Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
curlyman
1st Gear Newbie

E 46 cam timming tools wated to rent or borrow [PLEASE]

Hi
I`m looking to borrow or rent the tools needed to set the timming on my BMW E46 with the 2.5 litre 6 cylinder engine. I am willing to rent and pay shipping for the tools or if someone is willing to lend I promise I will take care of the tools and pay all shipping expenses...
I am a motorcycle mechanic by trade so I am well versued in proper tool use and I have the manual on cam timming but I find the tools way over priced for a simple adjustment and the dealer here wants 600 to 800 to do the job plus I took it in to have the codes read and that cost me 200 bux alone [never again]
I believe the owner before had the vanos repaired and the mechanic must have some how disrupted the timming because I took the vanos appart and it appears just fine so I even replaced the seals but it still has a lag the dealer said it`s the vanos and that will cost over 1200 I called B.S...
So any help would be great
thanx in advance Curlyman
curlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
marek
5th Gear Member

Is the vanos solenoid OK?
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Banned

Why would you think your timing is off?Vanos repair/replacement has nothing to do with physical timing changes. The chain shuldn't be touched during the process.

What exactly is going on which makes you believe the timing is off?

Did you check the timing? Set your crank TDC (top dead center) and look at your cams, look at the end of cams, Are they parallel to each other?

Its a bit hard to explain over the net, but I personally have set timing on M54s without any special tools , just a bevel edge square. I replaced the head on M54 and put different cams(Yes, I even replaced cams without the locking BS fixture, there are tricks to that), car ran superb first start(it actually ran very well, and shaved off a second off cars time, but thats another story). No special tools were used. Nor were they needed.

Before you do anything, you need to make sure its your timing that off. Invest in a diagnostic software, your dealer visit was an experience you dont want to live through again. Read the codes and see whats going on first.

If you REALLY think you need to re-time your car, there are plenty of webpages that'll show you how to do that ,as I cant type that much, without any special tools.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...aft-Timing.htm

Any questions, you;re more then welcome to ask , I'll try my very best to help you.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
If you REALLY think you need to re-time your car, there are plenty of webpages that'll show you how to do that ,as I cant type that much, without any special tools.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...aft-Timing.htm

Any questions, you;re more then welcome to ask , I'll try my very best to help you.
Just a note .... that link is for e36 (M50/m52 single vanos). Timing in the e46 doual vanos is considerably different.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Banned

My bad, wrong link.

http://ezflatscreen.com/carpages/m52headremoval.php

Scroll down the bottom to see how to re-time

I would like to first find out what makes OP think his timing is off.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
My bad, wrong link.

http://ezflatscreen.com/carpages/m52headremoval.php

Scroll down the bottom to see how to re-time

I would like to first find out what makes OP think his timing is off.
Great link! However, it says right in it:

BMW Special Tools that are REQUIRED!!!:
113240 Camshaft Locking Fixture
116150 Double Vanos Alignment Plate
114220 Timing chain pre-tensioner
NOT REQUIRED, BUT USEFUL:
116180 for setting up the sprocket chain timing
112300 TDC Pin

Old 05-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Great link! However, it says right in it:

BMW Special Tools that are REQUIRED!!!:
113240 – Camshaft Locking Fixture
116150 – Double Vanos Alignment Plate
114220 – Timing chain pre-tensioner
NOT REQUIRED, BUT USEFUL:
116180 – for setting up the sprocket chain timing
112300 – TDC Pin

Those are the required tools for timing like the dealer says. If one has those tools, it makes teh job very easy, and if one doesnt have any he can go about without them , like I have. (Those tools are for removing and installing cams, the re-timing is at the bottom ) I only used the chain dummy tensioner(out of the "special" tools) when I swapped my cams, anyway.

In OPs case we're only talking about re-timing , all he/she needs to do is to follow a few VERY simple steps as described in the link.

Double vanos alignment plate is easily substituted by the Vanos itself etc, I'm pretty sure you know the tricks, as I'm sure you did this a few times. Seeing that you race BMWs competitively I'm sure you had to change cams/re-time/ pull the head off... how about changing cams at the event when you forgot your fixture at the shop?

OP doesnt need to know all this, just thought I'd throw it out.

Last edited by new member; 05-02-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
curlyman
1st Gear Newbie

Hi
Thank you for your replies [so fast]
This is the double vanos model engine M54, ok here is what the dealer said the code shows intake cam, so what they thought is the vanos was not working and I thought that at first aswell. Total lag off the bottom end, very sluggish until you hit 3 g`s then she starts rockin. So I removed the Vanos as desribed in the manual and I replaced the seals and reassembled, I tested the selonoid [ok] I didn`t mess with anything else tried it again still very sluggish let it break in thinking it would clear up but it is still bad so I took it to a dealer [I didn`t want to] but I thought maybe I missed something or screwed up. The guy there [technician] checked it out a number of hours of both of us looking at the codes and trying the motor] and said we need to replace the vanos $1200 then I said I replaced the seals so after much debate we both thought that by chance the car has 170thou k`s the vanos was done be the previous owner a younger guy and they disturbed the intake cam done Perhaps a bolt on the vanos was replaced or broken and the the cam was disrupted slightly. Now either the person who did the repairs or tried to do them didn`t realize the cam face bolts do not need to be removed or loosened or some mistake was made that is hard to tell.
I would like to try and reset the timing to the correct settings and see if that truley is the problem.
Now if there is a way without the tools on this model I have not seen or heard of anyone showing this possible but I am willing to listen to all ideas and tips tricks.

Thank you all !
Curlyman
Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
curlyman
1st Gear Newbie

Here are all the codes this car is throwing from BMW dealer print out [I shouldn`t have bought my wife this used car] nice car got it cheap but...
Engine check light is on
DSC and CHECK BRAKE LIGHT ARE ON [YELLOW]
[103] 67 inlet VANOS camshaft, end postion not reached
[244] F4 segmented timing, true running disturbed
5DC0 WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, right rear
plus the right side headlight projector is dull compared to right and the key doesn`t work and it needs a wheel bearing or 2, the list goes on but I want to make it run better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: