Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
s54 maintenance questions

This seems to get more traffic than the Z section so i'll post here.

I'm doing some maintenance to my s54. Just did a retardedly expensive oil change, ordered a vanos oil filter, spark plugs. I'll probably check the valves, but unless they're way off (or too tight), i'll wait for the car to be at RMP at the end of summer for that work.

Does anyone know how to identify if an s54 has been replaced? The engine has some features that make me think it could've been replaced (all newer ignition coil, for one). Could be that the coils were just changed, but i'm curious if anyone knows where the vin tags for the motor are.

I'm going to send in some oil for analysis. Which oil should i send in? The stuff i just took out of my car? (mileage unkown?) The new 10w60? (has less than 100km on it). If the oil shows no lead in it, am i in the clear for rod bearing issues? I'm still on the fence on if i should (presuming there's not lead in the oil) leave it, or change the bearings anyway and bump the redline.

I also found out my car had a complete R&R trans from kiscoty bmw in NJ 21K miles ago (in 2008), so that's one less thing to worry about.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure about where to find the VIN, but I'd start with a google search first.

As for the rest, the coils going bad is very common on the S54 because of the heat they put out so it wouldn't be uncommon for someone to replace all of them as preventative maintenance...or they had a missfire and just did them all instead of narrowing down which one was bad.

Once you do find the VIN number, a dealer will be able to tell you weather the bearing recall was done or not. If you are sending some oil in for analysis, I'd send the old oil.

Last edited by Ramps; 06-06-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Thanks, i'll probably send both the old and new oil. The dealer would only be able to tell you if the S54 was replaced under warranty (dealers dont share records of maintenance, repairs, etc after warranty has expired). If it was done at an independant shop, the vin lookup also wouldn't show anything.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
This seems to get more traffic than the Z section so i'll post here.

I'm doing some maintenance to my s54. Just did a retardedly expensive oil change, ordered a vanos oil filter, spark plugs. I'll probably check the valves, but unless they're way off (or too tight), i'll wait for the car to be at RMP at the end of summer for that work.

Does anyone know how to identify if an s54 has been replaced? The engine has some features that make me think it could've been replaced (all newer ignition coil, for one). Could be that the coils were just changed, but i'm curious if anyone knows where the vin tags for the motor are.

I'm going to send in some oil for analysis. Which oil should i send in? The stuff i just took out of my car? (mileage unkown?) The new 10w60? (has less than 100km on it). If the oil shows no lead in it, am i in the clear for rod bearing issues? I'm still on the fence on if i should (presuming there's not lead in the oil) leave it, or change the bearings anyway and bump the redline.

I also found out my car had a complete R&R trans from kiscoty bmw in NJ 21K miles ago (in 2008), so that's one less thing to worry about.
To start up, this forum is DEAD for cars less then 20 years old, let alone M cars. Thought you might want to know this.

S54s had an ignition coils recall, this is why your coils might've been changed.

What makes you think your engine was replaced, apart from ignition coils? Only way to tell is check the VIN of your car then find the serial number on the block , call BMW and ask if they put this engine in your car from factory.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Hi, new member. Not to be a dick, but i've been a member here for the better part of 7 years, and have nearly 16K posts. I'm pretty sure i can figure out what this forum is about.

Was that recall applied to M roadsters? I thought that was a technical service bulletin, not a recall.

Mostly just because the engine looks newish, even the valvetrain doesn't appear to have the wear i'd assume it would have after 125K miles.

I doubt bmw didn't stamp a serial number, a production number or a date on s54 blocks. This car is 10 years old now, it could've had its engine replaced outside of the dealer. Like i explained in my previous post, the dealer records would only exist for repairs completed under warranty. Non-warranty repairs done by a dealer would not be available through the national service directory (you'd have to contact the dealer the work was done at directly. I know a few dealers this car was serviced at, but dont know if i'll start hounding each one for maintenance records)

Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
Banned

Not to be a dick , but I couldnt care less how long you been here.

Ignition coils recall applied to all cars equipped with S54B32 motors. E36/7/8 were exempt from rod bearing recal for some reason. Dont ask why, I dont know.

How many other valve trains have you seen before this one , that makes you think it looks good?

I havent said a word about a dealer, or any kind of service. You muct not understand me correct. Call BMW themself and ask if the motor that you have now in your car was in fact the one that was there when the car left the factory . Give them the VIN of your car and the serial number on your block. Simple.

Point of my post was referring to the fact that majority of this board drives E30s and E36s. Barely anyone drives anything newer than an e36/8.

Why not ask a board that has more then 3 view a day to get better responses and more information related to your question.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
damameke
6th Gear Member

try asking in Z3 bimmerforum and bimmerfest. you might have already done so..
you definitely will get more feedback to your question...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: