Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #61
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
well I have pretty much the same plan as your wife, with more minutes, my plan is actually a little better, and after talking to retention I only pay $53+tx, it wasn't really any hassle but I did save $16 a month compared to yours.
Ok, that makes sense for sure. So you just called them up and bitched that you pay too much, or what?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #62
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there really a point to all this?
Well the point is that by simply calling, politely asking to cancel after 2 years of each contract, and then through retentions, we have:

600 minutes, 6 gig data, all the options, unl text for $60 per phone all in (taxes/fees). And it'll just keep getting better, plus you get a new phone every 1-2 years (1 year is tougher, but at 2 they'll do anything for you).
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #63
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

my contract end next august... and i have iphone 3gs , u think im eligible for retention plan if i call and do everything u guys posted up?

edit : 3 year contract
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #64
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Well the point is that by simply calling, politely asking to cancel after 2 years of each contract, and then through retentions, we have:

600 minutes, 6 gig data, all the options, unl text for $60 per phone all in (taxes/fees). And it'll just keep getting better, plus you get a new phone every 1-2 years (1 year is tougher, but at 2 they'll do anything for you).
Ahhh, see now that plan makes it a lot more interresting. Is that Bell or Rogers? Bell seems to be a lot harder to get a better deal with.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #65
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Ahhh, see now that plan makes it a lot more interresting. Is that Bell or Rogers? Bell seems to be a lot harder to get a better deal with.
It's technically Fido but it's just Rogers. I don't have personal experience with Bell but I hear it's the same thing. The trick to dealing with these people is not to complain about the price of your bill - they know that the advertised contracts from all major players are all roughly the same, so they'll say sorry you feel that way, or scam you into thinking that increasing your bill by 20 bucks for some extra jazz is a good deal.

After a contract or two, especially one you pay over $100 a month for total, gives you precious status. So what really gets things moving is a threat to cancel. Write down what you'd like to get out of them this time. They will ask you why, pick a competitor (a true one, not Telus vs Bell but Bell/Telus vs Rogers/Fido), say that they've offered a better deal. They'll ask you to hold and transfer you to retentions. They'll ask you the same poop again, and ask if there's anything they can do for you. Tell them the plan you wrote down, and they'll counter. If they don't counter with what you like, politely say that this other thing is also very important to you (if they don't match the data, say data is important, not enough minutes then minutes are important etc).

It's important not to get rude since this isn't like a personal negotiation. These guys don't actually have to do anything for you. So it actually helps to call in the evening, so you don't get the reps who are all pissed off from dealing with screaming morons all day who don't know how to get their voicemail. They won't actually call your bluff about cancelling, if they resist and you're really unhappy with what they're offering, you can always call back and speak to another one. Say you'll think about it and hang up. I've never had to do this, but I have only called after 2 years. A coworker of mine calls after 1 (has gotten a new iphone for the contract price every year, making money selling the previous one, and getting a better phone plan), and he has to call a few times before he gets a rep who plays ball.

Then do it all again a few years later

Last edited by BigD; 10-25-2011 at 04:36 PM.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #66
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
my contract end next august... and i have iphone 3gs , u think im eligible for retention plan if i call and do everything u guys posted up?

edit : 3 year contract
If you're a year or less from the end of the contract, you're golden. But as I said above, if you're persistent, you can even do it after 1.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #67
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Rogers retentions has gotten alot more strict than they were in the past.
I got the last 3 iPhones at contract price, upgrading every year.

My plan is also pretty good, basically I pay less than $45tax in each month:
250min Unlimited after 6pm
500MB data
unlimited sms/mms
free incoming
1000 LD mins
CID/Visual VM/etc

I tried my luck again this year to get the 4S, but no dice, they aren't budging.

I started inquiring about cancelling my line, then she started looking at my plan and saying how good of a deal I'm getting, bah bah, even then she still offered me another phone or another iPhone 4 which I found funny, but i politely declined. I should have took it and sold it.......hmm.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #68
BigD
the misanthropist

That's every year though, you aren't flagged as upgrade eligible until 2. So I think you've done well to get it every year.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #69
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

LOL just called...

they offered me :

300 day time
canada wide unlimited long distance
1gig data
voice mail
2500 text
picture msging
caller ID

65 dollars tax in..

i almost took it because i go back and forth waterloo - toronto alot and i really needed the long distance and the lady told me the long distance is only good when i am in toronto area. ( basically told me i'll get charged roaming if i try to use my phone in waterloo , wtf is the point of long distance then? )

is there any long distance where i can be in waterloo and not get charged extra for it? ( i have a 647 number )

right now i have my10 dumb plan for 85 dollars which allows me to talk to those ppl on my10 wherever i am in canada...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #70
BigD
the misanthropist

You have to pick a home area. You can't go to Vancouver with a 416 number and hope to be local. Just ask to keep the my10 thing with the retentions plan.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #71
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

ya..thats a different province, im saying...just in waterloo - toronto. its only 100 km away... i hate how they charge you long d for this crap.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #72
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
You have to pick a home area. You can't go to Vancouver with a 416 number and hope to be local. Just ask to keep the my10 thing with the retentions plan.
get a LD package.

I have 1000 min LD in canada, so i can answer calls on my 587 number in toronto, and it just uses my LD minutes.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #73
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
get a LD package.

I have 1000 min LD in canada, so i can answer calls on my 587 number in toronto, and it just uses my LD minutes.
It may use your LD minutes but if you're outside of your home area, you're roaming. Unless you specifically have Canada-wide free roaming.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #74
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

my rogers plan (personal phone):

200 daytime minutes
evening (after 6) and weekends free
rogers to rogers free
incoming free
caller ID/call forwarding
voicemail
Rogers who called
unlimited txt msgs
500mB data (Blackberry personal email and messaging)

$45 taxes inc.

trying to increase the data

my wind plan (work phone):
Super Smart plan
-Canada wide Wind-Wind free
-Incoming/Outgoing free
-unlimited text
-unlimited data
-international text unlimited
-voicemail
-call control (caller ID call forwarding etc...)
-
with an additional $10 for US long distance

$39/month + tax:
http://www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/voice-plans.aspx

Last edited by Jim .E.; 10-26-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #75
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Jim,

You're on the BB data value pack from a year or two ago. They can't increase the data usage, they'd have to put you on 6gb plan and then add text/voicemail, etc.

It can be done but not easily. That's a very good plan man, by your next renewal you'll be able to get it for around 40$ a month. You can push past that if you want, but if you have a plan including data under 35$ a month, you'll get reviewed (often). Usually that means nothing, but they can flag your account (wont let you renew through regular retentions, manager will have to approve your new plan)

Dmitry,

with rogers LD minutes are LD minutes. If you're local and call LD, that uses your minutes. If you're roaming and someone calls you on your (non-local) number, that uses your LD minutes. Rogers doesn't have "home zones". If you are a rogers customer, you can make a local call ANYWHERE on the rogers network and it will be billed as local.

I've never paid for roaming in canada, and i've been coast to coast.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black

Last edited by propr'one; 10-26-2011 at 12:52 PM.
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: