Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

E30 update non-bmw engine swap inside

Well, I haven't posted my car in ages, some of you may remember me talking about an engine swap I wanted to do this winter. Well I've made some head way, here's a link to the build thread on Stanceworks.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9029

And for those too lazy to go through my thread, the first start video from yesterday, lots of work left, but it feels like its downhill from here.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

I heard stories of this.

I like it.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Hell yeah, I got to witness the epicness in person

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

forgot the NSFP tag!!! Looks good so far, can't wait to see it rippen this summer!
richie_s999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

noice!!
dammit I can't wait to get my turbo car sorted out in the spring...
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Sweet, I'm lovin the non-BMW engine swaps. Lookin good!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Kudos for doing something unique and doing the work yourself,
but please, enlighten me,
if you want a Jap motor (nissan?), then why not just get a rwd/awd nissan?
All the cheap HP you want... and a skyline is BADASS.

I'll never understand this trend.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

^^^ no comment.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Kudos for doing something unique and doing the work yourself,
but please, enlighten me,
if you want a Jap motor (nissan?), then why not just get a rwd/awd nissan?
All the cheap HP you want... and a skyline is BADASS.

I'll never understand this trend.
He toasted the motor in his car and picked up an SR20DET on the cheap. Those motors make more power stock than any M50/52 swap, and lots more power for very little $$. There's a larger after market parts community as well. What more do you need to know?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
He toasted the motor in his car and picked up an SR20DET on the cheap. Those motors make more power stock than any M50/52 swap, and lots more power for very little $$. There's a larger after market parts community as well. What more do you need to know?
Re-read my original post,
now,
you understand that I am aware of the cost to power ratio vs a BMW engine.

With me? Good.

I am not arguing with him, I am merely trying to understand this "trend? Phenomenon? W/e you call It".

I bought a BMW because, well I like BMW's, I like the engine, the performance, the appearence, the feel, the interior, the driving response, I like the overall experience/car that is BMW. I was also aware of the costs associated with a BMW, the limitations, the fact that modding them is more expensive, etc.

So, my question is, if dirt cheap power and reliability is what you are chasing, then why look at a BMW?
RWD domestics and Jap cars are a dime a dozen.

Bastardizing a good condition e30 (far and few of those), is just nonsense to me. "It's cheap so who cares" is a terrible mentality to have IMO.

Maybe I am too old... I dunno.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

^^^whats there to understand? he has the platform (e30) and wants power thats cheap (sr20). i bet you didn't know that 2+2= more.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Re-read my original post,
now,
you understand that I am aware of the cost to power ratio vs a BMW engine.

With me? Good.

I am not arguing with him, I am merely trying to understand this "trend? Phenomenon? W/e you call It".

I bought a BMW because, well I like BMW's, I like the engine, the performance, the appearence, the feel, the interior, the driving response, I like the overall experience/car that is BMW. I was also aware of the costs associated with a BMW, the limitations, the fact that modding them is more expensive, etc.

So, my question is, if dirt cheap power and reliability is what you are chasing, then why look at a BMW?
RWD domestics and Jap cars are a dime a dozen.

Bastardizing a good condition e30 (far and few of those), is just nonsense to me. "It's cheap so who cares" is a terrible mentality to have IMO.

Maybe I am too old... I dunno.
I have a few reasons for the swap.

First of all, my car started as a pretty ugly faded automatic 325is, i swapped to 5 speed, and in december toasted the motor. So reason for putting a motor in altogether is right there.

Agreed swapping motors, wether bmw or non-bmw motor into a nice shell is stupid, modding a clean car is more or less a waste. However my car is not by any means a shell worth saving, it's just a decent shell that will last a while.

I bought this car, I think my 6th or 7th e30? Simply because I love the chassis, I'm very familiar with them, I like the driving feel, the styling, and just about everything about them, and the m20 is a great motor.

The reason for the swap is in its most obviousness power gains, but beyond that more oil pan clearance then any bmw swap I'm familiar with. The aftermarket tuning available for the motor is insane, I ordered a tubular stainless equal length runner exhaust manifold for 225.00 dollars canadian shipped to my door. Ever heard of anything like that for a bmw being that cheap? Especially something well known with decent warranty.

I can't say I have ever owned anything not european either, I've never owned a 240 or an fc or anything of that nature, I love bmw, and more then likely always will (atleast anything e36 and older)

So I put in a jap motor, thats cheap to mod, gets me oil pan clearance, and high hp reliablility. I still get my nice handling e30 with the motor farther back, less weight from the motor, still have my interior, looks, styling and all that good stuff.

Another big reason for the swap, is mearly the challenge. I'm really enjoying pushing myself to understand and figure out things you would almost never come across fixing regular cars. I'm currently building an amplifier circuit to boost the 5v nissan tach signal to the 12v signal the e30 tach wants to see to work. I find that fun in a way, and challenging too. The swap is definitely something I'm doing to say I did it, my own father told me I was a dumbass to try this and that I'd never get it running. Well I'm proud to say it fired up first try on saturday with the harness I made that's using stock e30 main relay and fuel pump relay to turn on the coils, injectors, fuel pump etc. You don't really get that challenge just putting the same or a similar motor back in.

Personally I don't think these are bad reasons, but hey, sure to piss someone off putting a nissan motor in god's chariot
Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
W00t w00t e30's + boost is win. Good to see e30 guys doing something else other than chips and cold air intakes and m/s5x swaps!

i must has ride in this when it done
Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
I have a few reasons for the swap.

First of all, my car started as a pretty ugly faded automatic 325is, i swapped to 5 speed, and in december toasted the motor. So reason for putting a motor in altogether is right there.

Agreed swapping motors, wether bmw or non-bmw motor into a nice shell is stupid, modding a clean car is more or less a waste. However my car is not by any means a shell worth saving, it's just a decent shell that will last a while.

I bought this car, I think my 6th or 7th e30? Simply because I love the chassis, I'm very familiar with them, I like the driving feel, the styling, and just about everything about them, and the m20 is a great motor.

The reason for the swap is in its most obviousness power gains, but beyond that more oil pan clearance then any bmw swap I'm familiar with. The aftermarket tuning available for the motor is insane, I ordered a tubular stainless equal length runner exhaust manifold for 225.00 dollars canadian shipped to my door. Ever heard of anything like that for a bmw being that cheap? Especially something well known with decent warranty.

I can't say I have ever owned anything not european either, I've never owned a 240 or an fc or anything of that nature, I love bmw, and more then likely always will (atleast anything e36 and older)

So I put in a jap motor, thats cheap to mod, gets me oil pan clearance, and high hp reliablility. I still get my nice handling e30 with the motor farther back, less weight from the motor, still have my interior, looks, styling and all that good stuff.

Another big reason for the swap, is mearly the challenge. I'm really enjoying pushing myself to understand and figure out things you would almost never come across fixing regular cars. I'm currently building an amplifier circuit to boost the 5v nissan tach signal to the 12v signal the e30 tach wants to see to work. I find that fun in a way, and challenging too. The swap is definitely something I'm doing to say I did it, my own father told me I was a dumbass to try this and that I'd never get it running. Well I'm proud to say it fired up first try on saturday with the harness I made that's using stock e30 main relay and fuel pump relay to turn on the coils, injectors, fuel pump etc. You don't really get that challenge just putting the same or a similar motor back in.Personally I don't think these are bad reasons, but hey, sure to piss someone off putting a nissan motor in god's chariot
First, let me say thanks for the great reply that answered the question I was posing. I am also very glad that you realized I wasn't attacking you, but merely trying to understand ones reasons for the swap.

We really don't need more morons on Max like "el gato liso" who never contribute anything useful but are always looking to get involved in an online bashing war. I guess that's what happens when you let morons near a keyboard.

I completely understand what you are saying about the challenge and perhaps that is the biggest reason of all to do something like this swap.

You've always pushed the envelope to some extent with your e30's, somethings I loved ( the porche wheels), others I thought were ludacris (like this lol), but at the end of the day for doing something that makes you happy and is definitely different.

Now, don't go and add any JDM wings or Alteza's cuz I am really gonna have to come and kick your ass.

Good luck with the rest of it, seems that we now have two very unique swaps on Max (yours and Dan's). Max community certainly seems to be evolving, now if we can get rid of the few aforemention morons, we would be that much better off.

I am just a purist to some degree and am not so "out of the box" when it comes to modding.

Toys

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 02-07-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

^^^ that's "El Gato Liso" to you, Terry. actually, i've posted up my complete m50 swap using E30 stock parts for people to reference...

I'm a moron!!!!!! OOMMGGGGGGGGGGGG

and the best feeling....turning over your swapped car for the first time. I had the exact same reaction!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: