Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
spoon_civic1
2nd Gear Member

s54 into e46 sedan

he guys just wondering how difficult this swap would be, i currently have a 98 328i and a 2002 325i and a s54 complete drivetrain sitting around, was thinking of putting it into the e36 but was also considering the 325....car is going to be a curcuit car............just looking for the easiest swap if thats even possible lol

Thanks guys
spoon_civic1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Obviously the easy swap would be in the e46. E36 is very doable but way more work. As long as you have all the parts, almost everything is bolt on to the 325.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Obviously the easy swap would be in the e46. E36 is very doable but way more work. As long as you have all the parts, almost everything is bolt on to the 325.
Why more work? In either case it's really the same ...
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
gnome
on the roam

Hey guys, its just a matter of time now before I will start shopping around for the S54 swap into my E46 Gnome-Mobile, and of course the 6MT swap along with it (might as well).

We can make this a reference, with photos and write up which would be great PR for a local shop. Perfect stealth Munchenwagen.
Any takers?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Banned

Anyone interested in S54 swap into a Non-M E46 chassis may feel free to PM me and ask any questions.

I've done them and know every single aspect of whats needed and how to go about it.

I also dont need any money for this info and will share with anyone.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^do a write-up?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Banned

Well, I can write it up BUT in short form , details could be told in person, as its easier and I can also show the car we did and its much easier to understand then sit here and read all this.

This is for Non-m E46.

Everything bolts right in, no need for any custom work or any stupid ways to go about it. However, you need ALOT of parts to make it an easy swap. Basically in order to make it a headache free swap you'll need the following
-s54 with all accessories intake plenum and box as well as MAF, both wiring harnesses, engine and accessories
- MSS54 DME from same motor
-M3 radiator and M3 oil coller
-M3 steering rack, later would need to shorten the tie rods or get aftermarket adjustable ones.(M3 has a much wider track all due to longer tie rods in the front, rear track is accommodated with low offset rims )
-M3 expansion tank
-M3 air pump
-M3 fuel pump and filter
-M3 exhaust manifolds and 02 sensors (your old cat back exhaust wont fit but a small trip to the muffler shop will fix that)
-M3 windsheild washer tank
-You DONT need to change keys, you will use your old key and your old ignition lock.
- You DONT need M3 EWS

Everything will bolt right in IF you have all the needed parts. I truly mean everything is bolt in, engine and the location of the other parts right down to the location of the airbox and location of the airpump (the holes that were used for the windsheild washer are now used for the airpump bracket.)Your old windsheld tank is now in the dumpster and you can try to mount the M3 tank behind the bumper or relocate the lines into your empty drug bin with your old tank there. The fuel delivery SHOULD be changed over from your non-m as the M3 fuel pump is needed for optimum balance as well as the fact that non-m fuel filter has different exit fittings. Just buy a fuel filter and the pump, lines stay the same.

You will use MSS54 DME and your old ms43 or whatever you had goes in the dumpster. Now you need to find anyone who has access to advanced coding software in order to delete the EWS from the car and synchronize the pedal to DME (now if you have the old E46 with a cable throttle you will need to buy a drive by wire pedal), any one will work it DOESNT have to be from M3 to work. rewire and process of switching from cable to DBW wont be discussed here.

Once the pedal is synch'd just start the car up and off you go. Your old cluster will work just fine and show all thats needed. You may pick up a separate oil temp gauge and put in whereever you want.

Its takes money to make it right and the ONLY reason why people have so much problems is because they think they can do it better then BMW engineers designed. They all try to fabricate some stupid brackets for oil coolers(instead of buying an M3 rad, because the oil cooler will ONLY fit onto M3 rad, been there done that) or new water lines for rad(the inlet is the same on the block but exit is different , because the ET is on the pass side and not on driver) or try to solder their old PS lines to the new ones...

A few key things to remember when you want to do this is NOT to buy things off of SMG cars and do NOT EVER buy a DME out of a convertable, or you will have the nightmare of your life.

Basically, if you have to ask , your best bet would be to pay a shop whos done it before and sit and wait for it to be done. Or try to do it yourself and mess it all up, your choice.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

how much more difficult is it in an E46 328i with the good ol' M52?
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Banned

Just a matter of taking out the old cable out and wiring a new drive by wire pedal in. Not much more difficult, Id say add 2 hours to the job.

You'll have to reinitialize the pedal later anyway even if you already had a DBW pedal.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

thanks new member. i didnt realize it was so similar to an m54-->s54 swap.

all in due time..........
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
I didn't know how i miss this thread, But the swap is much harder that you make it seem sure it will bolt in,it the same chassis. the main problem is wiring. I can think of plenty wiring schematics on mated this motor in an e46 that are not EVEN DOCUMENTED by BMW.

And NO its not similar to M54. It totally different rewiring of fuses, adding new wires to different modules, coding,programming etc. Try it let us know your outcome.

www.StanceFactory.com

Last edited by ZiMMie; 12-30-2011 at 07:35 AM.
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
andy328i
1st Gear Newbie

Why is using a DME from a convertable so hard ?? I ask this because i might buy a m3 conv. and swap it into my 328i! Are you say it can't be done ? details please.....
andy328i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: