Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Anyone using aftermarket Catalytic Converters

Is anyone here using any aftermarket catalytic converters on their E39 540i

I read up some guys running Magnaflow high flow cats on bimmerforums.com, but im not sure if its gonna pass emissions test for us here in canada. They are actually improving performance.

Im experiencing a missfire at cylinder 4 only when car is given a pedal to the floor (High rpms and higher speed). Check engine starts to flash a few times and then remains on. Once i turn the engine off and them back on everything runs smooth. I swapped out the ignition coil at RMP however the symptom is back, rulling out the faulty coil.

Reading up a bit on these symptoms leads towards a clogged cat or even a faulty O2 sensor. The only code that does come up is the missfire cylinder 4.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Fuel pump?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post

I read up some guys running Magnaflow high flow cats on bimmerforums.com, but im not sure if its gonna pass emissions test for us here in canada. They are actually improving performance.

Im experiencing a missfire at cylinder 4 only when car is given a pedal to the floor (High rpms and higher speed). Check engine starts to flash a few times and then remains on. Once i turn the engine off and them back on everything runs smooth. I swapped out the ignition coil at RMP however the symptom is back, rulling out the faulty coil.

Reading up a bit on these symptoms leads towards a clogged cat or even a faulty O2 sensor. The only code that does come up is the missfire cylinder 4.

You could have a bad/clogged fuel injector in cylinder 4 or quite simple the plug could be bad internally. Does the tip of the #4 plug look different from the others....that should tell you what's happening.

You don't have to use a Magna flow Performance CAT, you can use any of the CATs sized for Mustang or Camero. In the past I've had good luck with Catco CATs, emissions not a problem and no performance issues.

Last edited by MLue1; 02-02-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarifying comment
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:

A clogged cat will cause all the cylinders at the Bank to misfire not only one cylinder.

Since your car is a 97, the cats are built in the rest of the exhaust. 99+ got them integrated into the manifold.
Why not drop the entire exhaust system and taking it for spin, that will determined if you have a bad cat or not.

Also you can try parts from a different cylinder.

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
prince1
on to the next 1

Send a message via MSN to prince1
hey bud, i did use a high flow magnaflow cat with a magnaflow cat back exhaust in my e36. the exhaust system was installed by bimmersport. i went for an etest last feb and had no issues. the car passed with no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
Yo man, I got $6000 in my bank account, and I could buy any car i want
Ya man with $6000 in the bank, you're really balling arnt ya
prince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the comments fellas. Yea clogged cat would trigger any cylinder so must be injector.

Right now I'm I'm going with the injector cleaner route.
So far I put one bottle of Lucas injector cleaner into the tank and we'll see how it goes.
I havent tried pushing the car hard. Maybe after the second bottle of cleaner I'll give it a rip.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Thanks for the comments fellas. Yea clogged cat would trigger any cylinder so must be injector.

Right now I'm I'm going with the injector cleaner route.
So far I put one bottle of Lucas injector cleaner into the tank and we'll see how it goes.
I havent tried pushing the car hard. Maybe after the second bottle of cleaner I'll give it a rip.
Dado, the cheapest best way to clean the injector is to remove it and back flush it with carb cleaner, the second way is to take it to a shop that will disconnect the fuel supply and hook up a containter with a mixture of cleaner and gas to clean the fuel rail as well as all the injectors.

I know a place in Markham but none out west but I'm sure there are quite a few that will perform that service.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
JINT
5th Gear Member

high flow cats are same sh!t as brand new OEM cats. Slightttttttly more flow. Tested this one many many cars.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Trekz
4th Gear Member

Yungs Auto at 221 Bethridge Rd in etobicoke does this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Dado, the cheapest best way to clean the injector is to remove it and back flush it with carb cleaner, the second way is to take it to a shop that will disconnect the fuel supply and hook up a containter with a mixture of cleaner and gas to clean the fuel rail as well as all the injectors.

I know a place in Markham but none out west but I'm sure there are quite a few that will perform that service.
Suspension Mods: Front Strut bar, Eibach spings, Billstein Struts.
Interior Mods: M3 buckets, Reverse Glow gauges, Momo steering wheel, M3 Shift Knob, M3 Headliner
Trekz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
CBimmer
2nd Gear Member

A Friend Of Mine Had This Problem Turned Out To Be Something To Do With The Rear Intake Cover On His.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: