Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 AM   #46
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Awesome Progress!!

Also I didn't think E36 diffs fit into E30's???
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #47
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
Awesome Progress!!

Also I didn't think E36 diffs fit into E30's???
Thanks! And the diff is from an e36 ti, which shares most of the rear end of an e30, and its also small case which my OEM diff was as well

That said I think that i could upgrade to a medium case with no problems, I havent heard of any fitment issues, we'll have to see

On another note, I will have to check the angle once the driveshaft is bolted up as I got the raised subframe bushings and may have to run some spacers on the diff bolts. I can't really tell if its at a weird angle now, will probably have to drive it to see

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #48
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thinking about picking up a set of Koni SAs from r3v -- I'll need to figure out the proper rebound for the IE3s, haven't come across a setting for it yet

Also anyone know the torque spec on the subframe nuts (big 22s)? I came across 50ftlbs but it was just in a thread I haven't been able to find it concrete

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #49
BigD
the misanthropist

From my notes:

nut - 103 ft lbs

Last edited by BigD; 10-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #50
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
From my notes:

nut - 103 ft lbs
Thanks, 50 seemed a bit low to me

Tried to get a lower rear shock bolt from mike today and it wasn't available! I posted on r3v asking with part numbers and diagrams

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=225553

I'm going to try the e36 bolt instead but it's 5mm shorter :s

Old 10-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #51
BigD
the misanthropist

Yeah, 50 is for the front subframe anchor bolts. It's funny how the Bentley has disavowed E30 subframe bushings. It mentions NOTHING about the bushings or the hardware. I dug up this value from someone who got it out of the BMW service manual.

Too bad I donated my E30 arms to Rudy, you coulda had mine.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #52
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yeah, 50 is for the front subframe anchor bolts. It's funny how the Bentley has disavowed E30 subframe bushings. It mentions NOTHING about the bushings or the hardware. I dug up this value from someone who got it out of the BMW service manual.

Too bad I donated my E30 arms to Rudy, you coulda had mine.
Ya I know I searched everywhere for that spec including all available manuals :S

What arms were you speaking of?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #53
cormier
6th Gear Member

Engine bay clean up -- how in depth?

So.. I've come to the inevitable choice: how much to work on the engine bay.

Originally I was of the mindset I was going to just leave the bay as it was with some minor cleaning and thats it. More concerned about having things mechanically sound.

HOWEVERRR

I ripped my harness out to do a little wire-tucking, and then starting becoming more and more conscious of the rust spots in my bay.

Its not bad, most spots like the battery tray are just surface. The old brackets on the drivers side, particularly around where the fuel filter is are the worst.
Then there are a few spots that are through around the edges, the lower rad support, etc.

Heres the thing: I have no bodywork experience at all. I'm only an amateur welder. But after looking through some engine threads, I got some confidence and book knowledge.

If I go this route, I think there are only a few spots that will need to be welded. The rest sanding / filling with a thin coat of bondo should be ok. I've read that a copper backing plate will lead to easy fill in with a welder--and JB weld for the pinholes?

Soooo -- to leave it the way it is, or to spend a month maybe more preping and painting the bay? This build isnt intended to be a show car, but my OCD will always remember the holes in the rad support.

Ill take some pictures tomorrow to get a sense of what im talking about

Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #54
new2bmw
3rd Gear Member

hey

Hi , Tried to PM you but inbox is full. Just thought i would let ya know.
Cheers
new2bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #55
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Thanks, 50 seemed a bit low to me

Tried to get a lower rear shock bolt from mike today and it wasn't available! I posted on r3v asking with part numbers and diagrams

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=225553

I'm going to try the e36 bolt instead but it's 5mm shorter :s
Go to bolts+ with the specs you have found online, get a pair of grade 10.9 plated bolts for under $10, and never worry again.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #56
new2bmw
3rd Gear Member

I totally hear you with the OCD lol. Honestly if you have the time and patience to do it now, i would go for it. When else are you going to get this opportunity again? If you don't you will not be happy when its all done, like you said you and only you will know about the small stuff you left out or didn't do. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Amazing progress, great work!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #57
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw
Hi , Tried to PM you but inbox is full. Just thought i would let ya know.
Cheers
Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw View Post
I totally hear you with the OCD lol. Honestly if you have the time and patience to do it now, i would go for it. When else are you going to get this opportunity again? If you don't you will not be happy when its all done, like you said you and only you will know about the small stuff you left out or didn't do. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Amazing progress, great work!
Yeah I know, Ive been weighing my options and I don't think im going to go for it. Again, this wasnt intended to be a show car build, and all of the bad spots won't be visible with the motor in. Im terrible at bodywork, and fumbling and learning as i go for the other parts of the build so I'm not going to get into it.

Just gonna weld up the motor mount and sway bar reinforcements and call it a day for the engine bay. That way I can actually finish and hopefully have all the kinks worked out by the spring, otherwise ill be working on this the rest of my life

Also put the car back on the wheels and rolled it onto the driveway for some cleaning and repositioning in the garage

How the rear wheels sit. Both upper and lower spring pads are still in, I think I'll keep them. The fronts will be running e90 drop hats, some form of camber plate and I think no spring pad -- to give the stance a nice rake. thoughts?

How facking high the front is sitting without the motor and tranny in -- I thought we were catching on something when we put the car down

Last edited by cormier; 10-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #58
cormier
6th Gear Member

Bit more progress today

All front suspension is off: strut tubes, control arms, steering rack, subframe

Subframe is ready for welding of the motor mount and sway bar reinforcements. I have some POR15 on order for afterwards

Yes, that is a socket stuck on the top of the CA bolt. It's a real PITA lol.

Also, motor is don just needs the VANOS on, then I'll be getting it back and doing the obd1 stuff

Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #59
cormier
6th Gear Member

Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #60
new2bmw
3rd Gear Member

Love it

I love the engine, so clean, looks amazing. I am such a perfectionist and would kill for the chance to do what your doing. I was thinking of using tremclad on some of my subframe parts and trany, sway bars etc. but I am not sure how it would hold up, if anyone knows let me know please, also, when you use the POR let me know how it goes, I have heard good things but never any long term results, just that it works. Where did you pick it up and how much was it? Great job, keep it going!

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: