Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
sski
2nd Gear Member

Used all the Bimmer’s capabilities

My wife was driving the X3 home last night coming north on the 400. She’s in the right lane…some idiot comes whipping around the on-ramp and pulls straight into her lane in front of her as soon as he clears the median rather than using the acceleration lane and properly merging. So she hammers on the brakes to avoid hitting him…ABS kicks in, Bimmer slows straight as an arrow. Of course now, the tractor-trailer behind her is flashing his lights to let her know he is there (and won’t be able to slow/stop as fast as her...ie/ I’m gunna rear-end you and not in a GOOD way). Quick shoulder check…Centre lane is clear…she’s off the brake, hammers the gas…Bimmer hauls a$$ to the centre lane and she goes about her business.

Would this have ended the same in a different vehicle? Do you really need those big brakes…do you really need the torque and acceleration…most of the time, not really, but I think it made a difference here.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Glad everything went safely for you and your wife. Always have a lookout for these careless pricks out there, we all know they don't.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
come teach my wife how to drive. She's a great driver until something goes wrong, and then she panics.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
My wife was driving the X3 home last night coming north on the 400. She’s in the right lane…some idiot comes whipping around the on-ramp and pulls straight into her lane in front of her as soon as he clears the median rather than using the acceleration lane and properly merging. So she hammers on the brakes to avoid hitting him…ABS kicks in, Bimmer slows straight as an arrow. Of course now, the tractor-trailer behind her is flashing his lights to let her know he is there (and won’t be able to slow/stop as fast as her...ie/ I’m gunna rear-end you and not in a GOOD way). Quick shoulder check…Centre lane is clear…she’s off the brake, hammers the gas…Bimmer hauls a$$ to the centre lane and she goes about her business.

Would this have ended the same in a different vehicle? Do you really need those big brakes…do you really need the torque and acceleration…most of the time, not really, but I think it made a difference here.
Your wife's driving FTW, take her out to dinner!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
sski
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
come teach my wife how to drive. She's a great driver until something goes wrong, and then she panics.
I know it all costs money but a one day skid school course might be a good investment. Most people don't know how to deal with a panic situation until they are in the middle of it and now it's a bit too late. At least at skid school you get to "screw up" in a safe situation. Then when she actually has the car drifting sideways in blizzard, trying to avoid hitting six other cars that don't know what the hell they are doing all while trying to avoid ditching it...she hopefully won't panic...just remember your training and steer it out.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

i took the gf to an empty parking lot and taught her how to drive in the snow, not only was it fun but she acutally learned alot, shes much more confident (but still knows her limits and to stay within them) and the fact that shes not all stressed out means i can relax when shes driving.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
LOL like someone else I know

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Ya I agree. Take her to dinner. Sounds like shes a cool cat behind the wheel.
Probably coulve pulled that off in a corolla too....

albeit might have taken a bit more work
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
zackman17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg07lq View Post
i took the gf to an empty parking lot and taught her how to drive in the snow, not only was it fun but she acutally learned alot, shes much more confident (but still knows her limits and to stay within them) and the fact that shes not all stressed out means i can relax when shes driving.
lol you didn't look too relaxed when she was pulling out of timmes a few weeks ago in your car haha good times
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

^this is true. shes better haha i didnt say she had it down 100% yet
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Everytime Canada's Worst Driver is on we have a family view night and watch what they're teaching them. The recent snow storm has been great for parking lot skid training too.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
Everytime Canada's Worst Driver is on we have a family view night and watch what they're teaching them. The recent snow storm has been great for parking lot skid training too.
oh man it pisses me off to watch that show, cause the people in it are just idiots behind the wheel, i think it's a setup too, because from my point of view there is noooo way someone could drive that f@cked up

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: