Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #16
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Touche!

However...while you are entirely correct with the above statements.

What I really meant to say and my poor explanation foiled my argument, is as follows.

Whenever you reset the CEL, the OBD system goes into a state of 'not ready'. This is an automatic fail on emissions test and a red flag that the system has been reset.

The readiness cycle must be completed before the system can be 'ready' and tested.Therefore it is impossible to trick an emissions test into passing just by turning off the light. Though you are correct in that you cannot actually pull the code that was reset.

So we are both right even though I'm the most right and you are not unwrong.

http://www.ctemissions.com/obdbrochure.pdf
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #17
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Legally a shop is not allowed to do an etest on a vehicle with a CEL on. CEL comes on for emissions related problems and it WILL NOT be triggered by running 87 octane. I run that gas all winter long and never a CEL.

When you go look at the car again, go for a long test drive and see if the CEL comes back on. Given his 'octane' explanation I'd be pretty suspicious, and it wouldn't surprise me if he turned the CEL off with a scanner before you got there.
2 etests on my car, both with CEL on. both passed.
cel is more than just emissions, mines for battery.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

You seem to have all the books young grasshopper, you should now take the time to read them. The state of non-readiness isn't caused by clearing the codes with a scanner, it's caused by clearing the codes by disconnecting the battery...big difference. When the battery is disconnected and a reader is put to the car without it being driven then a P1000 code is thrown which is a clear indicator that the battery was disconnected. However, when a scanner is used, then that code WILL NOT be given. Again, try it, any code reader is capable of pulling that code (P1000). Clear codes with a scanner, then reattach the scanner and I guarantee no codes will come up.

To sum things up, I said a person with a code reader could hide the fact that a problem exists. My statement still holds true. You said this wasn't possible. It appears I am 'most right' and you are not 'not unwrong'.

A good day for you, you're being educated without any expense involved

tg07lq - battery light is for the battery/alternator. That said, the battery acts as an electronic filter for the power from the alternator, and as such if it's not working, odd things happen. As far as I know, there's no CEL code for a failed battery as the CEL is strictly for emissions related parts/sensors.

I do stand corrected though as far as it being a legal requirement for the CEL to be off before a test:

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...STDPROD_075681
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
arsevader
4th Gear Member

It appears my last lesson fell on deaf ears. While I appreciate your unwillingness to look facts in the face and your inability to bow to my greatness, I feel you need to be sent back to school.

Please see this thread from the online haven of all things correct known as e46fanatics...

It would seem that a reset of the CEL with a tool also resets the readiness codes and leads to smog test failures even without battery disconnects.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=706214

The Peake tool can not read readiness codes and I suspect others can not also.

Quote:
A good day for you, you're being educated without any expense involved
Unfortunately this education feels a little like it came from the back of a cereal box.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
Old 03-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure by this point you've come across the term fallacy, which incidentally there are two of in your post:
1. Assuming fanatics is the home of geniuses rather than a forum dedicated to opinions and polls on which wheels and bumpers look shiniest, and what headlights are bluest
2. Assuming a peake tool resets the same way a generic or good obd2 reader does

I've never used a peake since I've thought of it as an overpriced pos, but since I'd never used it, I kept my comments about it to myself. It makes no sense to buy a peake which can only read and erase codes on specific models of BMW (and is apparently not even good at that) where one can purchase a Carsoft kit off kijiji for half the cost.

This revelation bring light to the root of the debate, you essentially believe BMW are morons that buy and use peake tools, whereas, I gave them credit and assumed they had the sense to buy and use adequate tools. That's not very nice of you.

I can tell you that my first OBD2 reader which I bought from harborfreight for $30 can read P1000, and doesn't cause it when it clears codes. Since that reader I've moved to ELM, then Carsoft (for BMW) and Vagcom (wife's Audi), and am in the process of working towards DIS and SSS Progman. My wife owned a Mazda Millenia S, and now has an Audi A4, believe me, I know code readers.

Out of curiousity, when is your match-box diploma scheduled to arrive?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Dear Reader,

It appears as though your post above is incorrect. We ask you to please review your work and resubmit for evaluation. We understand that mistakes happen and almost everyone isn't perfect so we are giving you a chance to admit your error.

http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/...RepairCare.pdf

"The most common reasons for unset readiness codes
are a recent vehicle battery disconnect, a low or dead
battery or a recent vehicle service in which the OBD
information was cleared using a scan tool."

Also it has come to our attention that you hold the site e46fanatics in low regard. The entire BMW owning community of males of the age range of 16-18 take great offense to this and ask that you retract that statement. They are not just interested in shiny things but also ghey things, illest things, sick things and various other awesome things which the older more mature audience wouldn't understand.

Thankyou, The Management.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
Old 03-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

My 2 cents...

Dude is selling you a car with a "CEL" on and tells you that his "wife" put 87 Octane in the car??

YAH RIGHT!

Even my girlfriend knows that my bimmer takes 91 or 94.

Secondly... I don't think a CEL would come on for using a lower octane, but I ain't a mechanic.

Common sense:

A - dude gives you a "dog ate my homework" excuse... walk away.
B - Light magically goes away, and dude can't tell you why?... walk away.

In my case here is a logical scenario of the CEL on one day, and off the other.

I stupidly drove my car in that crazy winter storm a few weeks back.
I got a CEL and my engine died.
2 days later the car drove fine.
Took it to a mechanic and saw the CODES still registered in the car's ECU
Told me the codes were a problem with my MAF, and O2 sensors.
Cleared the codes, started the car codes never came back.
Reason... because of the SNOW STORM, my GRILLE was FILLED with snow and the engine could not get enough air/too much moisture. 2 days later and warmer weather... issue goes away.

Bottom line... make sure its checked out before you buy... and don't go for any BS answers. Any dude who's had a BMW for more than a week, should know better.

Last edited by blakneto; 03-06-2011 at 09:14 PM.
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #23
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

Just curious... was this a RED 330i not too far away from FINCH and YONGE in North York? :p
Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Error nothing, apparently we will have to meet and come to a conclusion using a scientific method. I have 3 different readers/scanners I can clear codes with, you bring yours if you have any (I assume you do) and we'll see what pops the P1000 code. A date will soon need to be set...there will be blood.

Dear Management, anyone that refers to E46fanatics as a site dedicated to the advancement of automotive learning should also consider Top Gear in high regard for it's merits as well. I personally feel both are farces, albeit good ones, but none the less fall short in virtually every category of educational worthiness. My previous statement stands, and blue angel eyes are ghey.

On a side note, I would have replied sooner, but got busy with a few squash games, wife, son, friends car needed work done, and unfortunately a job.

Second side note, in -10*C weather, a stock non-m e46 does not need premium gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader View Post
Dear Reader,

It appears as though your post above is incorrect. We ask you to please review your work and resubmit for evaluation. We understand that mistakes happen and almost everyone isn't perfect so we are giving you a chance to admit your error.

http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/...RepairCare.pdf

"The most common reasons for unset readiness codes
are a recent vehicle battery disconnect, a low or dead
battery or a recent vehicle service in which the OBD
information was cleared using a scan tool."

Also it has come to our attention that you hold the site e46fanatics in low regard. The entire BMW owning community of males of the age range of 16-18 take great offense to this and ask that you retract that statement. They are not just interested in shiny things but also ghey things, illest things, sick things and various other awesome things which the older more mature audience wouldn't understand.

Thankyou, The Management.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #25
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

where's the "like" link when you need it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: