Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #31
fitter527
hates chrome

for 4k, i can **** it up 80 times. i'm sure i'd get it right at least once.
when i first bought my car,i never thought i would wrenching on my own car.after the first bill from the mechanic,pass me a 10mm.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #32
bart325is
IH8BART

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter527 View Post
I have doors and fenders I can test with. I can't wait to get started.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #33
bart325is
IH8BART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
First off, come check my car out at a meet...I painted it all with Tremclad rattle cans and am in the process of wet sanding and buffing...

As for having it done properly, my advice would be to get it done right and pay the money, or, do as much of it yourself, ie-sand and tape it, then have it towed and sprayed as cheaply as possible. No point paying over $1K for a crappy job, you're better off paying $500 for a crappy job...

The guys that are charging $4K will think that any work done by anyone else but them will look like garbage and try to scare you into thinking you will ruin your car if you go anywhere else, but the fact is, maybe 5-10% of the entire population will actually notice a less expensive paint job, and even then, they'll probably have to be within 10 feet of your car, looking for flaws.

Someone else asked earlier if you are going to put your car in shows? I think that's the question you need to answer. If so, get it done right and get the perfect job and pay a bit more. If not, do it cheaper and spend the money on other parts of the car to make it more fun to drive, because most everyone else will see a shiny car that's all the same colour.

Finally, can I also say that most of the paint and body people I spoke with were extremely negative, arrogant and rude? These guys make engineers seem humble and and approachable. When you try to get a deal, they treat you as though you are an absolute piece of crap, and lord help you if you do anything yourself, they won't even touch your car...I almost had to punch out about 3 of them based on attitude alone. Then again, I'd proabably have an attitude if I was charging people $4K for something that they could do themselves for $100 and have it at least look functional. It's painting a car, not repainting the sistine chapel, for God's sake...Everything they told me that would go wrong if I did it myself didn't happen...thanks for trying to take advantage of someone new by using scare tactics and BS, A$$holes
I looked through your thread and your car looks great in your photos. I'm really excited about doing it myself. Thanks to everyone for your input. I think I will start with the driver side fender which is currently red.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #34
fitter527
hates chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
First off, come check my car out at a meet...I painted it all with Tremclad rattle cans and am in the process of wet sanding and buffing...

As for having it done properly, my advice would be to get it done right and pay the money, or, do as much of it yourself, ie-sand and tape it, then have it towed and sprayed as cheaply as possible. No point paying over $1K for a crappy job, you're better off paying $500 for a crappy job...

The guys that are charging $4K will think that any work done by anyone else but them will look like garbage and try to scare you into thinking you will ruin your car if you go anywhere else, but the fact is, maybe 5-10% of the entire population will actually notice a less expensive paint job, and even then, they'll probably have to be within 10 feet of your car, looking for flaws.

Someone else asked earlier if you are going to put your car in shows? I think that's the question you need to answer. If so, get it done right and get the perfect job and pay a bit more. If not, do it cheaper and spend the money on other parts of the car to make it more fun to drive, because most everyone else will see a shiny car that's all the same colour.

Finally, can I also say that most of the paint and body people I spoke with were extremely negative, arrogant and rude? These guys make engineers seem humble and and approachable. When you try to get a deal, they treat you as though you are an absolute piece of crap, and lord help you if you do anything yourself, they won't even touch your car...I almost had to punch out about 3 of them based on attitude alone. Then again, I'd proabably have an attitude if I was charging people $4K for something that they could do themselves for $100 and have it at least look functional. It's painting a car, not repainting the sistine chapel, for God's sake...Everything they told me that would go wrong if I did it myself didn't happen...thanks for trying to take advantage of someone new by using scare tactics and BS, A$$holes
well said.
im gonna try it next weekend.my car needs paint in the worst way.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #35
adam325i
3rd Gear Member

I painted my car myself. I painted when i was in grade 12. 2 stage paint. And colour change. I paid 370 bucks for supplys. base, clear, prep wash and paper ect. I don't think it was that hard. I got an awesome 10 footer paint job. Just listen to everybody that prep is everything. What ever you can see or feel WILL show up in your paint. Take your time and do an awesome job sanding. And I beleive you can't buy waterbourn paint for rec use. but I know you can get solvent base, using it now. (just came in the garage from painting a friends bumper.) let me know if you have any other questions.
adam325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #36
bart325is
IH8BART

Thanks for everyone's input. I found this old thread (http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1). Picked up a can of Tremclad Gloss Grey and I'm going to test the procedure on the fender that I have. The colour is a little darker than existing but I like grey and it will still match the Pacific Blue interior.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #37
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart325is View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I found this old thread (http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1). Picked up a can of Tremclad Gloss Grey and I'm going to test the procedure on the fender that I have. The colour is a little darker than existing but I like grey and it will still match the Pacific Blue interior.
Great find, I've read a few articles like this before but after reading that thread I think I'm going to do the same!!
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #38
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Let us know how it goes. Also, I would recommend giving it a lot of time to harden before you wet sand it.

From Eyesore to Heat Score
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #39
bart325is
IH8BART

Actually, I painted the fender with the gloss grey and didn't like it. Picked up some Fire Red instead. I sanded off the grey (took a while, paint hardened up pretty much overnight, even on the bare metal) and I'm almost ready to do it in red. The paint really levels out very nicely without orange peel. I was quite surprised.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #40
bart325is
IH8BART

UPDATE. I've finished 6 coats of Tremclad Fire Red on my nice replacement fender. I have to say that I am very happy with the results. I followed the procedure in the link above. Thinned the paint with pure mineral spirits. No measure, just look for consistency of a little thicker than water. I think it was about 50-50 paint and mineral spirits. Rolled it on with a 4" foam roller. No mess (other than the roller). The 3rd and 4th coats were the best. The 5th and 6th coats I had to mix up some more and I don't think I thinned it enough since there was more orange peel.

The pictures below show the bottom part of the fender that has been hand buffed and waxed and the upper part that has just been sanded with 1000 grit and is still showing some orange peel. I'm going out tomorrow to get an orbital buffer. I can buff the leftover orange peel out with hand buffing so I'm sure the electric buffer will do an even better job. I'm hoping to get the old fender off and everything cleaned up so I can install the red fender this weekend.

It's hard to see the shine on the fender but the bottom is as smooth as glass. I will take pictures in the sunlight tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (30.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0637.jpg (36.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #41
VSanj
6th Gear Member

wow looking good!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #42
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Just curious...

Why go the Thremclad route when you can buy single stage urethane? Much better gloss and durability.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #43
bart325is
IH8BART

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
Just curious...

Why go the Thremclad route when you can buy single stage urethane? Much better gloss and durability.
Can I roll it on?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #44
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart325is View Post
Can I roll it on?
Single stage is basically urethane clearcloat with color pigments in it.
E30s along with some early model BMWs probably had single stage. Lots of other cars had it too.
If you choose to go this route, make sure to wear a respirator mask.

Example:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49036

Last edited by zarbat007; 07-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: