Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Where to buy Cheap supplies/polisher?

I want to start doing my own polishing instead of paying every year.

I want to buy a porter polisher, nothing super fancy but that does the job and removes the swirls. Cost is a factor.
I also need to start reading more and learning about the different compounds to use and the different pads, but one step at a time I guess.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
TrueGem
2nd Gear Member

Polishing

If your looking for a machine for polishing make sure you pick a machine that has variable speeds, especial if your going to venture into doing it your self. Ones with one speed, you will find yourself burning through the paint very quick since it will be your first time.

I recommend getting a hood or door panel from a scrap yard to play around with and get use to the machine.

Hope that helps you, and if you ever want someone to fix and parts your unable to correct pm, email or call me

Peter
True Gem Mobile Automotive Detailing
Email: info@truegemdetailing.com
Phone: 416.807.3559
TrueGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Thank you for the tip. I have a whole car I can risk experimenting on. My volvo has over 300K on it and the paint has seen better days.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
Old 06-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

You get what you pay for. Makita and Milwakee are both variable..but you gots to know whatcha doin when using those machines or you will do bad to the paint..lol.

there is skill, product, and art to polishing paint. product is easy, skill needs development and the art is feel..

oh and if you try it and mess it up..you are going to pay a premium for someone else to correct your mistake and the do it right.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
You get what you pay for. Makita and Milwakee are both variable..but you gots to know whatcha doin when using those machines or you will do bad to the paint..lol.
It's easy, it just takes common sense and patients.No one needs a Makita or Milwakee unless they are a pro, for the 4-5 times a year it will get used a cheap one will do the job.

Terry, don't bother with anything random orbit. There are two that i recommend to start off with.

This one can be found at crappy tire. Wait for a sale, i've seen them for 50% off the $99.99 it sells for.

or one of these from Princess Auto has this for $89.99 and is variable whereas the CT one is 2 speed:

They are cheap and heavy, but will get the job done. All you need is some good pads, then start trying out different types of polishes. The polishes are less important as you start out as anything will be an improvement when you are using a proper high speed buffer.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Thanks for the tip Trev, I've gone to CT and never seen any of these tools in their detailing section, they only have the buffers for like 40$, maybe I am looking in the wrong section. I will go and ask. Maybe once I get my products I can come and pick your brain?

Toys
Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Maybe once I get my products I can come and pick your brain?
Yea when you pick one up swing by and ill teach you how to use it. (Not that i'm a pro or anything)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Terry,

I have the one posted above, i used it to polish my e36, came out amazing. I think its simoniz. I've used porters and makita's before, and although they are marginally better, i'd never spend the money on it. The simoniz has speeds so fast you'll destroy your paint in a second, so you definately dont need more power.

I would very strongly recommend using 3M products, particularly if you're a beginner. Napa sells a complete set of compounds (soft/med/cut) and pads (same set). I paid about 100$ for the polisher, 230$ for the polishng pads/compound/adapters and 10-15$ for the wet sand paper (my car had tons of peel so it needed sanding first).

Its absolutely not hard to do yourself. I got VERY cocky with it near the end and never burned the paint. Always remember a cutting agent is going to cut VERY quickly, especially with a cutting pad, unless your paint is ****ed i'd skip the cut and go straight to medium and then soft.

I'm no pro but i'll help how i can. Also, you can only re-use pads if you've used them on two stage paint, if you polish urethane paint that pad will only be ever good to polish that one car (some of the paint ends up in the pads, you should wash them after every use regardless but you'll never get it all out).

Good luck. Flat black (gloss) paint looks awesome.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
mystic325xi
1st Gear Newbie

porter cable 7424 is an amazing machine, top that off with some OC pads and your set.
The pc is great and pretty hard to **** up your paint with, check out some of the deals at www.eshine.ca thats where I found the best deals for me. Hope it helps
mystic325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
slowdubbin68
1st Gear Newbie

detailersdomain.com
slowdubbin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Thangs guys for the info.
I have used the 3M stuff int he past and it is amazing.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
This is the polisher we are talking about? Correct. I'll go and see if it is on sale

My paint isn't terrible, last year I paid to have the whole car polished and the guy removed all the swirls and fine scratches, the Jet Black looked unbelievable, I had compliments from everyone.

After the winter and the 2-3 car washes a week, the paint has again developed a lot of swirls and finer scratches that I want gone.

I have the car going in for a thorough detail/clean and wax(got a sick deal through a deals website), but the guy wants a lot of extra $$$ to polish it which i can spend on getting the equipment and then I have the option to do my Jag which also will benefit from it.

Toys
Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
that's the one i have.

How are you washing it in the winter? remember you have a limited amount of clearcoat than can be polished away before you need a respray.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I went to CT to inquire about the Simoniz polisher, I just missed the 50% off by 2 weeks so I am waiting for it to come up again in about a month, according to the parts guy.

I ran it through the Simoniz washes at Petro Canada twice a week. I won't be winter driving it this year so I am happy about that

Toys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: