Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Rebuilding engine. Interested in some serious opinions with experience.

I am about to go balls deep into a major project. I have decided to make my 90' 325 into a streetable track sort of car. This means some boost is in order. I won't get into what my build is here as I am just looking to see if people have had experience with getting their motor rebuilt. I have decided against doing the motor rebuilt myself. I have a fairly decent budget for all this so I am fully ready to put down the money necessary for this to all be done properly.

I will have the motor out. So basically I want to bring just a complete motor with head to a shop and have it built. I do not plan on doing any real aftermarket upgrades to the motor itself. However I would like to have the block O'ringed and possibly have the coolant channels in the aluminum head welded as they are prone to crack. My motor is all original and untouched (250 000km, bought it with 75 000 on it ). So the motor needs to be completely gone through and anything not right needs to be made right.

I know the forum favorites are RPM, and Bimmersport (not sure if bimmer offers full rebuilds).

Questions:
-Has anyone had their motors rebuilt, or have had any of the extra work I stated done by either of those shops?
-Has anyone had this work done by other shops in the area?
-What quality and care can I expect from any of these shops?

I would like this work to be done by someone that has done it all before and is very familiar with it (as I said earlier I am not afraid to spend $ in this area)

Any opinions or experiences or any comments welcome
And if there is any unclear information comment as well

Thanks for any help.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

You need a machine shop, not a shop like Bimmersport, RMP, etc. As they probably outsource all the machine work and ate probably only interested in the labor to install it.

PM Natorious VR, he seems to know his way around turbo m20s. He may know the right people who have done what you are asking before, which is what you want. You don't want some machine shop learning how to o-ring your block or weld aluminum on your head.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Ya I know that some of the work needs to be done at a machine shop, this is the information I am looking for. I had my doubts for Bimmersport, but RMP lists
Engine overhauling and rebuilding
in their services category, so I thought maybe they were into that sort of thing.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

This is the thread I was referring to. http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139921

Also I know you are kinda set on a turbo build. But do you plan to take your car to track days and drive it hard? Do you already have track experience? Only reason I ask is because if your not a very experienced driver, you'd probably be better off starting with an m/s5x swap and learning how to drive that.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
I know of a machine shop that can do all the things you're looking to get done, kinda on the expensive side however and they are very busy as its a very small shop...

let me know and i'll send you their contact info.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
This is the thread I was referring to. http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139921

Also I know you are kinda set on a turbo build. But do you plan to take your car to track days and drive it hard? Do you already have track experience? Only reason I ask is because if your not a very experienced driver, you'd probably be better off starting with an m/s5x swap and learning how to drive that.
I will take my car to track days. I have little track experience and I know it would be a far better option to go go s52 swap or a counterpart, but I like m20's I dont know why and boost is fun.

But ya i would agree you are right in the fact that N/A would totally be better for me to learn to drive on, but I made a decision, and I am going to stick with it.

e30_kid89,
You have PM
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I hear you, I definitely know where you are going with this. But as Tdot stated, NA is better for road courses. I've seen way too many Turbo guys over the last 16 years of going to the track 30+times a year on the side of the track or ending their sessions early or days early because of "issues". For road course reconsider and go N/A.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

/\ Haha ya I know. I am trying to build it as solid as possible, which is what this whole thread is about.

Anyone else know of any good shops?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

bump, still making my list of places to check out
Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Natorious VR, seriously PM him!, and check out that thread on the 2.8L stroker boost, I know him as a friend of a friend and every conversation amkes me smarter, the things he's done with turbos and tuning is awesome, used to run a S14 in the CTCC, he works at a garage so ask him which one and check it out!!!
DIY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #11
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
Natorious VR, seriously PM him!, and check out that thread on the 2.8L stroker boost, I know him as a friend of a friend and every conversation amkes me smarter, the things he's done with turbos and tuning is awesome, used to run a S14 in the CTCC, he works at a garage so ask him which one and check it out!!!
Notorious VR isn't the SG-Motorsport guy you are referring too. Same first name, but thats about it.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: