Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #16
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
oh...constructive.

yes maintenance on the boxster is not cheap. be prepared for deep pockets or know someone that is willing to work on it for you. i believe the oil filter is up on top...at least the 2010 model is. many things do require an engine drop.

i think the boxster is a far better drive than the z4...it just feels more alive or visceral...but there is that pesky cost to maintain.

there is the TT...it's very different.

find out cost to maintain the boxster...i'd go with that one instead of the z4 unless you can get the MZ4 but probably not in the price range you are looking for.
I did look at the TT - there weren't a lot of drop tops out there - that's a big requirement for me. I've always wanted a convertible.

I completely agree about the Porsche. I love the on-the-rails like handling it has. But - and this is a big but for me - I do not deal with surprise major expenses very well. The porsche has a history of problems with the RMS and IMS, even in the newer ones (less so, but still there). With BMW - I know I will have to do fixes here and there - but I highly doubt I'll need to replace my entire engine, which is a possibility with the IMS issue.

I'm gonna see if I can find a TT to test drive. The other problem with the TT is that many years ago, I checked one out and I couldn't even extend my legs in the car - my knees were up in the steering wheel. Hopefully the newer models are different.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

presume you looked at Lotus? not within budget?

i still maintain Trex would make a great summer car....if it was road legal in ON.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Lotus? In the $20's? No way - not for anything remotely newer. I don't want to buy too old a car with a ton of problems.

The Elise looks... interesting... I don't know how I feel about that. It would turn heads, that for sure...

Even the TT - I'm not sure I like the way the car looks...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
damameke
6th Gear Member

Another option S2000, I own a 2001 Z3 Roadster and have no issue, i did look at the
Z4, but somehow the Z3 body won over the 4, unless you want a 2009 Z4 with steel hardtop..(over the $20 of course)
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Another option S2000, I own a 2001 Z3 Roadster and have no issue, i did look at the
Z4, but somehow the Z3 body won over the 4, unless you want a 2009 Z4 with steel hardtop..(over the $20 of course)
Funny you mention the S2000 - I went to see one today. That thing is smaller then a can of sardines. I LITERALLY twisted my hip getting out of it and now it hurts when I step!! Nope - that won't be on my books...

Really about the Z3? I was never a fan of the Z3 styling, I perferred the Z4 myself.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

lol...i dont know much about porsche but purely on exterior prospective , z4 wins over the porsche boxter in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
lol...i dont know much about porsche but purely on exterior prospective , z4 wins over the porsche boxter in my opinion.
The Porsche is awesome on handling - breaking that thing free is a hard task. It handles like it's on rails.

That being said - I'm not throwing my car around corners all day long, so do I really need that kind of handling...

The last one I have to check out is the TT - Once I've done that, I think I'll be settled that Z4 is the way to go...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #23
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

the 1.8T is pretty garrrbage. you should look at the 3.2 litre quattro if anything.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

At this point, I'm more concerned about how the car feels, etc. Once I like that, then I'll worry about which engine - but you're right, no 4 banger here...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

TT is also FWD...

either BMW Zs will be less prone to surprises unless it's a lemon of a used car.

P car is a bit of a crap shoot...some are perfectly fine...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #26
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

i have a 06 z4. if you think the s2000 is small the z4 isnt any better. its really low to the ground and isnt made for tall people.
azn_oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #27
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_oo1 View Post
i have a 06 z4. if you think the s2000 is small the z4 isnt any better. its really low to the ground and isnt made for tall people.
I fit fine in the Z4 and the Boxster. When the S2000 door closed, it actually pushed me into the car.

I've driven the Z4 and Boxster. The S2000 I didn't even attempt to as it was too cramped for my legs to use the pedals. I did not have a problem with the other two.

That being said, it was a little tight. I don't mind that as it'll give me incentive to lose some weight!!

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post

That being said, it was a little tight. I don't mind that as it'll give me incentive to lose some weight!!
damn was going to have fun with that...

Lotus would be perfect...toyota engine...must be super reliable. shame about the prices. guess their rarity keeps the prices up.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #29
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
damn was going to have fun with that...

Lotus would be perfect...toyota engine...must be super reliable. shame about the prices. guess their rarity keeps the prices up.
I know I gotta drop it - just need the right motivation!

Yea - The Lotus would have been interesting... Not sure I'd want to keep up with maintenance. My bro in law's had some in his time - Esprits, etc. and he said they were alright, but when they had problems, big dollars...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #30
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

Esprits yes are real headaches...i don't believe the issues persist with the Elise or Exige as the engine are from Toyota...same ones you find in Corollas. And the trannies are from Honda...though I'm not sure Honda makes great trannies.

the rest is body work and other annoyances but not the typical major powertrain issues found in the Esprit.

just down to capital cost.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: