Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #46
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Philboski/Chromius: I'm right there with you guys! I spent over 2 grand replacing every damn piece of that crap cooling system. If you happen to take the 417W to work, and you saw a riced-out E46 sedan pulled over with 4-ways flashing, waiting for a flatbed tow on Monday morning, that was me. : Gotta love it. I'm doing 130KM/h, and look down to see my engine temp FIRMLY in the RED ZONE. F**k me, that was a nice surprise. Coldest day of the year and my car overheats. Oh the irony.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #47
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

^ sucks for sure..

I heard aluminum blocks warp real easy from overheating..?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #48
carjoe
6th Gear Member

It's turning into a saga!

I dropped off the car last night, running like hell, won't idle, CEL...garage calls this morning, it's running like a champ.

They call, "can we keep it over night?" Yeah, no problem. If by chance it gets totalled in an accident because it stalled, that would be terrible...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #49
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
^ sucks for sure..

I heard aluminum blocks warp real easy from overheating..?
I sure hope not, since I just replaced my 320i engine with a used 325i one! A THIRD engine would be nuts. Seems to be running fine (knock on wood). Apparently my coolant was only good to -17C, and it froze. I had some weak watered down crap in there for some reason.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #50
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I sure hope not, since I just replaced my 320i engine with a used 325i one! A THIRD engine would be nuts. Seems to be running fine (knock on wood). Apparently my coolant was only good to -17C, and it froze. I had some weak watered down crap in there for some reason.
I'd love to get a 325it and replace the motor with a 330I lump. And a six speed. It always struck me as odd that BMW would put the smaller engine in the heavier wagon. And I dig wagons.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #51
msinger
3rd Gear Member

From the sounds of this thread I should be able to buy everyones car for about $100....

I'm waiting, cash in hand.....
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #52
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

This past summer, right before my engine swap, I would have paid YOU $100 to set the thing on fire for an insurance job.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #53
carjoe
6th Gear Member

For $100 I'll let you swear at it with me.

Phil, how's the car?

Mine's running great again...the new wallet lightening mod is really helping the weight distro.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #54
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Mines running fine, but still has a small coolant leak. Todd said it was on the back of the engine, so the water manifold might be leaking -- I'd have to confirm though.

The underbody plastic that holds the outside temp sensor is gone though, so the sensor's dangling in the breeze. I have a new one on order, but no idea when I'll get to it.

I have been looking at other cars, but it has been frustrating to say the least. If I find one I like, I find out it's likely a ticking time bomb, waiting to blow my wallet to smithereens (see Mazdaspeed3, any VW with a 2.0T -- Todd even warned me about those).

One more thing -- the ASC and ABS are intermittently DOA. I suspect a sensor.

I might have to break down (no pun intended) and buy something (gulp) ordinary.

Last edited by Philboski; 02-08-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #55
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post

I might have to break down (no pun intended) and buy something (gulp) ordinary.
Funny you mention that. I've been thinking the same thing. I really want AWD or RWD, manual transmission, 4 doors. A4? Mazdaspeed6? STI? Legacy GT? G35?

Or I say screw it and get a new 4 door commuter and save up for a speedy something as a weekend warrior/toy.

*sigh* I may just wait until someone hits me or the car blows up on it's own. A shame really, I love driving it. Just not sure about how much more I want to throw at it this year.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #56
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Funny you mention that. I've been thinking the same thing. I really want AWD or RWD, manual transmission, 4 doors. A4? Mazdaspeed6? STI? Legacy GT? G35?

Or I say screw it and get a new 4 door commuter and save up for a speedy something as a weekend warrior/toy.

*sigh* I may just wait until someone hits me or the car blows up on it's own. A shame really, I love driving it. Just not sure about how much more I want to throw at it this year.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - i've got a 2007 subaru impreza 2.5i SE for sale. black, 5speed, sedan, tinted windows, 2 sets of rims, sunroof, 100k.. never given me any issues. Let me know if anyone is interested!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #57
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post

You've got some good coices there, but the A4 is no more reliable than a BMW. In my instance, the STI would be fabulous, were it not for the cost (and I am too big for the older ones), the Mazdaspeed 6 faces some reliability issues, and both the Legacy GT and G35 are too small for me.

I think the only way that I'll be able to get something that fits my wants/needs is to drop 60+ pounds.

Right now, the Mazda3 is out front -- I want to drive another one for a longer period of time before I do anything though. I need to be sure that I'll be comfortable drivign up to my cottage and the like.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: