Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
Tutankhamon
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississiauga
Posts: 109
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
The three oils mentioned are clearly the best and most easily attainable oils for our cars.

My 330 burns oil no matter what which is normal, however I've always been looking to see which oil will burn the least.

Any 0w oil seems to burn more on my car.

Currently running some 5w40, what are people's thoughts on the "specifically formulated for BMW and Mercedes" Castrol 5w40?
__________________
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
328iInt.o
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
The three oils mentioned are clearly the best and most easily attainable oils for our cars.

My 330 burns oil no matter what which is normal, however I've always been looking to see which oil will burn the least.

Any 0w oil seems to burn more on my car.

Currently running some 5w40, what are people's thoughts on the "specifically formulated for BMW and Mercedes" Castrol 5w40?
Use TOTAL 5w40. LL-01 approved and easially obtainable.

I used it in my car up until Mike at marenello gave us the deal on oem 5w30. No problems, no sludge. Changed every 10,000km.
328iInt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
new member
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GTA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
My 330 burns oil no matter what which is normal,
Oil burning is not normal. You need to find the cause and fix it.

Engines are NOT designed to burn oil .
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #19
V8specialist
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malton
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
Oil burning is not normal. You need to find the cause and fix it.

Engines are NOT designed to burn oil .
Its from someone using a zero weight oil on the car.
And for the person sayin I'm talking out of my ass, go read your owners manual some more. Please educate yourself before making such comments.
If BMW is so customer oriented, why is it as soon as the warranty expires all your service intervals change? Maybe because that aren't payingfor the service anymore? Lol
Some people on Here give me a good laugh in the morning!
V8specialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
pawcio
6th Gear Member
 
pawcio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
Oil burning is not normal. You need to find the cause and fix it.

Engines are NOT designed to burn oil .
I'm sure in a perfect world they wouldn't but for example most turbo cars burn more oil than your regular naturally aspirated engine counterparts. I know for a fact that even brand new VW GTIs are notorious for burning oil & then obviously the older any engine gets its likely to burn more oil.

I don't think it should be a cause for concern unless you're refilling your reservoir several times between oil changes. I think with any of my cars I only needed to add oil to them twice between oil changes and that was usually after winter driving, which can also increase oil consumption as the engine runs colder longer.
__________________
__

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
new member
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GTA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8specialist View Post
Its from someone using a zero weight oil on the car.
And for the person sayin I'm talking out of my ass, go read your owners manual some more. Please educate yourself before making such comments.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Whats your point?

Maybe you should educate yourself, lol.

Castrol 0w30 is a much heavier oil then the OEM 5w30 just so you know. Go study oils and oil weights before you come back.

Damn noobs.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
4doors
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8specialist View Post
If BMW is so customer oriented, why is it as soon as the warranty expires all your service intervals change? Maybe because that aren't paying for the service anymore?
Isn't it because the car is older?

BMW pay? No, no. You pay. You always pay. All up front, over 36 months, balloon payment at the end, etc. You the one doing the paying. BMW is in business to make money.
4doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
arsevader
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8specialist View Post
Its from someone using a zero weight oil on the car.
And for the person sayin I'm talking out of my ass, go read your owners manual some more. Please educate yourself before making such comments.
If BMW is so customer oriented, why is it as soon as the warranty expires all your service intervals change? Maybe because that aren't payingfor the service anymore? Lol
Some people on Here give me a good laugh in the morning!
My comment was about your oil choice not your oil change interval.

And as mentioned you should check your own manual before making an ass of yourself. Plus these oils wouldn't be considered 0 weight oils anyway they'd be 30 and 40 weight oils as that is the weight when up to operating temp.

I've had 2 BMWs last over 500,000kms without rebuilds so I think I know a bit about the subject.

Do whatever you want though if you think you know best, I couldn't care less. I'll continue using my Castrol 0W30.

If you really want to learn something about the subject rather than the 1 million useless oil threads on BMW sites visit http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.
__________________
'85 325e
'90 325i
'02 325it
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #24
4doors
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader View Post

I'll continue using my Castrol 0W30.
That's what I use now. Great stuff. Like it a bit better than my other favorite Mobil 0W40. Both are BMW LL-01 approved.

I wonder if a multi-billion dollar corporation like Mobil knows anything about oil? I guess they won a lottery and got 0W40 as LL-01 approved

It's probably tractor grease and Vaseline in a bottle. It's on SALE too!
4doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
arsevader
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 697
Canadian Tire has the Castrol on sale today for ~$7 a bottle. Just went and stocked up.
__________________
'85 325e
'90 325i
'02 325it
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
V8specialist
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malton
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Whats your point?

Maybe you should educate yourself, lol.

Castrol 0w30 is a much heavier oil then the OEM 5w30 just so you know. Go study oils and oil weights before you come back.

Damn noobs.
You are totally correct, I must no nothing about anything because I don't post on every single thread to build my post count up.
If everything on the Internet was true , the OP wouldn't need to ask which oil to use.
You should use 0w30 on a nice hot lapping day. But I'm sure you wound run a heavier oil for THAT Application..
This noob will listen to bob the oil guy. He clearly knows his stuff...lol
Please explain how a 0w30 is heavier than 5w30? Enlighten me
V8specialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #27
MadLow
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toroto
Posts: 15
every mechanic i've talked to either the dealer or independent shop says that the 330ci burns oil and its normal....so i'm gonna take their word for it lol

i use oem 5w30
MadLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #28
JINT
5th Gear Member
 
JINT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jewtown
Posts: 1,141
If u have to add 1L every 5K, your M54 burns more than normally. I'm sure you are not going to rebuild your motor, so i'll give you the oils that burn the least with M54.

Lubro Moly 5w40
Motul 5w40
Amsoil 5w40

Those 3 will burn the least. Mobil 1 and Castrol are donkey p!ss thin but they are great when you have a fresh motor.
__________________
1990 M5 Euro
You wash your car like it was your firstborn child, you tend to its needs like it was your own body, you protect it like it's your family, then you drive it like you stole it
JINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.