Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
jetjockey
1st Gear Newbie

HELP!! E46 '01 330i Oil on top of valve cover

Hi Folks.

Well I'm in need of some help here. Before I start chasing something that may not be the problem....

So I have just removed the plastic cover over the coils/plugs and I see that there is oil sitting in the area around the ignition coils on top of the valve cover.

So here's the story...driving to work on Friday (-15C temp) I noticed when I got to work that there was a smell of buring oil. I opened the hood and could see oil dripping on the exhaust manifold. I was driving pretty normal without sudden accellerations until just before exiting the highway a few blocks from work. At that time I gave a little bit of a harder accelleration as the dude in front of me was slowing to a crawl on the 407....had to accellerate back up to traffic speed to merge with traffic to get around him....

I've read about the oil separators freezing and can cause VCG to blow....but I was expecting the leak around the edge of the VC, not at the plug area.

I've got a VCG kit to install, and the Oil separator and all lines...but before I start ripping things apart here, is there anything else that can be causing the oil leakage???

My initial concern on removing the cover was that one of the plug threads had let go, but I would think that that would not cause the oil in the area of the coils as the oil resides under the valve cover and not in large quantities in the cylinders....Valid assumption???.

the car was moved into a garage in hopes of thawing any potential frozen oil separator, and it does start this morning. There is also vaccuum on the oil cap. Engine sounds fairly normal

Car has 115K on it and until this was running great.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
jetjockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: