Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
zalez05
1st Gear Newbie

Broken Door Actuator bracket and small hook

As in the first pic you can see that my bracket is broken...In the next pic you can see the small hook that is attached to the locking mechanism is also broken...
So I need some help on what my next step should be....It seems that the bracket is welded to the door handle so I have to change the whole door handle...and since where the small hook is attached is also broken then I have to change that piece as well...
My question is should i just change out the lock cylinder from the old one to the new one that i have in the last pictures?? Is that a difficult job to just change the lock cylinder or do i need a lock smith??

Im not sure how else I would do it, unless i can take the bracket off the handle and attached the new bracket to the old handle and attach the small hook to the locking mechanism...but i would have to take the locking mechanism apart....

Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do???

Thanks for your help everyone!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0310111801.jpeg (313.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpeg 0310111809.jpeg (198.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpeg 0312111952_01.jpeg (36.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg 0312111953a.jpeg (294.7 KB, 61 views)
zalez05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
dcramer
5th Gear Member

My car is an e36 and I just did the same job. Slightly different door handle. Changing the lock cylinder was pretty easy up until the point where I did something stupid. I took the cylinder out of mine using the key to depress all of the tumblers, then for some stupid reason I decided to take the key out of the cylinder. Some of the tumblers fell out and it took me an hour to put the pieces back together. The only hard part is getting the old cylinder out of the used handle. Since you don't have the key you have to use a pick to depress the tumblers to get it out. Really wasn't that hard. Just don't loose the tumblers, tape the cylinder or put grease on it or don't take the key out.

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
zalez05
1st Gear Newbie

THanks cramer.....Do you have any leads on how to start taking out the cylinder...Where should I start...It looked like i needed some special tools to get it out....Maybe I can post some pics of cylinder itself and you can guide me??
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalez05 View Post
THanks cramer.....Do you have any leads on how to start taking out the cylinder...Where should I start...It looked like i needed some special tools to get it out....Maybe I can post some pics of cylinder itself and you can guide me??
Just the cylinder ? All mine required was a small pin punch to take the pin out of the back of it.

Sure put some pics up.

Dave
Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
zalez05
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks cramer for your response I really appreciate it....Here are some pics of the new lock.....I think I just need to pull out the actual lock cylinder where the key goes...So I took some pics of the front and back...

I know you said that all i need is a push pin and pick....Now do i need the tumblers from the used lock since im swithing mine out into the used one..Im thinking maybe i just need to get that cylinder out from the used one and toss it...So would i just really need to keep the tumblers in place with my lock.....

How do I use the pick to depress the tumblers??
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0325112134.jpeg (244.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpeg 0325112135.jpeg (297.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpeg 0325112137.jpeg (289.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
zalez05
1st Gear Newbie

So the pin punch goes into that little hole, now sure what its suppose to do??
Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
dcramer
5th Gear Member

First of all does this look exactly the same as yours ? If not the job is still possible, just harder.

Either way, you use the pin punch to punch out the pin in the slot in the second picture.

Now getting it out. No you don't need the old tumblers. Once you get the pin out of the end the cylinder will be free. I used a pick. Push the pick in the key hole and just try to move the first tumbler up an down until the cylinder will slide out of the hole, then move to the next etc. It will come out. Plus you can see in the first picture a rectangular opening where you can push the tumblers down with a small screwdriver. The aim is to line the tumblers up so that they cylinder can slide out. If the back of the cylinder isn't the same then you will have to put your tumblers into the old cylinder. Just make sure that you track exactly where you took them out and put them back into the same place in the new cylinder
Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
zalez05
1st Gear Newbie

You know I havent pulled the door handle from my car yet...but when I looked inside the components did look a little different...Now im thinking i might had taken the door handle off a e39 or something....im gonna pull it now and see..

Thanks for your help!!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
zalez05
1st Gear Newbie

I switched out the cylinder, thanks cramer super easy....Then I installed the new piece and now I have a bit of a problem my door locks, windows and sunroof are all not working...lol....I checked the window fuse and its good....So now Im stuck...Any ideas??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: