Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

Front Caliper

A couple of days ago my front end started shaking a bit..(and I'd just recently installed new Conti DWS tires and a dealer alignment). Then I could smell a burning odour. Looking at my driver's side front wheel, I see its caked in brake dust. Now I'm assuming I have a stuck caliper. Brakes (pads) were done about 5kms back. Is a stuck caliper a simple fix ?? What am I looking as far as mechanicals are ?

Thanks
bigcletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
radi0activem
3rd Gear Member

Probably a stuck caliper. brakes are one of the easiest things to work on. Changing out a caliper would take around an hour including bleeding it again.

Really easy job.
radi0activem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

But can the existing caliper be "un-stuck" ??
Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcletus View Post
But can the existing caliper be "un-stuck" ??
Yes you can, if the condition is not too bad. I recomend doing this as a temporary remedy.

You start by removing the caliper from the mount, if you don't know how-to do this, stop and take it to a mechanic. Have a helper slowly step on the brake pedal to push the piston out just far enough out so the dust boot is almost fully (but not quite) extended. You can then use a pick or small flat screw driver to gently lift/work the boot out of the grove that it is captured in (carefull not to tear the boot). Once released you will then be able to see the rust build up under the boot that prevents the piston from moving freely, you can use brake fluid and some paper towels to clean off as much rust as you can, do NOT use any tools that will scratch or damage the piston surface or the boot, I use an expensive popsicle stick. After cleaning the rust you can use a C-clamp to slowly push the piston back in, the boot should fall in to the groove as the piston slides back into the caliper body. Remount the caliper and pads, pump the brakes a few times to get a firm brake pedal, install wheel and take it for test drive, things should be alot better, if not you will have to replace the caliper or rebuild it.

I recall someone on here recommending Midland Calipers in Scarborough for rebuilt calipers,...props to the guy who recommended them. I sent a few friends with non BMWs there and they are happy with the service and product. They sell hard to find boots and hardware seperately as well.

Last edited by MLue1; 05-26-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Adding final comment
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

There's a local guy with a new set of rotors, slightly used calipers, and pretty new pads. All of this, and he's installing them for me, for $200. Sold. lol
Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
There's a local guy with a new set of rotors, slightly used calipers, and pretty new pads. All of this, and he's installing them for me, for $200. Sold. lol
that is good price
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
agentM
Detailer, tint, Chipguard

Quote:
A couple of days ago my front end started shaking a bit..(and I'd just recently installed new Conti DWS tires and a dealer alignment). Then I could smell a burning odour. Looking at my driver's side front wheel, I see its caked in brake dust. Now I'm assuming I have a stuck caliper. Brakes (pads) were done about 5kms back. Is a stuck caliper a simple fix ?? What am I looking as far as mechanicals are ?

Thanks
Call this guys Trevor at Advance knowledge Auto (416) 435-1277. He use to be a foreman at BMW. Great price and work. Tell him Gary sent you and he'll take care of you.
agentM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: