the road in bad weather... hit the rabbit. If you are in a slide and you can't save it, point the car at a curb or ditch. Better that then tail-ending someone.

Last year with winter tires I had to try to make it slide to have some fun, too much grip.

Generally speaking the city bombards the highways and roads with all kinds of salt and crap. In the city except on the worst of days all-seasons will do. I don't know what the deal is... I've only had dedicated winter wheels for the past 3 years. All the other years of living up north I had all seasons and let me tell you the winter is 10x worse up there.

My suggestion is that if you drive on smaller 2 lane highways or out in the middle of nowhere up north then get really good winter tires.

If you are scared of ice go ahead and get ice tires, ice tires are not deep snow tires and you'll most likely get stuck just as easy in deep snow.

Further north keep a set of tire chains in the trunk, the town I was in was all ice/snow roads. I drove on chains with the e30 for months, not over 25-30 and not on pavement. Expect to replace the rear shock mounts, but you'll never get stuck unless you hang the car.

I'll be heading up north to pick up my boy on Dec 26th or 27th. Sometimes it's Valdor, sometimes it's Waskaganish (1500km). That's when I go, come hell or high water. I don't care if there is a blizzard or if it's -45. I've done it at least 20 times in the winter and I've always made it in the e30.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 11-27-2011 at 12:52 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Who gives a shit.... drive your car and don;t worry about it. I did last winter in the e30 everyday on walmart all seasons. if your gonna crash with all season you are gonna crash with snows, just at a higher speed.......
Yamahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #26
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
Who gives a shit.... drive your car and don;t worry about it. I did last winter in the e30 everyday on walmart all seasons. if your gonna crash with all season you are gonna crash with snows, just at a higher speed.......
Stupidest post i have seen in some time...If you drive on Walmart all seasons in a Canadian winter, you should not drive a BMW. Who gives a sh#t?, maybe the people you will crash into, and possibly kill. Winters dont make you go faster (before you crash), but do stop better so might not have to!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #27
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Stupidest post i have seen in some time...If you drive on Walmart all seasons in a Canadian winter, you should not drive a BMW. Who gives a sh#t?, maybe the people you will crash into, and possibly kill. Winters dont make you go faster (before you crash), but do stop better so might not have to!!!
Thanks for the insult. I may be blunt and slightly out of line in stating my opinion but that is my prerogative. "Canadian winters" s an out of date term because we have what? maybe 5 days each winter now that you may need snow tires for. So we just drive our shitty winter tires on dry pavement for half a year, then get charged by Dalton mcquinty to have them disposed of, or they get thrown in the landfill which is real nice

All I was saying is that you can easily make it through a "canadian winter" without having to spend money on winter tires.

So I apologize if offended you with my stupid comment, I am glad you set me straight
Yamahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #28
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Technically tires matching road conditions will give you more lateral grip, so you can go quicker before you'll slide. Winter tires for snow, ice tires ice, and summer tires summer. All season will have less grip in any of these conditions than tires made for it. Although you can go faster I wouldn't advise speeding in snow just because you have snow tires.

Of all conditions I'd say the worse by far is slush. Or slush over ice. Sometimes I'll be driving along and suddenly the wheel is weightless. That's when you let off the gas and slowly bring the speed down till the weight in the wheel returns.

The scary part is driving on a two lane and hydroplaning off some slush while passing a logging truck head on.

Everyone drive safe and have a good winter!

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 11-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #29
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
"Canadian winters" s an out of date term because we have what? maybe 5 days each winter now that you may need snow tires for. So we just drive our shitty winter tires on dry pavement for half a year, then get charged by Dalton mcquinty to have them disposed of, or they get thrown in the landfill which is real nice
+1 to that

I share your sentiments. You can drive a superbike on racing slicks in the winter if you want to (I drove my M5 on bald ZR track tires, a few times through bad Waterloo snowstorms). You just have to drive in accordance to the conditions and your car's abilities. Winter crashes don't happen because people didn't have the few meters of extra stopping power but because they drive like assholes (in the dry, wet and snow). The only difference is that when the unexpected happens, their 2 car length following of the cars in front while doing their makeup and texting, in the dry gave them a small chance to avoid it (as demonstrated by daily traffic jams due to "accidents") but in the snow, it means they're invariably going to participate in what happens next.

And like you said, there are maybe a few serious snow days in the GTA tops, and for all but the worst kind, the major roads are clear shortly after. Just drive carefully or worst case you can take a day off.

I'm not against winter tires per se, I'd encourage anyone to get them. But I disagree that people HAVE TO get them living in Toronto. We're not in the tundra with unpaved, unplowed roads.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #30
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
you act like owning a bmw is some type of privilage that must be taken with great responsibility. you aren't the e30 police so dont run your mouth and tell people how they should drive their cars. until the ontario government makes it illegal to drive without specific winter tires then this point is completely irrelevant
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: