Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
ng78
1st Gear Newbie

bad fuel leak?

My 1991 318iS has had a smell of fuel for a while, and I've been meaning to take it into a mechanic to get an oil change and that issue looked at. However yesterday when backing out of the garage, the car started making a scraping sound, as if dragging the muffler on the driveway, but nothing was dragging. At that point, fuel started dripping rapidly on the driver's side just ahead of the rear wheel. This continued while the engine was running, and stopped once the engine was shut down.

I'm trying to find a mechanic who is open today who can deal with the issue, but was wondering if anybody had any insight? Perhaps it's the fuel tank, or something else associated with that?

Any input is appreciated!

ng78
ng78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Return fuel line is probably rusted out at the top of the tank. This way, the car still runs but the excess fuel returned to the tank is being pumped on the ground. edit: this usually means you need a new tank.

The scraping sound could be one of the aluminum covers that tend to rust out dragging on the driveshaft.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
ng78
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks everlast - that sounds about right and I figured a new tank would be needed. Nice weekend to have no wheels! lol
ng78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Perhaps not. The return lines and associated t junction are located above the passenger side wheel in the wheel well. On the 318 who knows. Anyways, that is usually covered by a cover plate that usually rusts out. The fuel expansion tank is behind a plastic flap/guard behind and above the rear pass. wheel. once that bolt breaks the flap may rub the wheel. You may find your issue there.

If your tank is that bad that it has broken free of all those bolts and is rubbing the driveshaft you have a real mess on your hands. I don't even think that could happen, given the space and that with the filler tube connected it really can't drop anywhere.

Again the 318 is a wildcard to me for the most part. Look and discover!

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: