Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
cormier
6th Gear Member

Subframe, TAs, Rear Discs continued

How we were looking by Saturday night
Not much space to work, but its enough.
A good cleann up and reposition in order to move the car further back is in store for when the car is roll-able

I then had a bit too much fun with the SLR and tripod, and zoom lens at night. Also took some pix of the e46, my girlfriend and buddies, the neighbors place... you get the idea

In the morning I took a few hours and completed the ebrake mechanism on the drivers side. Again, new shoes and springs were used, but I didnt bother with a picture because I was too dirty and annoyed at it lol.

Installed the calipers and brackets, pads, and brake lines

How it was left. The sway bar isn't hooked up because I forgot about the trailing arm bracket pieces, and the fronts didnt look like they would fit on the back.

We also did some work on the diff, and ran into a few kinks. More on the diff in the next post.

Last edited by cormier; 08-28-2011 at 07:43 PM.
cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
cormier
6th Gear Member

The Diff issues

So -- the Diff.

The BLACK oil from my original diff

The LSD, drained. Its oil was in MUCH better shape.

Now for the problem, the speed sensor.

It's my own fault I didn't understand thoroughly enough the diff before I went into it. The old open diff from my e30 has this style speed sensor connector (this is a picture of the body connector obviously)

But the LSD (which was being used in an e36ti, not sure the original car) has this sensor

I don't know if my sensor is specific to early model e30s, or if the small case e30s all used this type or what.
I had assumed since they were both small case diffs, I would be able to simply swap the sensors over and use the e30 sensor on the new diff.

The sensors, e36 on the left e30 on the right. Notice the o-ring on the e36 sensor

The e30 sensor wouldnt go into the LSD port, with or without the o-ring. I think the sensor was hitting the fin in the hole (not good).

We put the e36 sensor back on and filled the diff back up. I may have make a connector between the e30 body and e36 plug. I hate electrical. Anyone else have this problem or know what I'm talking about? I couldn't find much information on speed sensor plugs.

I also didnt make sure the halfshafts from the e30 would bolt up to the new outputs. They dont. lol the bolts and holes are bigger on the e30. I swapped the old ones in from the e30, except that on one side there was a bolt that had to be cut when I was taking it out. I was unable to remove the bolt threads, even when I used a propane torch. Will try again this week and then put it on the new diff.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
BigD
the misanthropist

If that's a Ti diff, isn't it a small case? It might not live long behind the S52.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
cormier
6th Gear Member

It is a small case -- I hadn't even looked into if I could run a medium case -- but I guess theyd be interchangeable? Ugh I'm kicking myself lol

Speed sensor would still pose a problem tho I believe

Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
I believe all E30s up to around 87 used that style plug. Pretty sure my 88 had the newer style already.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
cormier
6th Gear Member

Hmmm -- any stock connector that I can use as an adapter? Any thoughts on small vs medium case?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
craz azn
6th Gear Member

I'd run the small case anyways until it blows up. I don't see it being that much of a problem if it was in good shape to begin with and as long as you don't abuse it too much (drifting, crazy standing starts) I would expect it to hold up for awhile.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Wow this is looking great dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #24
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
Wow this is looking great dude!
Thanks man! I really need the encouragement its easy to hit walls in a big project like this!

So not much of an update, just some off-car stuff:

Got some parts from Turner, including my chip

Installed on the 413:

Also got some THR parts, including swap adapter, CABs, and OBD1 sensors

As well as scrapyard m50 manifold and fuel rail

Just arrived today: UUC stage 2 lightweight flywheel, which uses the m5 clutch/pressure plate

Lightly used for a great price off a member on r3v

Hoping to get some work done on the weekend, even though I won't have much time -- I need to reorganize my work space pretty badly too, and im working on getting a hold of an engine crane from my cousin as well

Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
cormier
6th Gear Member

Also got the Eisenmann e36 race today

The tips are HUGE! Lucky I didnt get the 83mm, I was thinking about it

The 76 will be nice on the e30.

Some pix:

Just thought I'd share, I think its going to be the nicest piece of this whole project

Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
JINT
5th Gear Member

the muffler is sickkk
Old 09-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
cormier
6th Gear Member

Anyone here installed a front IE sway bar?

The Metal mount reinforcement blocks baffle me -- I'm not sure how theyre supposed to mount or if I should even try to use them :S? Im worried though at how thin the metal on the stock mount looks

They have two holes in them but they dont line up with anything...

Also, the shape of the bar looks much different (straighter in the middle) than my stock bar.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get the CAs replaced and drop the sway bar to compare bars. I'll take some pictures of what I'm getting at

Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #28
cormier
6th Gear Member

Got a few hours in today:

Started with the front end, took the hood off and removed intake piping, radiator, cooling lines, harness attachments, dme, etc

All that is left now are the fuel lines and filter, as well as the charcoal(?) canister that mounts right next to the fuel filter on the drivers side under the intake manifold

There's also still two bolts on the bellhousing: the top one and the starter (with nut)

Old rad and some random crap I pulled off for now for space

Also started tinkering with the IE sway bar

I'm confused again on what to do with these reinforcement plates, I can't see how or where they will fit

I haven't seen this style end link in any of my searching, most of them have another joint at the bottom looks almost mirror of the top

Either way, I mounted one on one of the new control arms and it looks to fit well. I assume this is how it's supposed to go

Next up is to get that cherry picker in here

Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #29
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Looking good man, progress!!! Not sure what that sway bar jazz is from though, that doesn't look like it would fit the E30. The links look kind of 2002ish fitment lol, or maybe even E21? That mounting base is weird!

Last edited by craz azn; 09-25-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #30
DIY
Permanently Dirty

this is lookin awesom man! I cant wait to see this at autocross events just watching youtube vids I'ed def get the Eisenmann exhaust, that noise is just Fantastic!!!! like angels singing on a warm summers day... E30 FTW
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: