Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Holy halfshaft beat down and diff swap.

The goal was to swap out my SUPER low diff (2.79LSD) with a higher ratio one (3.73LSD) after an "i" swap for my eta. I finally found a use for my Princess Auto motorcycle jack!!

Dropping and reinstalling the diff was easy. I replaced the speed sensor (from old diff) and bought a new o-ring, plus axle shaft seals. Getting out the passenger side axle was easy, the driver's side I think has never been out of this 1985 rear suspension. I tackled this as the boots were cracked but not through. I was warned replacing the boots myself was a messy job.....

I destroyed a cold punch hammering on the driver's side to no avail. Backed off the nut a bit and hit it with the socket on the end. Nothing. Took a heavy duty 3 arm puller to the axle with the arms supported by the back of the hub. Nothing. Using a breaker bar I tightened down that mofo until I swear something was going to blow apart. Nothing! Bought a new IR 3000BPM air hammer and killed the end of the pointed chisel as well. I'll use this air hammer in the future no doubt.

... then my good buddy gave me an idea. Once the puller is tightened down as much as you can whack a few times the end of the puller rod. This will shock the axle while under stress. Did this and a half turn, wack, half turn and wack. This went on about 5 times until turning the puller got slightly easier. The noise this axle made coming out of the hub was obscene.

The axle dropped out not without swelling the threaded section a bit. Tip leave the nut on as much as you can to minimize the swell and "rethread" the spline backing the nut off if you damage anything. This was my first time repacking an axle and replacing boots. Seeing how the CV joint worked was interesting. Typical wear marks on the inside spider gear (or whatever its called) but no pitting. I repacked everything and swapped the driveshaft sides to get even wear BECAUSE I AM NOT DOING THIS AGAIN!!!

I'm a little concerned how hard I had to beat on the driver's side to get it back into the hub even with liberal amounts of lube. Perhaps a new halfshaft is in my future. If thats the case, so is a new hub.

Also Bilstein sport shocks to go in this week as well.

Anyway later this week I'll put in the driveshaft and torque all the nuts and changed the diff fluid. Will report back.

85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Last edited by DR.ZED; 02-21-2011 at 09:44 AM.
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
sLvr325i
2nd Gear Member

Congrats. Nice work. You may redeem your NOS sticker anytime.
sLvr325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLvr325i View Post
Congrats. Nice work. You may redeem your NOS sticker anytime.
Thank you kind sir.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: