Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Luke318is
BMW Fanatic

Vancouver BC Shops

Hey there. I haved moved to vancouver bc and im wondering if there is a good import repair shop that is trusted. If you have one, lemme know!

Thanks,

Luke
1990 ///325i -Imported Mtech2 model, purchased May 28
Luke318is is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
daveed
2nd Gear Member

First of all you should join bcbimmer.com - awesome bmw community for B.C./lower mainland with plenty of e30 owners (including me!)

Some of the more popular shops to consider:

CG Motorsport (Richmond)
German Auto Sport (Surrey)
Nixon Automotive (Burnaby)
The Euro Shop (Surrey)
daveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist

Everyone swings off CG's and Nixon's nuts, saying how they're the best and have great rates (esp Nixon). Well I came from the GTA, so I know what "great rates" are, and all of the Vancouver shops are out to ****ing lunch. A full day and almost a thousand bucks to do trailing arm bushings? I did it in less time in a friend's garage with a socket set and a torch.

When I was there, there was a guy I found who seemed reasonable. I think he's out in Surrey or Richmond, he's a regular on the BC BMW forums, I think his handle is Al Canuck.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

^might wanna read this: http://www.bcbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3787 first. I honestly don't know how much of it is accurate, but this thread came to mind when you mentioned him. Seems a lot of people have beef with him...
Nick_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Gotta log in to read. I don't doubt it. He seemed cool in person, we just swapped diffs. The diff did end up blowing later on. I later asked him if he had another one I could BUY (not have for free, I was not blaming him, it's the name of the game with 20 year old parts). He didn't reply. I posted a thread asking if anyone had one I could buy because my diff grenaded, and looked like it was tampered with (in my mind, still not blaming the guy). And he replied calling me names, saying I need to stop bitching about used parts, and how the diff was perfect when he had it...

Now, that makes him a douche bag but he still seemed to be a good mechanic with good rates so I would have still recommended him (like a shop in the GTA that I know...). But maybe that thread proves that wrong too...

EDIT: remembered my old login on that site and read the thread... ouch

Last edited by BigD; 02-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
daveed
2nd Gear Member

Yeah Al works at German Auto Sports, people have had some bad experiences with him but if you look hard enough you will find complaints about every shop. Still, they know old bmws really well and have a cheaper than average shop rate. To be honest they get the best reviews from the E30 crowd.

I've done all of my work myself so far, but I know eventually I'll probably have to go to a shop and I'd take it to GAS. Though, I'm considering getting the subframe bushings done at the dealer because they have specialty tools and it may actually work out to be cheaper.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveed View Post
Yeah Al works at German Auto Sports, people have had some bad experiences with him but if you look hard enough you will find complaints about every shop. Still, they know old bmws really well and have a cheaper than average shop rate. To be honest they get the best reviews from the E30 crowd.

I've done all of my work myself so far, but I know eventually I'll probably have to go to a shop and I'd take it to GAS. Though, I'm considering getting the subframe bushings done at the dealer because they have specialty tools and it may actually work out to be cheaper.
Yeah, having read the thread, it sounds like his position at GAS is the best fit - in that he doesn't get to deal with the money.

I did my subframe and trailing arm bushings in my CEO's garage when I lived in Van (couldn't find anyone lower ranking in the company who had a garage with a door). It was my first time doing it and it was really pretty simple, took me the better part of a day but I was taking my time. It was priceless to watch the rich yuppies walking their purse dogs, past a dirty grease monkey burning out a bushing with a torch.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
daveed
2nd Gear Member

That must have felt good lol, I'll probably end up doing it myself lol
Old 02-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
sLvr325i
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It was priceless to watch the rich yuppies walking their purse dogs, past a dirty grease monkey burning out a bushing with a torch.
my god man dont you know you scared that little poor little purse/wallet dog to death with your fire and smoke and rock'n'roll you useless infidel hippy!
sLvr325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #10
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Reading the BCBimmers thread. Holy posts 94-96! Life's a bitch...

Seems like a good board though... from my outsider's throne...
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
daveed
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
Reading the BCBimmers thread. Holy posts 94-96! Life's a bitch...

Seems like a good board though... from my outsider's throne...
It is, there's some seriously nice cars there too. One of our members just got a turbo'd e30 touring. A few m3s as well... I don't think I've ever posted pics of my car here:

EDIT: I joined after all of the Al Larsen shit happened so it doesn't really affect me.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

^There always seems to be a super clean E30 for sale on there. That would be a great road trip home...
Nick_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

That's the plan... or maybe I'll just stay. You guys love having more Torontonians around, right?
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #14
Fast Five
1st Gear Newbie

If anyone is still looking for current location info on Al Larson I have posted it here.

Al Larson - German Auto Sports
13431 72 Ave.
Surrey, BC
V3W 2N7
Phone: 778 565 3427
Fax: 604 598 0158
E-mail: info@germanautosports.com

http://www.germanautosports.com

http://www.604gas.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/German...08028025888123

He is also on Facebook under the name "Allan Larson". His current picture (08-02-2011) is of himself and two other people in motorcycle helmets. He was known to be using the email address "alsnewemail@gmail.com" in 2010 however this cannot be confirmed as current.

His current business partner is Sudeep Mohan who also works as a Mechanical Engineer at Honeywell Video Systems and can be emailed at 'sudeep.mohan@gmail.com'.

His current shop boy is Andrew Poon. He is also on Facebook under the same name.

I hope this helps the victims that are are still waiting for some type of restitution from Al. Lord knows there are dozens and dozens of them.
Fast Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Fast Five
1st Gear Newbie

German Auto Sports is run by shop manager Al Larson.

He is a well known con-man and thief in the local and online BMW community.

He has stolen from dozens and dozens of victims over the years amounting to several thousands of dollars for everything from carpet sets that were paid for and never sent to mechanical work that was shoddy at best and totally un-needed. He has also taken payment for mechanical work that was never performed.

A quick google search for the name "Al Larson" or his former businesses "Seams Perfect" and "Classic Image" all return many hits for people who were bilked by Al over the years. He changes the name to German Auto Sports, but the bad ways still continue to this day.

BUYER BEWARE!!! STAY AWAY FROM GERMAN AUTO SPORTS AND AL LARSON!
Fast Five is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: