Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Calabogie Cup - Shawn's POV in the Gentlemen's Race

For those of you that don't know, the 2nd Annual CMP Cup was this weekend. In the Gentlemen's race, rules were point-by-passing anywhere on the track. We had a 30 min practice & 30 min qualifying on saturday morning, a 45min race saturday afternoon, and then 2 45 minute races on sunday

First let me tip my hat to all the organizers for this event - what a blast it was!

Saturday morning the weather was, well, miserable. It was cold and rainy, and made the practice session pretty hairy for me. I made a few suspension adjustments for the qualifying session hoping to get some more front-end grip on turn-in.

During qualifying, I got out front, but after a few laps, my dad (in his G37) started catching up and holding me. I started feeling the pressure and my lines got sloppier. coming out of 4 left, I had a bit of a wiggle, and that translated into me missing my brake zone before going into the quarry. I got sideways and started drifting towards the edge of the track. I tried correcting but it was just too slick and I ended up dropping the two driver-side wheels off into the grass. As soon as that happened, the car hooked towards the tire wall. I tried to steer a bit, but the grass was basically like ice, and I ended up going nose-first into the wall. Luckily, the damage was only cosmetic (dented fenders, and front grill pushed in a touch) - nothing mechanical at all. I drove the car off into the pits, ending the qualifying session early however still managing to qualify 4th for the first race. After a few more "aero" enhancements, the car was good to go .

Saturday afternoon was the first race – I got out front early and it was smooth sailing after that. There was an Ariel Atom there that was catching up to me, but in the second last lap, he slid off and hit a wall (he was fine). Sunday morning I started in pole position again, and was able to hold it to the end as well. Mr. Ariel Atom brought his supercharged Lotus Elise out for Sunday, and he worked his way up the pack to finish 4th - with his fastest lap being 2/10s better than mine. Unfortunately during that race I flat-spotted one of my starspecs, so I had to switch to old R888s that had been heat-cycled out for the third race.

The last race was the one that counted, and they inverted the top 6 (out of 18) to make it more challenging. So the run order was:

1. Porsche Cayman
2. 1991 Ford Mustang (race prepped)
3. Lotus Elise SC
4. 2000ish Mustang GT
5. Audi R8
6. Me!

I passed the Audi & Mustang GT within the first few laps, and then caught up to the top 3. I don't know if the Porsche just wasn't looking or ignoring us, but he was not letting anyone by, even after being blue-flagged several times. Finally, the 91 Mustang was able to get the Porsche on the inside of temptation (not sure if there was a point-by or not). In the next lap (or 2) at temptation again, the lotus got hung up behind the Porsche on the inside so I took the outside of that same corner, but since the lotus had to brake hard, I ended up side-by-side with him going up the hill at 9a. I'm not sure if I got the pass signal, but at that point I felt it would be safer to stay there than to try and back off and take the pass anyways for second place. A bit later, the Porsche FINALLY decided to point us by, so the lotus and I went for it. We caught up to the 91 mustang and passed it shortly after. The lotus and I were neck-in-neck for several laps after that - I couldn’t pull away, but he couldn’t get close enough (for long enough) for me to warrant letting him by. Finally, I got blue flagged and I pointed him by. Once he got by, I stuck with him for a bit, but my tires started falling off more and more and I started losing him slowly.

Then we got a red flag (proper procedure was to slow down and go into the pits - as per the driver's meeting). The lotus stopped on track, and I stopped beside him to tell him to go back to the pits, but he didn’t, so I just kept going. On the restart, they put me first, so I waved at the lotus to tell him to go in front. He said that he’d stay behind, but that if he got close, to let him by. Well I found out just before the re-start that we were only going to have a pace lap, and then one “hot” lap. In the hot lap, the lotus stayed with me pretty well, but I would build a gap in some places, and lose it in others. I never saw a blue flag, so I kept my lead for the third race as well

This was absolutely an AMAZING weekend. Congrats to all - everyone did super well, and despite the few insidents, no one got hurt, and there wasn't much damage to any cars.

Videos will be up soon (including the crash)
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

AWESOME Shawn, congrats on all the success!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
So its a time attack that you finish by lap time or an actual grid position is the finishing order?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Actual grid position - same as GT racing other than the point-by pass rule. The "British Touring Car" inverted start made it a challenge for the last race though!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Video from qualifying - race video should be up by this evening:

I know I should have taken my hands off the wheel before I hit - I realized just as I was going in that I hadn't but it was too late... luckily it was a soft impact

Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
everlast

Wow, that got my heart racing. Glad you, the passenger and the car were relatively ok!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Ya you can see that all started with the exit to 4left - I got a wiggle, thought about it too long, then missed my brake zone and locked it up.

All good though - that's why I got the harnesses, the seats, and the HANS. I was never scared for me or Jamie, just for the car. Those tires wall are awesome though - the impact didn't feel much worse than a really hard brake in the dry

Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Aero
2nd Gear Member

Shawn did a great job to lose as much speed as possible before going completely off track. As he said, we were going slow enough that it wasn't really a question of whether or not we would be hurt, but how much damage would be done to the car.

Calabogie tire walls are awesome! All the more reason to race/lap at safe facilities.

My Youtube Channel
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
sb_600
5th Gear Member

I double checked the video - it looks like i hit the wall doing 50km/h!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
msix
2nd Gear Member

Nice job with the driving in the wet Shawn ... up to the crash.

It looks to me that on the second downshift the car broke loose, maybe not enough throttle blip, the rear wheel slowed down too much when you let the clutch out and the slide started.
If the rear wheels are not moving at the speed you are traveling because of gear change, it is very difficult to catch. Once the slide starts, the wheels just dont get up to the propper speed in slippery conditions and off you go.

Glad you both are okay.

Congratulation on the wins ... next year I will be there for sure.

85 325es
CASC-OR Regional Auto-X Series 2009 and 2010 1st place in D/Mod
Ontario Time Attack Series 2011 1st place in SGT2
msix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Thanks Klaus!

You're right - I had too much speed and didn't blip the throttle enough on the second downshift. As soon as i hit the grass you can see my left foot get on the clutch and my right try to pump the brakes - to no avail!

I was supposed to have the race video up by now, but after 12 hours of uploading (only 2 left to go), we lost power

Hopefully i'll have it by tonight!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
everlast

I had noticed that your other off a few weeks back involved loosing rear traction as well from a mismatched downshift. But they're still way better than my downshifts, so I kept my mouth shut.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
sb_600
5th Gear Member

What happened with that one was I missed the gate on the downshift and it went into neutral instead of third... I was expecting some engine braking and it didn't happen.

either way, it was sloppy downshifting... something to work on

Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Panerai
2nd Gear Member

Nice work Shawn! My buddy put his Atom into the wall on Sat, and he brought out his Elise SC for Sunday! he said you were a very good driver.
1991 300ZX TT GT28RS
Panerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Thanks!

Yeah Anthony and I had fun for sure - especially in the 3rd race. I can't wait for a re-match

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: