Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
blotto649
1st Gear Newbie

Friday, July 8th - Great price for Mosport GP Track lapping!

Johnston Research and Performance are hosting a lapping day at Mosport on Friday, July 8th.

$250 +HST
2 run groups - beginner and advanced
25 minute sessions, rotating all day aside from an hour for lunch - a lot of track time for that price

More details can be found here...
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196291690408892
blotto649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
After todays event, I would highly recommend looking into tracktime with an alternate group. The organizer(s) have NO IDEA on how to run a safe, and controlled environment... and it has really opened my eyes to 'you get what you pay for' even when it comes to tracktime.

In my opinion, JRP lapping days are a step under CSCS events. And I hope that sends a message.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
After todays event, I would highly recommend looking into tracktime with an alternate group. The organizer(s) have NO IDEA on how to run a safe, and controlled environment... and it has really opened my eyes to 'you get what you pay for' even when it comes to tracktime.

In my opinion, JRP lapping days are a step under CSCS events. And I hope that sends a message.
Thanks for the feedback.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
I attended this event. Let's just say I never will again!

Once again, the organizers didn't seem to know what was going on. First we showed up at 8:30 for the drivers meeting to find we had to wait until 10:00 to get on track! The day before I was told on the phone we would be on at 9:00. Then there weren't enough marshalls which caused even more of a delay. I was also told there would be 4 groups running. Nope! We had a beginner group with instructors and one advanced group. So about 10 people in beginner and almost 30 in the advanced group. 70% of the drivers in advanced should of been with an instructor.

Some drivers were strictly dangerous and weren't penalized. I cant even count how many people went off track and just plowed their way back on track in front of me. I had groups of 3-5 cars diving into turns in front of me without me pointing them by. Basically what was happening was a race. I was about to pull off and leave on my second lap. It was that ridiculous.

Someone managed to smash into the wall on the inside of turn 2 and it took an hour to clean up because there wasn't even a tow truck! While passing by, someone in front of me decided to come to a complete stop! Another thing that some people were doing was slowing down to about 50km for their "cool down". That may work at Cayuga, but not at Mosport when you have people doing 160km into blind turns.

When I was heading out to my last session of the day, I was let out and black flagged on my first lap. Why? They shut the track down just to open the gates to let a car out! I didn't pay to sit in the pits. So after complaining, i was told they were going to push it until 5:15. But if you've been to Mosport, you know the track closes at 5:00. Everyone has to be off by 5:00. The organizers were in hot water after that.

In the end I had to learn to deal with dangerous drivers and completely incompetent organizers.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread

Last edited by doogee; 07-10-2011 at 02:31 AM.
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
Monaco_N54
1st Gear Newbie

Wow, I'm glad you guys made these posts. I was at MoSport for the Canada Day long weekend and it was a very well organized event with beginners/intermed/advanced drivers (no issues from what I saw).

Clearly the organizers are very important.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco_N54 View Post
Wow, I'm glad you guys made these posts. I was at MoSport for the Canada Day long weekend and it was a very well organized event with beginners/intermed/advanced drivers (no issues from what I saw).

Clearly the organizers are very important.
Which group were you with?

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
Are Kensai events run the same way.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

The Touge ones are the same thing if not worse.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I went to a Kensai event in 2008... it was alright. At least they have a somewhat proper track etiquette and some seasoned racers running the day (lead instructor of the group is Aaron Povoledo).

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
No, they are run well. But they do attract some idiots. Fortunately the marshals and instructor keeps them STRICTLY in line.

-J

jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Maybe I'm spoiled with the BMW Clubs, but I can't stand these lapping days. I've not been to one that was run well, or that morons weren't in attendance. For most, they should not be hosting/running lapping days. Although I understand the BMW Clubs are performance driving schools, and not lapping days, the event is run slick, and organized. In the end you ARE lapping just with an instructor shot gun and lots of learning. I'm not trying to thread crash here but I get ever frustrated by these unorganized, unsafe run events.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Maybe I'm spoiled with the BMW Clubs, but I can't stand these lapping days. I've not been to one that was run well, or that morons weren't in attendance. For most, they should not be hosting/running lapping days. Although I understand the BMW Clubs are performance driving schools, and not lapping days, the event is run slick, and organized. In the end you ARE lapping just with an instructor shot gun and lots of learning. I'm not trying to thread crash here but I get ever frustrated by these unorganized, unsafe run events.
I'm with you there, but unfortunately you're always going to get morons who do stupid things, the BMW events are no exception. IIRC there's a few instructors who have done more than a few questionable moves (off's) at the BMW ones... though that is much more the exception than the rule (1 incident per year rather than per day, lol). The problem for me and many others I am sure is doing Mosport 3 times a year is just not enough, I need more of that glorious track So I hit the Kensai days as well as 6th gear on occasion. The cost for either is quite reasonable and they are well run. I've heard EA days are great as well but they are double the price.

So personally I've found that 6th gear and Kensai are the best ones (along with the BMW Trillium ones of course ).

-J

jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

The very reason why I dont host any more lapping days(I've used to organize lapping days for about 4~5 yrs up until 'lapping days' became 'cool'. Because some of these if not most are organized for business purpose, they usually grab all the good days esp nowadays. I simply cannot book good days. I gave up. One other reason is I dont want my days to be runined by bad apples. so to simple preserve the good memories, I stopped organizing events.

Lots of ppl from max actually participated in my events, Randy being instructor also BigD used to be good regular participant.

I miss those days lol. I had good run while it lasted.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
luluxiu
1st Gear Newbie

I have not run, or attend the meeting, low energy. For most, they should not be managed / run grinding days. Although I understand the BMW club performance driving school, rather than grinding days, the event is running smooth and organized.
luluxiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: