Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

I just went through this with our 325iT. A no start left my wife stranded - it was the transponder in the key. New key at the dealer was $260 including tax. Ouch.

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
under the steering column would be like ~2-3 inches away. I've seen some people with car starters who had it about that far away. You could also buy an ECU with EWS disabled. (150$ online and a couple weeks of reading and anyone can break EWS encryption, so its not very secure anyway)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
under the steering column would be like ~2-3 inches away. I've seen some people with car starters who had it about that far away. You could also buy an ECU with EWS disabled. (150$ online and a couple weeks of reading and anyone can break EWS encryption, so its not very secure anyway)
Eh lol, I'd rather not do that.
Basically the simpler the better. I will have to give the key nearby the RF antenna a try.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #19
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Key B battery is probably dead since it won't unlock/lock and why it would start the car.

Key A has a good battery but the EWS transponder thing is probably bad. happened to me. first thing was to try and get the key to communicate with the car again. forgot how to do it (google it) but it's something like holding the lock button for a certain time, putting the key in the ignition, etc, etc. if that doesn't work, you'll have to probably get a new key and sync it up.

try this site, method 1 or 3.
http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_3...ogramming.html

or this method from e46f
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...88&postcount=8
After I bought a 2001 325i with one key I bought a 2nd one from the dealer. I had a very hard time finding correct instructions to reprogram the car to recognize the new key. The key type I have is the rechargeable, non-replaceable battery, and has 3 buttons: 1) unlock; 2) lock; 3) open trunk
Have all your keys with you when you do this. This works:
Get in and close all the doors.
Turn the ignition to "Run" and the turn it off quickly. (Note: this is the middle position for the key, not "Accessory" or "Start")
Remove the key.
Hold the key up to your left shoulder.
Hold down the UNLOCK button and Press the LOCK button (center button) 3 times. After you release the LOCK button the third time the doors will lock to confirm the operation.
Quickly repeat the key-button-clicking steps (ONLY) for all your other keys. Note: Do not put any of the keys back in the ignition until you have reprogrammed all your keys

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.

Last edited by King Luis; 11-18-2011 at 12:28 PM.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
Key B battery is probably dead since it won't unlock/lock and why it would start the car.

Key A has a good battery but the EWS transponder thing is probably bad. happened to me. first thing was to try and get the key to communicate with the car again. forgot how to do it (google it) but it's something like holding the lock button for a certain time, putting the key in the ignition, etc, etc. if that doesn't work, you'll have to probably get a new key and sync it up.
What are these instructions you speak of having the key to talk to the car? I have never heard of that.. I only know of that syncing procedure.

I checked the batteries in both keys and they read like 3.04V.. hmm..
Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
updated my post.

for more methods google bmw e46 key reprogramming

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the instructions those are the ones for actually getting the lock/unlock functions working tho.

So that is what you actually used cause your transponder wasn't working and this "woke" it up again and allowed you to start your car?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #23
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Wait a second I just got an idea..

What if a valet key is bought? Would that contain a transponder in it? Could I use that then and take the transponder off and put it in a master/fob key shell and have a fully working key??

Cause aren't the valet keys a fraction of the cost?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #24
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post

try this site, method 1 or 3.
http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_3...ogramming.html

or this method from e46f
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...88&postcount=8
After I bought a 2001 325i with one key I bought a 2nd one from the dealer. I had a very hard time finding correct instructions to reprogram the car to recognize the new key. The key type I have is the rechargeable, non-replaceable battery, and has 3 buttons: 1) unlock; 2) lock; 3) open trunk
Have all your keys with you when you do this. This works:
Get in and close all the doors.
Turn the ignition to "Run" and the turn it off quickly. (Note: this is the middle position for the key, not "Accessory" or "Start")
Remove the key.
Hold the key up to your left shoulder.
Hold down the UNLOCK button and Press the LOCK button (center button) 3 times. After you release the LOCK button the third time the doors will lock to confirm the operation.
Quickly repeat the key-button-clicking steps (ONLY) for all your other keys. Note: Do not put any of the keys back in the ignition until you have reprogrammed all your keys
BTW tried all those without any success.. numerous times too..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: