Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

Just picked up a '95 540/6 - need advice

Hi guys,

New to MaXbimmer, but member of bimmerforums for a while - more involved while the '98 M3 was still in the family.

Anyway, I just picked up a '95 540i/6 (oxford on parchment, 18" Style 5's) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed - don't know these cars as well as I should.

It's currently running fairly well, and preventative maintenance will be the first priority, but beyond that I need guidance.

I would like to change the suspension (lowered by previous owner and I'm not hugely confident in the set up). From my research so far I am thinking Blisten Sports, but would appreciate any other recommendations.

Power is the next priority, and this is where I'm most in need of help. To start, I'm thinking I'll just do the standard intake/ecu/exhaust upgrade, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice for each of those components. I've heard good things about the Conforti chip, and a fair number of people seem to be running Dinan software. Intake suggestions? In terms of exhaust, I know the stock set up for the '95 540 was fairly good - I really only want to change it for a slightly more aggressive sound. Beyond that, if there are any other changes you would recommend, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks guys

Last edited by JJJames; 08-14-2011 at 10:55 PM.
JJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

Also - fuel door swings open while driving - any idea how I'd fix this?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJames View Post
Also - fuel door swings open while driving - any idea how I'd fix this?
lock your doors from the inside while you're driving and it wont swing, otherwise change the "C" looking spring on the fuel door. The 540 is pretty dead for more serious tuning than what you have listed. It's quiet expensive to do forced induction on it.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Look at MarkD software, I've been meaning to get it for my car, but 400hp has been keeping me plenty entertained.

As for the exhaust, before you spend $$ on an aftermarket muffler, try the muffler delete mod with exhaust tips. You will be surprised at the result and so little money.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
lock your doors from the inside while you're driving and it wont swing, otherwise change the "C" looking spring on the fuel door. The 540 is pretty dead for more serious tuning than what you have listed. It's quiet expensive to do forced induction on it.
Cams/headers/throttle bodies? How do you like the LSD? Worth the money?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Look at MarkD software, I've been meaning to get it for my car, but 400hp has been keeping me plenty entertained.

As for the exhaust, before you spend $$ on an aftermarket muffler, try the muffler delete mod with exhaust tips. You will be surprised at the result and so little money.
Sounds tempting - I'm not all that comfortable with my ability to carve up the exhaust system though. If I were to bite the bullet and go for an aftermarket system, is there one that is generally known as superior?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
marek
5th Gear Member

I got some brand new Bilstein/RD rear shocks for cheap if you are interested.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142228
marek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
If I were to bite the bullet and go for an aftermarket system, is there one that is generally known as superior?
I bought a B&B for mine, but I don't know if I'd spend the money again. If I did, I'd probably spend a little more and get an Eisenmann, lol(best sound IMO). There aren't many options so you're probably just better off picking a universal muffler and having a shop make something for you.

I've got the exhaust, MarkD chip, JB racing flywheel and a 3.15LSD and to be honest even with all that stuff it's not much different than stock to me. Mind you, those mods came gradually and the car was out of commish for a while, so maybe it'd be more noticeable driven back to back with a stocker.

You say it's running fairly well, but I'd spend my first several hundred bucks on getting it running tip-top: Intake manifold gaskets, PCV plate/OSV, valley pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, vacuum lines, any finicky sensors, etc. If these things haven't been done you should notice a huge improvement right off the bat. Chances are, unless you bought the car off a total fanatic, it needs at least a few of these things.

Also, drop your lower oil pan and check it for oil pump bolts/nuts, unless you know for sure that the PO already addressed this issue. It's pretty common from what I can tell.

Finally, if you haven't already, head back on over to BFC and search around the E34 section. Pretty much any question you can think of relating to your new ride has probably already been answered there. It's a great resource.
Nick_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
I bought a B&B for mine, but I don't know if I'd spend the money again. If I did, I'd probably spend a little more and get an Eisenmann, lol(best sound IMO). There aren't many options so you're probably just better off picking a universal muffler and having a shop make something for you.

I've got the exhaust, MarkD chip, JB racing flywheel and a 3.15LSD and to be honest even with all that stuff it's not much different than stock to me. Mind you, those mods came gradually and the car was out of commish for a while, so maybe it'd be more noticeable driven back to back with a stocker.

You say it's running fairly well, but I'd spend my first several hundred bucks on getting it running tip-top: Intake manifold gaskets, PCV plate/OSV, valley pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, vacuum lines, any finicky sensors, etc. If these things haven't been done you should notice a huge improvement right off the bat. Chances are, unless you bought the car off a total fanatic, it needs at least a few of these things.

Also, drop your lower oil pan and check it for oil pump bolts/nuts, unless you know for sure that the PO already addressed this issue. It's pretty common from what I can tell.

Finally, if you haven't already, head back on over to BFC and search around the E34 section. Pretty much any question you can think of relating to your new ride has probably already been answered there. It's a great resource.

Thanks for this. The Eisenmann system seems like a good choice for aftermarket (if there is one), but I wont be making any purchases until I have complete confidence in the car. Its going to Bimmersport on Monday for a complete inspection/evaluation and at that point I'll be able to assess what needs to be done - hopefully a small list...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
zubbie
Happy Happy Joy Joy

Billy sports are harsh and uncomfortable.

Hot Air intake is a waste of money and in some cases lower HP.

Any exhaust upgrade is for sound changes only (and to empty your wallet of money)

MarkD chip (or any other) is the best bang for the buck. LSD and a better ratio will make a "seat of the pants" difference.

Bottom line is your M60 is pretty well designed for efficient power. Ensure it is running well (as Nick_V mentions) and enjoy. The only substantial path to increased power is a SC system which is not cheap.

89 535iA ; 93 M5
zubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Cams/headers/throttle bodies? How do you like the LSD? Worth the money?
The LSD is nice, very quick off the line, but i would still get the 3.73 instead of the 3.91 that i have. I just couldn't find one at the time i blew my stock one. The 3.91 tops out at around 230km/h, and the consumption went up with it. They call the 3.73 "a perfect diff" for the E34.

"Cams/headers/throttle bodies?" unless you know what you're doing and can install cams yourself, it's gonna run you alotttaaaa money in labour. As for headers the part itself is expensive and it is HARD to work around the bottom end of a V8. It all comes down to your mechanical skill and experience.

Last edited by JINT; 09-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.
JINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post

"Cams/headers/throttle bodies?" unless you know what you're doing and can install cams yourself, it's gonna run you alotttaaaa money in labour. As for headers the part itself is expensive and it is HARD to work around the bottom end of a V8. It all comes down to your mechanical skill and experience.
Never looked for headers, but I remember seeing M60 cams (Shrick, I think) one time for something crazy like ~$4K. Can't imagine they sold too many of those.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I've seen the OP trying to unload this car already in another thread lol.
Nick_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

"Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I've seen the OP trying to unload this car already in another thread lol"

Yup, I debated selling it and switching to an E36, but at this point have put enough money into it so that its no longer worth it to sell so soon. I'll keep it and drive it for a little while and then see where I'm at. Thread's still open though - figure there's no harm in leaving it up: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145154

Last edited by JJJames; 09-02-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: