Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "willing to spend money on the car like any enthusiast should". I'm expecting the put at least 1-2K per year into the car for regular maintenance and upkeep, which seems to be a minimum expected carrying cost of an E46 if I've read previous threads correctly.
That's perfectly fine. It's just that I've seen many cases where someone buys the car, loves it, and then when it comes to doing some maintenance they get a quote from someone and turn and run for the hills. I'm not saying the prices are that outrageous, but you can't expect them to be peanuts. It may be a 10+ year old car, but they are still premium cars and should be treated that way. Cutting corners isn't the way to go with these cars.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
Banned

Some of the questions I got were:

-WTF man, a BMW, seriously ? my civic can destroy your car.

Me: LOL

-Must be a millionaire if you drive this car. I was asked at a job interview.

Me: do you have any idea how much it costs? after telling him how much it cost, we both LOLd and I got the job.

WTF? you bought another one, didnt life teach you that BMWs are pieces of sh!t, and you should've bought a Ford like I just did ?

Me: Nothing happened to my old one, it was passed to a new owner. I love BMWs so much that I need something different to try, but stay in BMW family. lol at ford.

-WTF? another BMW? did your old one crap out and you bought a never one?

Me:No, nothing was wrong with it, I just love them so much I needed a new one.

Some people will never understand BMWs, like my supervisor for example. He keeps telling me that a Ford Fiesta is better then any car or the road and you simply can not change his mind. I tried, he's an idiot.

OP, if you drive 10k a year, you wont have to worry about an oil change for a while. If you use correct oil and filter you can go for up to 24k kms on a single oil change if car's driven moderately. I usually change my oil every 15k kms, WELL before it needs to be changed , but its due to teh fact that I drive the balls out of it. Studies have proven that CORRECT oil maintains all its characteristics even after 24k kms, so please dont listen to others who tel you to change oil every 5k, they're retards.

Maintenance records are your friend when buying an old car, regardless if its an E30 , E36 or E46. If the car was taken care of it'll be reliable and will last long.

Last edited by new member; 05-18-2011 at 09:31 PM.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #18
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

I can say many things, but i think you already made the choice, and its clear!
The best thing i can tell you is TRY it! Get one, if you are not happy, sell it and get something else. In the worst case you loose some $$$, same as you would on another car (most likely less!). BMW's are not the best cars, but for so many people they are irreplacable...If you dont try it, you will never know...and will regret it untill you do.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #19
motion
Hell Spawn

comming from both sides of the fences here is the specs i can give you...and this is based on everyday servicing cars in an out (approx, 15 cars a day)....

german cars in general require much more maintenance....how this is translated varies...
japanese cars tend to be much easier on the maintenance end....again how this is translated varies aswell....

to give you an example...

we see honda's comming in everyday just like we see bmw's etc...difference is the honda/toyota comes in for lube change, tune up or a major service ie timing belt waterpump...the avarage oil change on the jap's are around 30 bucks inclusive of all materials (filter, nut, washer and oil with service)...tuneups would be around 3-400 dollars (plugs, wires, caps, rotors, pcv, filters etc...), timing belt jobs around 500 bucks (timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, seals).....

on the other hand the german cars most of the time come in for electrial issues (sensors, switches, controls, etc...) now the guys at the shop have tons of experience with these cars and we tend to catch the problem really quickly and have the customer on the road the same day providing the parts are available but thats where it gets kinda tricky...depending on the car sometimes parts take a few days up to a few weeks to get in and that means repeated walk in's to the shop to perform the same service, some parts are dealer only unless your willing to buy it used from a wrecker or parts place for an outragous price cuz they are not selling the piece by itself but the entire panel with it etc.....

now you can choose what you wanna drive but from my experience if money is not an issue i would stay with the germans but if money does have a fair share in it then go with the japs. some examples:

oil change honda = 30 bucks
oil change bmw = 120
front pads and rotors honda = 120 oem (ballpark)
pads and rotors plus sensor bmw = 360 oem (ballpark)

if we where to compare a civic to a 320i for example for 1 year that both are in clean condition without any issues as a running cost
the only things that you pretty much need to do is oil change on the civic on a 320 on the other hand i can tell you that you will be making a few trips to the service shop on random issues (nothing major...its always stupid little things) but they can easily rake up the bill if your mechanically inclined.
motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #20
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
SIR consider this. If you don't do your own wrenching, there would be a few points in an e30's life that would cause some serious pocket damage. I've had more than a few people come up to me and say "I love that car I used to have one... it became too expensive... etc etc etc..." If you take it to the dealer for every filter change, you better have a good job.
thats what i said...

Quote:

And about value... well just because a hyundai 'put model here' is more expensive in dollars than my 24 year old e30... does not mean for one second that it is better or more valuable as a vehicle to me. It serves the same purpose for less. The fact that someone spends 20+K on a modern crap can on wheels doesn't bother me at all, in fact it makes me smile, I love going further for cheaper; within a splash of old car class that is the e30.
I never said their more expensive cars were better. I was just referring to the automatic "omg you drive a bmw you must be rich" types..as Im in my 13 yr old car which cost a lot less than what *insert newer car here* they drive.

From many of my non car friends I may be "preventatively" wrenching on my car from time to time but overall I spend less on transportation than most of them do. Largely because I do my own work and they dont, but also cause I dont have a $600/month car payment.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 AM   #21
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

and theres no comparison between say a civic operating cost and a 3 series. the civic wins hands down.

doesnt mean the civic is no fun etc blah blah blah. but from an engineering point of view...the japs take reliability to a whole new level(and thats not to mean these cars arent reliable because if cared for they are). the design consideration for bushings etc are just crazy.
sure bmws handle well and have pretty decent suspesnion geometry for performance...but they are hard on bushings. plan and simple, where the japs take that kind of design to a whole new level and bushings last eons. and no thats not because they dont handle well because they do.(not the point of this thread anyways)
You dont have sheet metal problems on jap cars etc.

this is a fav quote of mine
Quote:
he who does not have deep pockets or mechanical reasoning should not own old german sports car
and it really is bang on.
If I couldnt wrench myself no way id own one of these. Id have to pay through the nose in labour.

parts pricing itself is pretty comparable. You just have to do things more often and preventative.

doesnt mean these cars are ticking time bombs(though depending on age and shape that could be the case)

If you buy one I highly suggest hooking up with a car buddy and getting him to show some ropes on basic maintenance so you can save a few dollars by doing the work youurself. Instead of watching silly sitcoms all night one day, do some work on your car instead.

E46 is getting up there in age these days and they definitely need work. Preventative or otherwise.

heres a checklist of a few things to watch out for when looking to buy(definitely get a ppi at rmp or something)

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?...d=25&Itemid=55

If you want to buy a bmw and be completely mindless like you own a corolla or something, youll get bent over hard.

Last edited by SiR; 05-19-2011 at 03:24 AM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #22
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

I wouldnt trust bmws oil change intervals either. way to long. been proven many times on bobistheoilguy.
Ive even gotten my own oil tested. I change it about halfway through the dash oil indicators life and then at the end.

Last edited by SiR; 05-19-2011 at 03:31 AM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #23
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
I can say many things, but i think you already made the choice, and its clear!
The best thing i can tell you is TRY it! Get one, if you are not happy, sell it and get something else. In the worst case you loose some $$$, same as you would on another car (most likely less!). BMW's are not the best cars, but for so many people they are irreplacable...If you dont try it, you will never know...and will regret it untill you do.
best advice
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #24
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I've been a car enthusiast since I could speak.
I fell in love with BMW's while growing up, my dad's bosses/friends drove many of them.
If I wasn't sure I loved BMW's, it the became clear at 99 Intl Auto show, when a guy working the booth allowed me to sit in the all new M5 which was on a podium. I was like 12.
I started my driving career with a 1984 533i. If I wasn't a bug before, it certainly became one.
From there on, I've driven/owned a platoon of Japanese and European cars a few of which were BMW's.
From my personal experience, Nothing comes close to the feedback, feel and look of a BMW.
Everyday, I see a car from different brands that I think to myself looks great, or is a very nice car, but immediately after I see a comparable BMW drive by and it immediately puts a smile on my face.

To me, every penny that I spend on maintenance or improvement to my car(s) is worth it because it provides me pleasure and happiness and puts a smile on my face.

That doesn't mean BMW is the right car for you, or that you need to own a higher model (which equals higher costs) BMW. Buy what you trully like (you spend a lot of time behind the wheel) and what you feel comfortible maintaining.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #25
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

i've been getting nothing but slack for my E90.. eye rolls, wtf's and the like.. but at the end of the day.. you bought the car for yourself and not for someone else.. most people just get jealous and want your car to break down so that it proves their point.. Smitty and Sski are right.. its a hobby we all indulge.. and its not as bad as non-owners make it out to be........ welcome to the club!
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
mousecrab
2nd Gear Member

I've had way more problems with my Toyota and Lexus than BMW.
Oil changes and brake services do cost more but at the same time last longer.
At the end of the day it likely cost an extra hundred or so in a year. Just me but I'd rather use that extra money on a bimmer than say dinning or movies.
mousecrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

Then ONLY response I ever get when someone...anyone, asks me what I drive and I tell them a bmw..."Oh a BMW...(Slight rolling of the eyes followed by a " here we go" barely noticeable facial expression, like they're trying to hide the fact that they automatically think that I think I'm better than them in every facet if life because I drive a bimmer...grow the f@*k up...
vic325ci is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: