Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #16
fz-e30
2nd Gear Member

I planing to tackle the issue this week in my Friends garage.

Will let know how difficult will it be as a first time person ...
fz-e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz-e30 View Post
Will let know how difficult will it be as a first time person ...
My advice is to get the biggest sliding hammer you can find to get the rear hub off. The first time I took over an hour trying to get it off, after a while i figured out all it needed was muscle, second time around I hammered it out in 5mins because i knew i couldn't break anything.
Other than that, taking off all the brake parts are easy. The only other hard part is getting the bearing out, make sure to take the slip ring off before trying to push it out. Once it's out soak it with some lube and try to get that bearing out.
My favorite method requires a power air hammer. Hammer it from behind, pushing it out, just be careful that you are hammering the bearing and no the housing.

Other than that, it's a piece of cake.

oh yea, i forgot to mention in there you should remove the half shalfs.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #18
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

If you don't have air tools your best choice is a 3lb mini-sledge hammer and a socket or thick pipe that fits inside the bearing housing that you can use to slam the bearing out. Basically a heavy hammer + well placed smacks will drive it out. PB Blaster is highly recommended as the penetrating oil, it's the only one that seems to work as well as the wurth stuff and is available at canadian tire / part source. Good luck! BTW, you can rent the slide hammer (with a puller attachment) and large sockets from canadian tire / part source, all you give is a deposit and you have 3 days to return it.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
fz-e30
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
My advice is to get the biggest sliding hammer you can find to get the rear hub off. The first time I took over an hour trying to get it off, after a while i figured out all it needed was muscle, second time around I hammered it out in 5mins because i knew i couldn't break anything.
Other than that, taking off all the brake parts are easy. The only other hard part is getting the bearing out, make sure to take the slip ring off before trying to push it out. Once it's out soak it with some lube and try to get that bearing out.
My favorite method requires a power air hammer. Hammer it from behind, pushing it out, just be careful that you are hammering the bearing and no the housing.

Other than that, it's a piece of cake.

oh yea, i forgot to mention in there you should remove the half shalfs.

I wont have the air hammer, but I take your advice and ask my buddy if he's sliding hammer at least.
thanks so much for sharing your experience
fz-e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

slide hammer to remove hub, use an impact wrench on a large threaded screw with properly sized cups to pull the bearing out and push it back in. Can be done in about an hour. This also avoids hitting the bearing with a hammer... bad idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: