Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
boi
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to boi
Buying an 04 E60 SMG or Auto

Hey fellas,

Been awhile since I last posted something on here.

But maybe you can shed some input on the subject.

Looking to get a 04 E60 545i. Just a few questions I have since I've never owned a BMW.

I test drove it and immediately fell in love with the SMG

Gas consumption, since it's a V8 4.4, Is premium gas always necessary for this car?
Is there much difference between the Auto and SMG other than the Manual w/o the clutch?
Is there any high maintenance cost to replacing the clutch, or does it have a clutch like a manual car?

There are few issues with the car, it had condensation on the driver side headlights and the driver side fog light. Is this an issue easily fix? I know this is a common thing with the E60, well just reading stuff online about it.

Are parts expensive brakes, control arms?
Maintenance do you guys a have a shop to recommend on Oil changes and one mechanic told me, instead of you changing oil at 20k, you should do it every 10k?

Such a noob when it comes to Euro cars.
Previous cars I've owned are the IS300 and G35.

Thanks all, any help is greatly appreciated.
boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
zend
1st Gear Newbie

Compared to your G35 parts wont be that much more expensive.

Yes Premium gas is necessary as the car will run rough and get poor mileage. Gas is going to be expensive its a 4.4L but you will get better mileage than some V6 motors on the highways.
You will have to change your oil much sooner than the BMW recommend intervals. i would say between 5-7000 kms for oil changes.

BMWs are costly to maintain, a little more than Infiniti for certain parts and cheaper for others. If you can do work on the car yourself without having to go to the delear or your indie then it wont be that bad.

Use the sponsors on here for advice and service. Maranello BMW, RMP, Bimmersport Automotive, Stance Factory.

These guys know their stuff and will help out.

Cheers

Zend
zend is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: