Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #436
BigD
the misanthropist

Did you find something to use for the spacer? My theory for the anecdotal reports of flywheel bolts backing out on M5x aluminum flywheels is that people buy them used and don't put a steel plate behind the bolts to sandwich the wheel, and torque against aluminum.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #437
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Did you find something to use for the spacer? My theory for the anecdotal reports of flywheel bolts backing out on M5x aluminum flywheels is that people buy them used and don't put a steel plate behind the bolts to sandwich the wheel, and torque against aluminum.
I asked the previous owner if it had the metal ring, and he said no. But I'm pretty sure it had to have it.

I'm considering scrapping this mod for now. Im going to have to order all the new parts for this thing.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #438
Michel
6th Gear Member

looking good man! wanna sell me your kosei's?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #439
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Jealous of the lift. I wish I had one at my disposal.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #440
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Oh hello Bimmerworld Race Shifter!

This thing is seriously well made!

Lots of parts arrived this week. I'll have lots of updates starting this weekend.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #441
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

sweeet. ur going all out on this thing man...

09 F250, 2012 Honda CRV winterbeater
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #442
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Well I wanted to get the tranny back in, since JB Racing sent me the new hardware. Turns out it's wrong. Everything was right except the pressure plate bolts. I'm going to try to source them locally. JB sent M8x1.25 but I need 5/16x18.

So I put the Ground Control Spherical RSM's in instead.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #443
BigD
the misanthropist

Nice shifter! What made you choose it over the AKG stg2/3?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #444
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Nice shifter! What made you choose it over the AKG stg2/3?
The price haha. Bimmerworlds is only $300. And I've heard great things about it too.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #445
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
The price haha. Bimmerworlds is only $300. And I've heard great things about it too.
True, not much in it either way, plus you already got a shifter knob you like, the AKG comes with a delrin one.

Do you have a dssr already? I'm torn about getting one. I don't really buy the gain from it and it's awful spendy. The shifter, sure, losing all those bushings. But the stock selector rod seems plenty stiff.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #446
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
True, not much in it either way, plus you already got a shifter knob you like, the AKG comes with a delrin one.

Do you have a dssr already? I'm torn about getting one. I don't really buy the gain from it and it's awful spendy. The shifter, sure, losing all those bushings. But the stock selector rod seems plenty stiff.
I'd also love a DSSR, whether it's UUC or AKG. I also agree. I'm sure it does remove some play, but nothing to write home about

Most of the play is just in the selector joint on the tranny. I'm sure you know about the little foam ball that's supposed to be inside to keep tension on the pin. That thing turns into dust after a few years. So I just pulled the joint off, packed it with foam and voila.

It would just be nice to have something nice a sturdy like that. But I think the stock rod is going to have to do for now. Can't justify spending $150 for one.

BTW, is your beast almost done?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #447
BigD
the misanthropist

Yeah exactly, if it was cheaper then maybe...

No actually, never heard of that before. Googled what you mean, thanks for the tip! I'm mainly repulsed by the slop in the console and the ball. The selector knuckle on my zf is pretty tight but I'll repack it anyway.

No, but I think it's finally winding down. I mainly hope the spending will stop soon but every time I compose a shopping cart for one thing or another, it's another anal rape. The 4 figure bills seem to have stopped though. I tell ya, I will never underestimate the price of those f***ing AN fittings. A dude who guided me through the standalone and turbo path, told me to prepare to pay through the nose. I looked at the prices - 5, 7 bucks a pop... what's the big deal? My fuel plumbing alone is like 350 bucks, fml. At this rate I'll be thrilled if it actually gets finished at some point, performance just being a secondary bonus lol. It's difficult to convince yourself that you're making progress when all you're doing is take stuff off the car - it's just a shell right now.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #448
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Oh damn.

Ya I'm lucky I only needed 4 fittings for the oil cooler haha. Got mine from Summit. They're actually the Summit brand ones, half the price of Earls.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #449
BigD
the misanthropist

I'm using Summit brand for my fuel hard lines and the pipe-AN pipe adapters but for the hoses I'm using Aeroquip. The only exception will likely be the pump to swirl pot since it's a -10 connection and I've been told in no uncertain terms to use teflon hose. Teflon 90 deg -10 hose ends are like 50 bucks each. I found that my source of piping/silicone has started carrying teflon hose and ends, so I ordered a pair to see the quality (I feel reasonably OK with it since other than Aeroquip and Earl's, I'm sure it's all made in China anyway, prob same factory lol):

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index...4311fe7a581682
Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #450
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

DSSRs are pretty fantastic, I have one with my m52. I hadn't driven the car without the dssr, but fiddling around with the shifter (making driving noises) before and after, I did notice a difference. And this was with all new bushings too.

Also, where were you going to get your DSSR from, I paid $150+shipping for 2 of em (e30 and e36). I think I got them from turner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: