Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
defaultName
5th Gear Member

There Will Be Blood...

...And sweat, tears, dirt, and grease. Oh, and who could forget the swearing, lots and lots of swearing.

I took the plunge and bought an E30. It will be the end of me, I know that. I know that going into it just like I know that my wallet will take a beating by this car.

What I don't know is if it will be worth it.

I do know that when I got this car (4 days ago) it was undriveable, and what a feeling it was today when I finally got it going and drove it home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00803.jpg (153.2 KB, 1025 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00798.jpg (202.6 KB, 1023 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00805.jpg (119.4 KB, 1012 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00813.jpg (157.8 KB, 1017 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00797.jpg (183.7 KB, 1023 views)
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Dude, I just bought a vert in Oct for a grand; I'm now up to about 5000.00 incl price of car. At least I got a hard top with it. So, you won't be needing to drop that kinda money but be prepared to spend a couple grand to get it real purdie! lol

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Check all the usual rust spots and poke around with a screwdriver to find any surprise holes that may or may not break it for you. Top corners of the inner front fender wells, bottom of the a pillar aka jack point, above the exhaust heat shield on the passenger floor, usual rear battery tray/valance, every inch of both side rear fender wells....

BTW I looked today for sunroof bits, all I have left is the top crank winding mechanism. No cables or rails or anything. Not sure if thats going to help you. Let me know.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Denny
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the journey of your life and deep pockets...lol

Check my blog out... I got lucky with my second E30....hope yours doesn't look like "rusty" my first one..

Wish you good luck happy to see another one being saved
2006 BMW 330i 6-speed black SOLD
2001 BMW X5 4.4 - Auto - black on black - SOLD
1989 BMW 535i - 5-speed - black -SOLD (kept M30B35/tranny for E30)

1985 BMW 325 E 5-speed (new project)
1987 BMW 325 5-speed - work in progress
http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/
Part 2 (Supercharger/turbo build)
http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com

Other interests:
http://www.xbox360.com
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dennymedeiros
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Cool acquisition. what inital plans do you have for it?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
Dude, I just bought a vert in Oct for a grand; I'm now up to about 5000.00 incl price of car. At least I got a hard top with it. So, you won't be needing to drop that kinda money but be prepared to spend a couple grand to get it real purdie! lol
I don't think I will be spending that kind of money, but I know with these cars it always ends up costing more then planned.

So far from what I noticed there are a lot of little things that should have been fixed already but were neglected. Little things that don't affect the way the car runs but they still need to be fixed nevertheless.

The main thing I am concerned with right now is an oil leak I just found out about that is pretty bad and getting an ICV and a proper intake boot... Did I mention the car came with an intake boot from an automatic that has an extra hole for an additional vacuum hose? No wonder I couldn't get the car to idle with the engine only getting half the air it needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Check all the usual rust spots and poke around with a screwdriver to find any surprise holes that may or may not break it for you. Top corners of the inner front fender wells, bottom of the a pillar aka jack point, above the exhaust heat shield on the passenger floor, usual rear battery tray/valance, every inch of both side rear fender wells....

BTW I looked today for sunroof bits, all I have left is the top crank winding mechanism. No cables or rails or anything. Not sure if thats going to help you. Let me know.
I am going to work on the interior this week and hopefully get it on jack stands on the weekend. I need to get winter tires on it, check out the oil leak, and try to fix the emergency brake. At that time I can do a more thorough check for rust.

I hope I have time to remove the headliner tomorrow. I am sure the sunroof cable is disconnected I just don't know if it popped out or broke free. Thanks for looking and I will let you know as soon as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Welcome to the journey of your life and deep pockets...lol

Check my blog out... I got lucky with my second E30....hope yours doesn't look like "rusty" my first one..

Wish you good luck happy to see another one being saved
I have checked out your blog and I was really wondering how you were going to save that car from all of that rust! I wasn't surprised when you got rid of it. I know I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Cool acquisition. what inital plans do you have for it?
Initial plans are to fix the little things and catch up on lapsed maintenance. Overall the car was maintained pretty well. I am going to drive it through Winter and hopefully work out the kinks by Spring. Then I can start to have fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I purchased some parts yesterday and I am just waiting to be delivered.

An ICV to fix the idle problem. My interior driver side door handle is just barely on and I know it will snap off at some point so I got a new one. I also ordered a few blank keys since my key is broken to the point that it is only the metal part with nothing attached to it.

I had a few questions that maybe someone has an answer to. I tried to search but couldn't come up with anything.

What is a good price for a set of iX flares and skirts? Assuming it is in good shape and wouldn't need any repairs aside from paint. There aren't too many for sale for price comparison.

I was thinking about putting iX basketweaves on my E30 but I was wondering if there are any positives/negatives to using these as opposed to euroweaves (15" ET24)? Aside from the extra work and having to buy spacers and longer bolts will there be any differences in the handling, appearance, ride quality, etc?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Hehe, your car has the same name as my friend's speed boat.

GL with the project
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Banned

...ROCK ON!!!"
411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
mgunter
2nd Gear Member

I have a manual crank sunroof track if you need it. You'd just have to come to Kingston to get it.

And I bought IX basketweaves for the spring. I cheaped out and got some universal spacers (around $50 for spacers and bolts) from FAST for now because my e30 may get parked for a while. I can get you a set (at that price), but again....road trip!
mgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Fight the good fight man!

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^ hahah aint that the truth! it seems like everytime I go home from work, i get some new problems with the car. most recent one is the ebrake clicking noise, before that coolant reservior tank sensor, and squealing alt. belt, and before that, oil/service indictor cluster lighting up like a christmas tree! I can already hear my exhaust getting louder, so i guess i have to save up the pennies for a new (used) exhaust system. Even with all these little problems, the e30 is a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by E36is; 02-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.
E36is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Thanks everyone!

I still haven't had a chance to work on the car... Too damn cold outside! Supposed to be warmer this weekend and if not I'm putting a heater in the garage. The parts I ordered have been shipped so they should be here next week.

Nobody has any information about iX skirts, flares, and wheels? Will 4 door iX skirts fit a 2 door? Just want to make sure before I buy them.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
E36is
'OldSchool..'

2 door ix was never a canadian product, so its very rare. US was the only country to have both the 4 and 2 door version, and i believe only the front fender flare is a direct bolt on for 2 and 4 door.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultName View Post
Thanks everyone!

I still haven't had a chance to work on the car... Too damn cold outside! Supposed to be warmer this weekend and if not I'm putting a heater in the garage. The parts I ordered have been shipped so they should be here next week.

Nobody has any information about iX skirts, flares, and wheels? Will 4 door iX skirts fit a 2 door? Just want to make sure before I buy them.
Yes the iX skirts will fit, but you need to trim your side moldings to fit the flares.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: