Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy (2003-2006 model)? Keep in mind its a working vehicle
X5 3.0 10 21.28%
X5 4.4 V8 3 6.38%
X5 4.8is 26 55.32%
Other 8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #46
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Owned a 3.0i X5 for 8 years. It was great. Lots of ways to make it look at sound more then the 3.0i. 4.8i wheels and fenders bolt up, 4.4i or 4.8i exhaust bolts up. Any of the goodies you want out of the "other" models bolt up.

The inline 6 was great. Towed a trailer back from the USA with my E30 M3 on it without any issues. Yeah, it's not a V8, but the thing pulled smoothly all the way back with some downshifts on the bridges and hills, but nothing dramatic. And long mileage trips got excellent gas mileage. Was running the OEM 4.4 5-spoke 19" wheels.

Now I drive a Mini Cooper S Clubman. I miss the X5 at times though. We put the X5 through hell with our family of four. And the piles of wood I use to carry with that thing............. was very non-BMW-owner-ish behaviour !!
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #47
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlordjd View Post
I'm not sure as I may have gotten the wrong impression from all the other postings.

I'm not sure as I may have gotten the wrong impression from all the other postings.

I believe the OP may have made up his mind as he already knew what his core options were and how much he is willing to spend for it.

The decision has already been narrowed down to the 3.0 x5 or the v6 Cayenne. Don't let anyone convince you into spending money you do not want to.
If you buy the year range suv you want, it is just as easy to spend some extra money taking care of whatever issues it may have rather than be stuck spending a guaranteed amount of money on a new vehicle.

Be true to what you want as you will not be happy with your purchase if you are not. Stick to the two options you have already decided on as those are the most practical based on the mileage you would accumulate without sacrificing the bling factor.

good luck with your final choice
I did have my decisions narrowed....wanted to hear if anyone had any creditable opinions on my choices!

You're aboslutely right! I dont make 200,000+ a year just yet to be able to afford something brand new like a diesel!

Thanks man!
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #48
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Owned a 3.0i X5 for 8 years. It was great. Lots of ways to make it look at sound more then the 3.0i. 4.8i wheels and fenders bolt up, 4.4i or 4.8i exhaust bolts up. Any of the goodies you want out of the "other" models bolt up.

The inline 6 was great. Towed a trailer back from the USA with my E30 M3 on it without any issues. Yeah, it's not a V8, but the thing pulled smoothly all the way back with some downshifts on the bridges and hills, but nothing dramatic. And long mileage trips got excellent gas mileage. Was running the OEM 4.4 5-spoke 19" wheels.

Now I drive a Mini Cooper S Clubman. I miss the X5 at times though. We put the X5 through hell with our family of four. And the piles of wood I use to carry with that thing............. was very non-BMW-owner-ish behaviour !!

This is exactly the kind of use I will be putting my truck through!
I know that the truck isnt new...... and for the record I bought a brand new VW GLX 2004 (last year they made the VR6 anniversary ed) and it was a ****ing LEMON. Gave me so many problems and I treated the car like gold!

So I think that if I dont find a nice X5 then a Cayenne it is!

Thanks for your post bud!!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #49
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Aren't Cayennes ridiculously expensive? I've heard horror stories but have no experience.
I mean, it is a P car...

Have you looked into a VW Touareg V6?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #50
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

I have looked into it yes.
The V8 Cayennes are brutal on repairs if something comes up but they are realiable suv's.

The Touareg isnt something I would spend money on, well above average electronic problems!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #51
roym01
1st Gear Newbie

After investigating and test driving many V8 X5's and Cayenne's (they were the only 2 models I had interest in) over the last 3 months, I pulled the trigger on a 2005 X5 4.4. Both trucks had lots of giddy-up (the Cayenne obviously faster) and handled very German-like. The decision finally came down to exterior looks, maintenance costs and MPG as the rest was a wash for me.

I filled up the tank last week and drove 550 km's before the light went on. I figure I've got at least 50 km's left so that would make it 600 km's on a full tank of gas. Granted, I did not push it much in the first week of ownership but it proves that the gas mileage ain't as bad as most claim. In fact, my buddy purchased a 2006 X5 3.0 a couple of months ago and he has never gotten 600 km's on a tank.

Just my opinion, but the V8's make the X5 a much different driver than the 3.0. A much preferred difference for me.
roym01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: