Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #16
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.
 
TheMadChigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durty Shwa
Posts: 3,096
Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
6 speed swap is cheap. At least you are getting new suspension, abs module and speed sensors!

Could make more money parting this car lol!
Hate to bust your bubble, 6 speed swap is not cheap or easy (electronic wise), its easily a $3-4k job, only reason I did it on mine was because I like the car and have no desire of selling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria View Post
Good God, I was thinking of getting an E39 540i manual, but I guess I'm going back to E34 540i.
Its really not that bad, you just have to be very careful when looking at the cars, right now there are two polar extremes in used E39 market, one is super cheap and beat up (typically driven by guys want to look baller with ebay lights), another is well maintain but at crazy prices, there are very few in between, generally speaking the pre-vanos motors seem to be very reliable in comparison to vanos motors, I admit its lot more expensive to maintain one compare to similar age Lexus, but its a different kind of satisfaction when you realized you just stopped all the oil leaks by changing the gaskets, suddently you feel lot more manly, you walked into the house and demand your wife head up to the bedroom.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH HHHHH
__________________
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #17
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
Engine is bullet proof and will take you well over 500K

However...everythign else on the car will break.

Outside door handles break off
Inside door handles break off
window regulators fail $$$
cooling system fails
auxilary water pump fails
valey pan gasket fails $$$
valve cover gaskets
cup holders break
pixels dont work properly on the odometer
trunk rusts
hood rusts
front door rust
power steering leaks
rear main seal leaks $$$
abs module failure $$$
speed sensors
ignition switch
drive shaft hanger bearing
headlight adjusters
Crank Case Valve (CCV)
air bad sensor in the seat cracks $$$
etc.. i could go on and on

stay away from E39 if you want my advice. Cars are too old and are prone for failures
you will dump alot of money into it and resale value is garbage.
+1

I had every one of those issues and then some (power steering pumps, rads and cooling components exploding). And many of those things will break over and over regardless of replacement. Oh and the suspension components wear out way too fast.

540's are money pits, hate to say it. Unfortunately it's not just a case of "keep it maintained and it'll be fine". I maintained mine more than most people would, replacing lots of things before they became problems, and still things broke without warning, and without me even being hard on it.

I was not sad to see my 540 go when I got rid of it. sold with 290k on the clock.

That being said, it was a blast to drive when everything was working properly, which wasn't often sadly.
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
5style
Hatters gon Hatt
 
5style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronot
Posts: 5,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
Hate to bust your bubble, 6 speed swap is not cheap or easy (electronic wise), its easily a $3-4k job, only reason I did it on mine was because I like the car and have no desire of selling it.



Its really not that bad, you just have to be very careful when looking at the cars, right now there are two polar extremes in used E39 market, one is super cheap and beat up (typically driven by guys want to look baller with ebay lights), another is well maintain but at crazy prices, there are very few in between, generally speaking the pre-vanos motors seem to be very reliable in comparison to vanos motors, I admit its lot more expensive to maintain one compare to similar age Lexus, but its a different kind of satisfaction when you realized you just stopped all the oil leaks by changing the gaskets, suddently you feel lot more manly, you walked into the house and demand your wife head up to the bedroom.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH HHHHH

sam , ur retarded lololololol.
__________________
Cayenne hunting!
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
JINT
5th Gear Member
 
JINT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jewtown
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
Engine is bullet proof and will take you well over 500K

However...everythign else on the car will break.

Outside door handles break off
Inside door handles break off
window regulators fail $$$
cooling system fails
auxilary water pump fails
valey pan gasket fails $$$
valve cover gaskets
cup holders break
pixels dont work properly on the odometer
trunk rusts
hood rusts
front door rust
power steering leaks
rear main seal leaks $$$
abs module failure $$$
speed sensors
ignition switch
drive shaft hanger bearing
headlight adjusters
Crank Case Valve (CCV)
air bad sensor in the seat cracks $$$
etc.. i could go on and on

stay away from E39 if you want my advice. Cars are too old and are prone for failures
you will dump alot of money into it and resale value is garbage.
I don't think so about the 500K part, i know at least 4 540's that are owned by friends or relatives at over 350K and they burn oil like no tomorrow already. But YES it will drive to 500 LOL.
__________________
1990 M5 Euro
You wash your car like it was your firstborn child, you tend to its needs like it was your own body, you protect it like it's your family, then you drive it like you stole it
JINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
Mover
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TO
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSR View Post
I agree. Many great cars have a grocery list!

I just got in my 98 540i (6speed) with 326KM Runs and drives like a clock. This is after selling my 1997 540i (6speed) with a mere 376000 km

still tonnes of car and life for the money.
My car has been pretty reliable as well compared to others who have posted.

I've had about 1/2 of the problems listed in the extensive list.

Engine pulls like a train and doesn't burn oil. Change the oil every 7K. The tranny is solid as well.

I've got over 250k on it and it still dynos at 260whp on a dynojet.

Last edited by Mover; 10-11-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #21
VSR
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
My car has been pretty reliable as well compared to others who have posted.

I've had about 1/2 of the problems listed in the extensive list.

Engine pulls like a train and doesn't burn oil. Change the oil every 7K. The tranny is solid as well.

I've got over 250k on it and it still dynos at 260whp on a dynojet.
Nice!
VSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #22
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
So much over exaggeration in this thread.
I can make a list like that for ANY other make that has 200K under its belt.

My BMW's have been some of my most reliable cars. I guess if you buy the cheapest one you find, you are bound to have some issues later on. The other thing is too many people don't want to maintain their cars. Euro cars are not as forgiving as Japanese cars are when it comes to neglect.
I hate to say it, but the list is pretty dead on...even missing a few things! Many of them are bad design, and maintaining it has nothing to do with it! (how do you take care of your cluster pixels so they dont burn out? or keep your 528i springs from snapping!?) The E34 was FAR more reliable, and the E32 is just a tank in comparison...Too bad they are all so outdated.
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5


Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #23
JINT
5th Gear Member
 
JINT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jewtown
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
I hate to say it, but the list is pretty dead on...even missing a few things! Many of them are bad design, and maintaining it has nothing to do with it! (how do you take care of your cluster pixels so they dont burn out? or keep your 528i springs from snapping!?) The E34 was FAR more reliable, and the E32 is just a tank in comparison...Too bad they are all so outdated.
+1 on that
__________________
1990 M5 Euro
You wash your car like it was your firstborn child, you tend to its needs like it was your own body, you protect it like it's your family, then you drive it like you stole it
JINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
I hate to say it, but the list is pretty dead on...even missing a few things! Many of them are bad design, and maintaining it has nothing to do with it! (how do you take care of your cluster pixels so they dont burn out? or keep your 528i springs from snapping!?) The E34 was FAR more reliable, and the E32 is just a tank in comparison...Too bad they are all so outdated.
Really? Cluster pixels is the make it or break it on such a well engineered automobile? Those are nothing but minor nuisances.

I do agree the ee32 and e34 are better built. Especially the 535/735's.
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #25
MLue1
3rd Gear Member
 
MLue1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Markham
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
...I do agree the ee32 and e34 are better built. Especially the 535/735's.
...better built and reliable...maybe but stock E39 540s will smoke 'em all day long.
__________________
Mark
'99 E39 540iT
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #26
njansenv
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 524
^ As long as the 540 isn't in the shop.

Still want one.
__________________
1998 328i "M-tech"
2001 TDI Golf. 1300km/tank commuter. Boring, slow, cheap.
1991 P-car: 964c4 Let the porcupine jokes commence.


Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #27
JINT
5th Gear Member
 
JINT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jewtown
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
...better built and reliable...maybe but stock E39 540s will smoke 'em all day long.
haven't had an E39 540 pull me yet, had them keeping up with me at most
__________________
1990 M5 Euro
You wash your car like it was your firstborn child, you tend to its needs like it was your own body, you protect it like it's your family, then you drive it like you stole it
JINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 AM   #28
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Really? Cluster pixels is the make it or break it on such a well engineered automobile? Those are nothing but minor nuisances.

I do agree the ee32 and e34 are better built. Especially the 535/735's.
No it wont. No single item on that list will, but when you add it all up it does come up to A LOT! (as in $$$, time, and agravation of not everything working on your car). Even so, i going to look at a 540i 6spd soon!
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5


Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #29
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
haven't had an E39 540 pull me yet, had them keeping up with me at most
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #30
sproule905
6th Gear Member
 
sproule905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Landing
Posts: 1,328
just picked up an 01 M5 - thing has everything done and ALL service records.

only down side - some of the pixels are dead, but still very ledgable. Also, once in a while the service engine light come on.. I suspect its oil hungry.
__________________

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.