Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Brake Pedal Pulsating

Installed new pads and rotors last summer and a few days after my brake pedal began pulsating when I would brake. Only happens sometimes and is dependent on how hard I am braking. I had actually changed my brakes last summer because my front rotor was warped (back then, it would be my steering wheel which would vibrate as common when a rotor is warped).

Could it be that my brakes are defective again? What would a pulsating brake pedal signify? Furthermore, could this be contributing to a vibration issue (steering wheel and the whole car in general vibrates any speed above 50 km/h) I have been dealing with? The vibrations began about two months or so after I installed my new brakes.

Any advice and help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by drivetolive; 04-03-2011 at 07:12 PM.
drivetolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
BimmerGuys
2nd Gear Member

You might need new rotors.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Would it be ok just replacing the rotors ando not the pads given they are only several months old? If not, and I have to get new pads, would the HAWK HPS pads be too aggressive for OEM rotors (I'm on EBC slotted rotors at the moment)? I'm open to hearing other recommendations for good performing, low dust pads .
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
oakville46
2nd Gear Member

I'm running the Hawm HPS pads on slotted rotors and zero dust right now. You'll eat up more pad and they need to be warmed before full braking advantage is taken from them .. I usually tap on the brakes to heat the surface of the pads before I press on them hard ... but I also have the 300ci brake upgrade done too.

As for the pedal feel, that would be a number of things from faulty rotors to improper pad installation. Best to get it checked out. Worst thing is trying to stop and no braking system available ... been there, not a pleasant ride.

If you have to end up buying new pads and/or rotors, do the 330ci front brake upgrade ... definitely worth the money. You'll have to run 17's forever after though.
oakville46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

I have been thinking about upgrading the brakes to 330 brakes, if you've done it, how do you like the upgrade? Is it worth with relation to the extra cost? If you don't mind be asking, how much did it cost for the extra parts, which I think are only the carriers and calipers, correct?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
oakville46
2nd Gear Member

It is sooo worth it. I've got people driving behind me now swirving to avoid hitting me cause the braking power has been improved soo much.

I got the 330 front calipers and carriers for $200 from a member sponsor here (eurostyle) and bought a good set of new slotted rotors and hawk pads for the front and rear - needed to change the brakes anyways as I had two faulty calipers on the front, so I said why not upgrade instead of spending close to the same money to get the same stuff. Overall I dropped $700 in total for the 330 calipers, new slotted 330 front rotors and pads, plus new rear 325 slotted rotors and pads from the states (with shipping).

Since you said you have slotted rotors already, get the 330ci front calipers and carriers, the 330ci front rotors (slotted) and Hawk Pads and you are set. It is a little different since it takes some time to get used to having to warm up the Hawk Pads, but once they bite into those nice large rotors, watch out ... you'll have some serious stopping power at your feet.

First day out I had the guy behind me have to swerve into the shoulder on the left lane on the 401 cause he didn't expect me to stop that fast.
oakville46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Use OEM and avoid crap that warps and wears faster than you can say it's only been 6 months lol

You could upgrade but why, wth are you doing every day you need that 5ft of breaking from 100.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: