Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Platinum maXbimmer Sponsors > Bimmersport Automotive
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

tilton setup

hey john im hopeing to do something about those pedals there way to upright and close i think if we rig some type of bracket up to run the top mount pedals we could push them back a little further and theyd b a little more comfortable unless theres a way of moving the steering wheel out n down, i think rob mentiond at one point that u did the top mount in one of the other cars. i also need the softer master cylinders for the brakes but i still dono what one to order. i have the .75 or 3/4

Thanks alot, merry xmas

Mike
Mpellizze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Tilton

If you are switching from your floor mounted pedals to the overhung pedals you can keep the 3/4inch master cylinders as they are the correct size. You might try using a brake pad with a higher initial bite. It's hard to get used to manual pedals on the street, so don't expect them to feel the same. They will always feel "harder" than a boosted system.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

the .75 or 3/4 is to big confirmed by jon at bimmersport and rocco from rmp its way to hard i couldnt stop if i really had to in an emergency its an accident waiting to happen i have been to scard to really test my new motor and its killing me
Old 12-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

i also would love to boost it but ive herd the kits arnt that good i noticed u have the s50b32 as well have u done any research in boosting that motor? from what i gather u gota build the motor to 8.5 compression, run standalone and do custom setup if u want big power and im surprised hpf doesnt make a kitas it would be that much easier
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Brakes

If you are changing your pedal setup, that will affect how hard you have to push the pedal. The floor mounted pedals have a ratio of 4.5-5.8 to 1 while the overhung pedals have a ratio of 6.1 to 1 which means you have more leverage and will require less force. Are you running a stock front brake? I forgot to ask. Also you have to be careful not to use too small a mastercylinder or else you will run out of fluid, an equally if not more serious issue than a stiff pedal.

As far as boosting goes, it's going to introduce a whole other batch of headaches in terms of reliability and overheating. As well you won't really be able to use any more power as the E30's are limited by the width of the rear tires.
At this point, you should take any extra funds and use them to increase your driving skills by doing more track time, driving schools, etc. You will enjoy your car more than if you spend the money trying to boost it.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

i just had bigger hopes of this motor its not as fast as i was hoping but im looking at changing my diff what one are you running?

i have a bbk on the front
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Brakes

What is your definition of "fast"?
Do you mean off the light? Do you mean stump pulling torque? Do you mean roll-on acceleration? Do you mean top speed?
If you are looking for "big power" then you should have gotten a Corvette.
If you are looking for top speed you should have bought a Porsche.

If you are looking for a great engine that pulls hard, is reliable and sings at high rpm, then the S50B32 is a great engine. The S50B32 in an E30 is a near perfect package in terms of weight, balance, and handling. It is a setup that allows the driver to experience driving in it's purist form without traction control, steering assist, or any other electronic "nanny" that all the new cars have.

With regards to your brakes, if you want a definitive answer, Tilton has great customer service. If you provide all the details of your set up ie. weight of the car, caliper piston size, wheel and tire size etc. they will tell you exactly which master cylinder to use.

It's interesting, I have the same setup as you do. When I first drove it I SWORE it was too hard and not effective at all in terms of stopping power. I really wanted to buy smaller master cylinders too. I spent a lot of time talking to a lot of experts like Lee Vuong at Massive Brakes. What changed everything is once I took the car to the track and drove it the way it was supposed to be driven, braking very hard. After that experience it seemed to be fine on the street and I have absolutely no concerns or issues driving normally on the street. I think it's partly a matter of re-learning what we feel is "normal" in terms of braking and pedal feel. There is no such thing as feathering the brake pedal when it's a manual setup. It always requires firm pressure and more of it. I also strongly suggest you try a different brake pad. Using a pad with a harder initial bite will make your braking feel more effective at lower speeds.
Let me know how it goes and good luck.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Brakes

Sorry, forgot to say I am running the 3.25 diff.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

ya i have the 3.73 im thinking of goin to the 2.73 the gears r so short but ya i thought the e30 would be a great car to do up and turbo its so light and i love the fact that theres no electronic "nanny" and i just plain love the look i will get an e30 m3 one day and swap this setup over into it but i do mostly spirited driving i would love to take it to a track but id cry if something ever happend to it i want a car that both pulls hard off the line and is awsome on the track but its still more street than track i like my interrior, ive got e36 full power. I think im going to do the bmw driving school in june but i have to get suspension and do something with that diff.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

do you have the 5 or 6 speed tranny? and what max speeds are your you getting in each gear? im starting to wonder if the 2.73 or 2.93 are going to slow me down to much

thx

MIke
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

My definition of fast is my old mans e46 m3 dinan stage 1 that thing scares me lol i guess i compare everything to that, i thought id be able to take him but i c what you mean im guna get rocco to take a look at it as he has a little more experience with these pedals not saying charlie and rob dont know their shit at all there brilliant and awsome but it sounds like roccos done alot of these manual setups if he tells me im crazy ill have to deal with it i guess im just after a more stock feeling but im with you i hate the electronic nanny b.s or i would have just got a e46 i guess u cant have ur cake and eat it too! i got a wilwood big break kit and im pretty sure their hawk pads but who knows aparently im a fussy guy
thx
p.s im a carpenter i dont know alot about cars im trying to learn bear with me
Mike
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

And top speed doesnt matter nowa days but i also dont wana rev 5000 rpm in sixth on the highway doing 140 not good for milege lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: