Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
mmmdddmmm333
1st Gear Newbie

Any good indy shop for smg problems?

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and being new to the smg trans I'm looking for any recommendations on a good indy shop that can diagnose or read codes for my 03 M3 with smg. Lately in the heat it's been displaying the yellow cog on the dash along with the ses light. Can anyone recommend a good indy shop they have dealt with in the GTA that has properly diagnosed their smg issues? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!
mmmdddmmm333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

Hi there, Welcome to the forum. I would strongly recommend Stance Factory. Mike (who will work on your car) has extensive experience with your car and all its systems. You're sure to be in good hands.

- Phone: 647-889-9554 - E-mail: info@stancefactory.com
Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
dbworld4k
Addict

^Couldn't agree more.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Banned

You can let 20 year olds fix your car or let people who have 20 years experience with BMW fix your car.

Its your call, I suggest the latter.

Advanced Knowledge Automotive at 346 Newkirk Road, Richmond Hill
905-883-4BMW

It's run by Trevor Hayes whos a BMW Master Tech with 20 years experience in BMWs.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

What good is 20 years experience if you don't keep up with new technologies? (aka smg, even thought it's 10yr tech, 90% of shops know squat about it as they are only now starting to see them)

I'm not saying anything about the shop you recommended, but most older guys don't know much about newer technologies or even like working with it, so bashing the younger guys who have worked with it and likely fixed more SMG cars isn't really a worthwhile argument...

I'd rather a knowledgeable and experienced younger tech work on an s54, than an old guiser who hasn't even seen one, let alone change the oil on one. (I'm sure some might know there shit, but i'm just making a stupid generalization like you did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
You can let 20 year olds fix your car or let people who have 20 years experience with BMW fix your car.

Its your call, I suggest the latter.

Advanced Knowledge Automotive at 346 Newkirk Road, Richmond Hill
905-883-4BMW

It's run by Trevor Hayes whos a BMW Master Tech with 20 years experience in BMWs.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 07-25-2011 at 09:02 AM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Banned

First of all you're overreacting to a simple joke. Secondly this isnt an old guiser shop.

Trevor Hayes has been a BMW Master Tech working for BMW and just recently opened his own shop. He has more experience working on latest cars then any of the other shops here in GTA. He also has more equipment then other shops to properly diagnose and fix your car.

You just dont know this shop thats why you overreacted.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
First of all you're overreacting to a simple joke.
I see no way how this can be considered a joke, infact I consider it insulting.\

Quote:
I don't care about the shop, I have no need to. I'm focusing on your insult and insinuating comments.
Saying one shop is better than another is stupid, insulting someone because of your perception of their age shows your ignorance.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 07-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

Quote:
Quite the contrary it seems. Likewise, I think your intial comments were unfair and rather tasteless. I do not know the shop you mentioned, and have nothing bad to say about the technician you mentioned or his credentials (or in your case age, resume etc.)

The gentlemen over at Stance Factory are not of the age you mention. On a interesting note, well worthy of consideration, they both own and operate BMW's with the S54 platform in them, and are well versed in all equipment related to this platform. I would love to know that a person servicing my car owns and operates the same or very similar, just a bonus when it comes to experience. Any shop in this case will be subject to the experience that can only naturally apply to < 10 year old technology.

Let's not use tenure as a bar here. If that were the case, would it be fair to say my opinion is better than yours because I have 9 years more experience with it on this BMW forum (now that is how you make a harmless joke).

To the original poster, go by any shops you've been put onto or give them a call to see what impression you get. I surely reitirate that you'll be in good hands at Stance Factory.

Best of luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
mmmdddmmm333
1st Gear Newbie

I did in fact visit stance factory. I showed up without an appointment and was cordially fit in to their schedule. Both Jay and Mike were very courteous, polite and very helpful as they solved my minor issue with the smg. I am sure other shops are very reputible and well suited to meet the needs of our various cars and I appreciate everyone's valued opinions. Thanks to everyone for your help and information. As always our BMW fellowship is obviously dedicated to helping out fellow owners in need.
Cheers
mmmdddmmm333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmdddmmm333 View Post
Both Jay and Mike were very courteous, polite and very helpful
I echo that... and Mike answers any question you have...good work ethic..
glad you got your issue resolved...
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: