Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #271
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
Oh sweet Georgia
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRWD View Post
I like your build. I've been following it for a while.

Question: The interior, did you use tremclad white paint in spray car, roll it with a thinned out version, or did you bust out a real spray gun?

Have you considered this product (mostly available in the states at Walmart and Autozone.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/
Thanks!

Yup, all rollered on tremclad. Took a few coats, but it covered eventually.

I was actually in NY for most of last week and the weekend, and by coincidence got to check out walmarts auto section which had a pretty good selection of stuff! I don't recall our Cdn stores being this good (its been awhile, I don't normally shop at walmart)... but yeah, if I would have had access to that, I probably would have considered it... Thanks for posting it though, definitely gives something to think about for the next project

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #272
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Installed (placed temporarily) some stuff in the car to motivate me this week. Set the dash back in, as well as the seat, and installed some random shift lever I found in the shop along with the old shift knob I took off my E46. Good enough for temporary stuff. The shifter linkage actually feels pretty good, not as sloppy as I thought it would be with all used, mixmatched junk.

I also drilled a few holes and mounted the ecu and the idle control box inside the car. Still have to tie up the wires so its tidy.

My buddy Steve came over today to show off 'v2.0' of the SR20 swapped E30, and that motivated me even more hearing a turbocharged 4cyl... He gave me a few pointers too for wiring, since I'm pretty noob at that stuff... Hopefully I can make some more progress this week.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #273
DIY
Permanently Dirty

This looks beautifuL!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Where did you get your guages from? I've been looking for some nice guages, how much did you pay?
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #274
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
This looks beautifuL!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Where did you get your guages from? I've been looking for some nice guages, how much did you pay?
Thanks! Gauges I already got with the first 2002 I had, which became the parts donor. You can get the gauges cheap from Jegs or Summit Racing, but they won't be metric.

So today I did a couple odds and ends when I had the time. I got a few of the missing items I needed... Still looking for interior panels though.

Gas cap mounted up. Sitting pretty all shiney:

Starting to glue the trunk seal on

Painted the hinges and put the trunk on. Cheap paint, I think I might have to redo these another time. Sigh.

Fit the trunk on... So far so good... Don't worry about that paint on the trunk, it will be painted over soon

But the right side seems to be too far in? Or maybe the car is slightly bent?

The hell with it! Its a track car, probably going to get dinged up again soon.

Mounted the kill switch on the dash support. It will pop out under the dash when it is done. Made a huge hole in the dash support so there is less chance of wires getting near the body, and also for accessibility too.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #275
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Put the rear windows in today. Forgot the glue the rear headliner to the pillar, so it isn't tucked under the seal very nice... meh, I'll deal with it later.

These seals that go behind the rear side windows... I friggin' HATE those! I probably made up countless new combinations of swear words trying to put them in...

Trim all riveted on, seal installed, window in! One of the popout linkages was broken, so I snagged them off of the second set of windows from the rusty donor car. Only drawback is they are from an early car which is chrome. I want the black ones from the later model! Oh well.

All installed!

I still need to get some of that chrome window lock trim. Hopefully next week. The car looks so much better when it is coming together.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #276
tonyhavana
2nd Gear Member

Looking good there Rudy, hope to see it soon.
Is that the trunklid from one of the original Beach racers? If it is, you should leave it the way it is for it's historic significance. And as for the black latches, ask Smitty, maybe he'd trade for you for the chrome ones.
tonyhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #277
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhavana View Post
Is that the trunklid from one of the original Beach racers? If it is, you should leave it the way it is for it's historic significance. And as for the black latches, ask Smitty, maybe he'd trade for you for the chrome ones.
Yeah, I'll trade for chrome ones!

I also LOVE that trunklid. Giving me ideas for some faux-period vinyl next season (never thought I'd write that sentence!).
Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #278
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Yes, it is a trunk from one of the Beach cars. Awhile back, I tried to trace the origins of it, but nobody could really tell me for sure until I talked to Randy T. about it this summer. He got a quick answer from Rolf that 290 was white at one point, and this is the trunklid from it. You can see the orange underneath the peeling paint. Unfortunately, it is in pretty bad shape. It looks good in pics, but it will definitely need some rust repair soon. I will have to paint it whether I want to or not. I did think of continuing the colour scheme, I might still do that if somebody might happen to dig up some pics of the 'white' 290 (from all the research, I have tons of pics of the 'orange' 190 and 290. One day I'd love to build a replica of the #190 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Yeah, I'll trade for chrome ones!

I also LOVE that trunklid. Giving me ideas for some faux-period vinyl next season (never thought I'd write that sentence!).
I'm down for a trade, but I am not sure if you would be happy with the condition of these, as they definitely aren't perfect. You should take a look one day then you see the car in person.

Started to get cracking on the wiring this evening... finally. My dad is pretty much holding my hand with this one, because I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. Just looking at a pile of wires frustrates me.

Plugged the rear harness into the taillights, and ran it up to the front. From there, we cut off a lot.

We cut off pretty much a good half of the jazz that runs inside the car. And yes, that's my roll cage piping on the floor that hasn't moved at all

The original front harness was missing some stuff, and had a few connections that looked a bit fried. So that will be binned.

Tada! Another front harness became a victim to the cause. I did the same, plugged into the headlights, and ran it to see what to chop off... I'm halfway done chopping this one up.

Oddball stuff I may keep on the left, garbage pile on the right.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #279
Banned

Nice work......by the way I've got a friend that has a "rare" hi performance engine for that car
411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #280
tonyhavana
2nd Gear Member

First off, don't look at it as a 'rusty' trunk-lid, look at it as a 'lightened' trunk-lid.
I vote you keep it the way it is, that little bit of patina and history should be saved and cherished.
tonyhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #281
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
Nice work......by the way I've got a friend that has a "rare" hi performance engine for that car
Thanks.

Quote:
First off, don't look at it as a 'rusty' trunk-lid, look at it as a 'lightened' trunk-lid.
I vote you keep it the way it is, that little bit of patina and history should be saved and cherished.
LOL. Trust me man, it didn't look like much history when I got it, as it was pretty rusty, even on the outside... I bet anyone would have chucked it out... I saw it as an opportunity to weld the trim holes shut and just hit it with a bit of spray paint so it didn't get any worse. It was more brown than white before!!

Anyways. So lots of progress this week, although I won't be able to make it for my track day this coming Monday. I am pretty close though, so I may be able to shake it down maybe in a week from now if I can find a cheap lapping day at Mosport's DDT.

First thing I did was pitch the lighter and install a starter button.

Working on the switch panel. Used a bunch of E30 breaker switches

Got a key for my kill switch!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #282
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Started to run stuff inside the car. Rear harness as well as a battery cable on the passenger side to run up to the kill switch.

Wiring

More wiring

And more wiring. Running some extra harnesses for gauges and idiot lights on the dash.

Somewhat finishedish wiring travelling inside the car on the passenger side.

Driver side is almost done. Still have to fix the relays and stuff near the firewall.

Rear trunk stuff done

Richard came by today and installed the rear bumper for me. He did a great job.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #283
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Good progress buddy

Wish I had time to get up to see it. If you do get it on the track this year let me know. I'd like to see it run.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #284
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1602 View Post
Wish I had time to get up to see it. If you do get it on the track this year let me know. I'd like to see it run.
Thanks John. I'm trying, i'm trying! I will definitely let you know, I'll have Richard let you know too so you won't forget

Tried to finish my cluster today, but luck just wasn't on my side. I picked up the assortment of lights I ordered in...

They look nice, but they didn't light up very bright. I was disappointed.

So to remedy that, I looked in my E30 parts car, and snipped off a few connectors that light up the gauge cluster/climate control panel/ashtrays/etc. The holders are a bit too big to fit in the light, but tape will support them fine.

Here is half of the harness I started to make on the weekend

Just double checking before I drill holes that I can see everything fine. I kind of forgot that everything is laid out really well and that won't be a problem.

Test fit

Tried to finish soldering up the wires, but the soldering gun crapped out. Arrghh.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #285
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Finally finished up the gauge cluster today. Messing around with the soldering gun was worth it, damn those new lights are waaayyyy brighter than the original bulbs.

All back together! Idiot lights are: Oil pressure, Water pressure (not hooked up yet), Signals (not hooked up either), and Alternator.

Hook it all up, and turn the kill switch! WE HAVE LIFE!! I think the only gauge hooked up is the RPM... I either have the wrong sending units, or don't have them at all... Need to find...

WE HAVE BRAKE LIGHTS!!

WE HAVE SPARK!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I just have to button up a few items: fuel cell, a couple grounds here and there, and I can attempt to start it again tomorrow!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: