Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
chia
Keepin' It Fake.

New Wheels + Tires = Vibration

Hey guys,

I picked up 18" RS-GT replicas for my e36 M3. I've got Hankook V12's 225/40/18 all around.

The small wheels are much different than the stock set up. It feels less stable but it makes turning more agile as a DD. Something I'm willing to live with.

However, on my drive home, there is significant vibrating at the steering wheel and seat at ~100km/h. It didn't feel right, and it was much more uncomfortable then you'd expect just from upgrading to 18" wheels. The car also pulls a bit to the left now.

After a bit of research, they probably either didn't balance the wheels properly or the rims are bent (doubtful).

Called the guys up, and they said it's probably unbalanced - I'm going back there this week, but are there any other issues I should keep in mind?

When I'm cornering at that speed on the highway, the vibrations go away. This should be a clue to something specific.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
E36is
'OldSchool..'

get it rebalanced first (cheapest) could be that the weights on the rim(s) have came off. if not, then could be tie rods or bushings. I would ask them to check if rim is true when they spin it.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^rommel,

tie rods are a good guess, but if it didn't happen with his old rim/tire setup then that's probably not it.

Have them spun up and balanced, checked for bends, and do an alignment.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I put my money on slightly unbalanced wheels and tired front control arm bushings.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
chia
Keepin' It Fake.

I just got back from the place today. The re-balance helped a lot, took it for a test drive and it felt better, but not perfect. At ~100km/h there is minor vibrating (sometimes) at the steering wheel, and at the foot well rest.

I went back to the shop and took one of the guys with me for a drive, and it obviously didn't occur. He said that there's ~1oz off balance - is this acceptable?

To add to this, on my drive home, I noticed that there's an increase in shaking when I brake at highway speeds.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
blk3
4th Gear Member

maybe you need front control arm bushings. with the larger rubber it puts more stress on the suspension and if you have a couple of bushings with minor play it will be amplified with larger rubber
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
blk3
4th Gear Member

oh and 1 ounce is quite a bit. a 1/4 ounce you can let go
Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
chia
Keepin' It Fake.

You were all correct.

I took it to a tire shop here that I knew had a new and high quality balancing machine.

The first time they balanced it must have been really off. And the second time they just counter-balanced the weights as opposed to re-balancing them.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
crxgsr
BMW

Also, if you feel vibration while braking, it's your rotors that need replacing.

and the bit of pulling could be caused by uneven tire pressure between the left side and the right side tires.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: