Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

E46 touring advice.

Hello maxbimmer!

I'm planing on starting my search for an E46 touring this weekend. As such I would like to know what to check for. Where do they rust? What are failure prone part? Any questions specific to the touring I should ask? Finally what model is preferred/better?

Thanks!
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
gnome
on the roam

Smile

E46 Touring is essentially the same as the E46 sedan, follow the same maintenance recommendations and parts replacement schedule as you would with any 325i Sedan, i.e.
- control arm bushings will go about about 80,000Km
- get the mtce record; make sure oil service, inspection I and II (with fuel filter!) schedule was followed
- look for simple things like the BMW hidden flashlight in the glove compartment, is it there? What kind of tires are on the car? No flashlight or cheap no-name tires indicates the owner may not have cared for the car
- change belts and coolant expansion tank proactively, and thermostat, these are known E46 issues
- VANOS seals replacement after about 120,000km. No low end performance without this.
- test the hell out of the automatic transmission, backup then shift to drive. Stop, quickly reverse, stop, then shift to drive again. Observe delays - I needed transmission custom programmed with codes entered per service bulletin.
- test steptronic, all gears up and down

When choosing the Touring, look for the following important facts, I took months to find the right one (CPO at BMW dealer):
Make sure the rear storage pull cover and cargo screen unit comes with the Touring, it is expensive to buy one later.
Look for full size spare and OEM wheel and tool kit under cargo cover!
Make sure there are two keys and test them, including rear hatch release and panic button test.
Drive a couple - there are a few options such as:
5 speed manual with sport packages versus auto/steptronic
Premium Package - I went with this, HK sound, full power/heated seats, cold weather package, etc

As for mods the list goes on to infinity as to what you can do to customize your ride to match your preferences, the usual starting points:
OEM alarm and custom key programming
larger wheels
upgrade suspension and drop
tinting all around
CAI
Upgraded exhaust
Custom Tune (e.g. MarkD tune)
Angel Eyes
Mtech II bumper
M3 strut bar
M3 steering wheel
CF grills, handbrake, shift surround, instrument cluster, etc.
LED lighting, inside and out
clear or smoked corners and sides
Brake rotor or BBK upgrades
etc etc - the sedan parts fit, except suspension, exhaust and LED tail lights, those need Touring part variants.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

^^^ copy, save, print, keep in pocket when looking.

Thanks a million!
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

They are great cars: we have a '04 that we purchased with 130k. It appears that prices have dropped a fair bit, as I've seen a few on kijiji for well under 10k. There aren't many manual transmission cars out there, so it's hard to be too picky. Ours is a premium package car- we would've preferred a sport package, but the nearest sport+manual trans car that was for sale at the time was in Florida. The first thing that got "fixed" was the shifter - we used the BMW kit that uses a 330d shift lever.
It seems that the rear quarter near the bumper is a spot where rust starts on these, and sometimes the bottom of the doors.

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
E46 Touring is essentially the same as the E46 sedan, follow the same maintenance recommendations and parts replacement schedule as you would with any 325i Sedan, i.e.
- control arm bushings will go about about 80,000Km
- get the mtce record; make sure oil service, inspection I and II (with fuel filter!) schedule was followed
- look for simple things like the BMW hidden flashlight in the glove compartment, is it there? What kind of tires are on the car? No flashlight or cheap no-name tires indicates the owner may not have cared for the car
- change belts and coolant expansion tank proactively, and thermostat, these are known E46 issues
- VANOS seals replacement after about 120,000km. No low end performance without this.
- test the hell out of the automatic transmission, backup then shift to drive. Stop, quickly reverse, stop, then shift to drive again. Observe delays - I needed transmission custom programmed with codes entered per service bulletin.
- test steptronic, all gears up and down

When choosing the Touring, look for the following important facts, I took months to find the right one (CPO at BMW dealer):
Make sure the rear storage pull cover and cargo screen unit comes with the Touring, it is expensive to buy one later.
Look for full size spare and OEM wheel and tool kit under cargo cover!
Make sure there are two keys and test them, including rear hatch release and panic button test.
Drive a couple - there are a few options such as:
5 speed manual with sport packages versus auto/steptronic
Premium Package - I went with this, HK sound, full power/heated seats, cold weather package, etc

As for mods the list goes on to infinity as to what you can do to customize your ride to match your preferences, the usual starting points:
OEM alarm and custom key programming
larger wheels
upgrade suspension and drop
tinting all around
CAI
Upgraded exhaust
Custom Tune (e.g. MarkD tune)
Angel Eyes
Mtech II bumper
M3 strut bar
M3 steering wheel
CF grills, handbrake, shift surround, instrument cluster, etc.
LED lighting, inside and out
clear or smoked corners and sides
Brake rotor or BBK upgrades
etc etc - the sedan parts fit, except suspension, exhaust and LED tail lights, those need Touring part variants.

Good luck!
gnome...

best looking tourer I have ever seen.. th0se are VMR??
compiment the tourer very well...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
gnome
on the roam

Thanks. Yes, VMR V710's, 18 x 8.5" in the front 18 x 9.5" in the rear.
Got them from Simplytire in Toronto, great service there!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: